Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
'Prophet' Confronts Pastor John MacArthur

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:27 pm
'Prophet' Confronts Pastor John MacArthur With Message 'From God' That He Is 'in Error' Before Congregation  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:37 pm

What do you think about the article and the "Strange Fire" conference?

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

I don't agree with MacArthur that the gifts of the Spirits such as speaking in tongues has ended, but I agree that some of the ways this particular gift has been used is not based on what we see in the Bible and that some Pentecostals have gone too far in saying that this is the one gift that proves someone has the Holy Spirit. I don't agree with how this man stormed the pulpit and demanded attention. It is not the way to go about correcting anyone. It seemed more like a PR stunt than a call to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:25
Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm
Garland-Green
Scarlet_Teardrops

I don't agree with MacArthur that the gifts of the Spirits such as speaking in tongues has ended, but I agree that some of the ways this particular gift has been used is not based on what we see in the Bible and that some Pentecostals have gone too far in saying that this is the one gift that proves someone has the Holy Spirit. I don't agree with how this man stormed the pulpit and demanded attention. It is not the way to go about correcting anyone. It seemed more like a PR stunt than a call to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:25
Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

I don't agree with John MacArthur either. But there are definitely abuses of God's spiritual gifts. For example, the idea of "getting drunk in the Spirit" seems to run contrary to being sober-minded (1 Pet. 5:8, for example). Additionally, I have seen how people act when they are "drunk in the Spirit". They do not preach. They just laugh and act foolish. This "holy drunkenness" interferes with feeding the sheep.

I was shown a video by a relative of mine of a congregation that was "blessed" with "joy in the Spirit". Everyone was laughing and no one was taking anything seriously. Grown men were on the floor convulsing. Some of them were kicking about, flailing their arms. When we read the Scriptures, what we see is that such behavior is caused by demonic possession. People are thrown to the ground. They convulse.

Would the Spirit of God make men fall to the ground and convulse? Would He make men kick and flail about while laughing? What about older men being sober minded, dignified, and self controlled (Titus 2:2)?

I do not necessarily disagree with what the man did. It may have been a publicity stunt. But I also didn't watch the video.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces