Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
just sunday worship?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

oiu251

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:31 pm
heard sunday is the counterfeit sabbath,

is it better to go to early services that my church provides daily as well as attending on sundays?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 pm
God made the planet Earth with a seven day time system to go with it. We work for six days. Then he offers us one day to rest and worship him. The bible says this is the Seventh day/Sabbath/Saturday. When the roman empire started using the catholic church to gain control over the people, they changed the day of worship to Sunday to convince sun worshippers to become Christians (under their control) and the previously existing Christians i guess took no real notice since they practically listened to everything that the catholic leaders told them. For more information you could read The Great Controversy. Ellen white exposes many historic facts about religion pertaining to several things that happened in europe and america. Such as pagans adopting religious titles in order to gain government power, when, they don't actually worship for the right reasons.  

Bloopercat

Floppy Star

5,400 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Bloopercat

Floppy Star

5,400 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:54 pm
Oh, and, don't worry about what day you worship just yet. As long as you're willing to seek the truth and be influenced by it, everything will line up. Seek Jesus in everything you do and wherever you are. Seek to expose his love and righteousness in a way that welcomes and draws others closer. There's no certain way to worship. A little everyday is good. And it gives you a chance to be open and have your own personal relationship with God. Be satisfied with your freedom to worship and take advantage of that right, so you can offer it to others too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:26 pm
oiu251
heard sunday is the counterfeit sabbath,

is it better to go to early services that my church provides daily as well as attending on sundays?

No matter what people say or do, the weekly Sabbath, that corresponds to the fourth commandment, is always the seventh day of the week—not the first day of the week. New Testament and Old Testament alike, that definition doesn't change.

Old Testament

• Exodus 20:8-11 (NIV)

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

• Leviticus 23:3 (NIV)

3 “‘There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the Lord.

New Testament

• Matthew 28:1 (NIV)

28 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Sacred assembly = gather with other believers, communicate with them, learn from the law and the prophets, no working for monetary gain or to exhaustion. The Sabbath day is a day to rejuvenate spiritually and physically. And of course, save lives and heal (which, in effect, allows people to rest from their pain and from their burdens on their body and mind; thus why healing and saving lives is allowed). But working, labor, exhaustion is prohibited—work/labor as defined by the commands and precepts of our Father, not Pharisaical interpretation.

Considering Jesus commanded us to obey what is read from Moses' seat:

• Matthew 23:1-3 (NIV)

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

...then we should obey Jesus, and do just that.

Believers started gathering on the first day of the week (Sunday) to commemorate Jesus' resurrection, and that's fine. But that doesn't all of a sudden make the first day of the week the weekly Sabbath day. They are two separate things. The day Jesus rose from the dead and people went to the tomb and found it empty VS. the Sabbath.

And considering Sabbath day observance will continue in the future, quite literally:

• Isaiah 56:6-8 (NIV)

6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
            to minister to him,
        to love the name of the Lord,
            and to be his servants,
        all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
            and who hold fast to my covenant—
        7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
            and give them joy in my house of prayer.
        Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
            will be accepted on my altar;
        for my house will be called
            a house of prayer for all nations.”
        8 The Sovereign Lord declares—
            he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
        I will gather still others to them
            besides those already gathered.”

• Isaiah 66:22-24 (NIV)

22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord. 24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

Then I would say, yes, we foreigners should guard the Sabbath day as it is written. We're being gathered to Israel. And we're not going to worship differently than they do under the New Covenant.

• Jeremiah 31:31-33 (NIV)

31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
            “when I will make a new covenant
        with the people of Israel
            and with the people of Judah.

32 It will not be like the covenant
            I made with their ancestors
        when I took them by the hand
            to lead them out of Egypt,
        because they broke my covenant,
            though I was a husband to[a] them,[b]”
                declares the Lord.
        33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
            after that time,” declares the Lord.
        “I will put my law in their minds
            and write it on their hearts.
        I will be their God,
            and they will be my people.

Footnotes:

a. Jeremiah 31:32 Hebrew; Septuagint and Syriac / and I turned away from
        b. Jeremiah 31:32 Or was their master

Note: the Pharisees didn't keep the fourth commandment nor the fifth commandment the way it was written in the Law of Moses. They would teach traditions and traditional interpretations that nullified what the Father said. So no one kept the command as it was written.

• Matthew 15:1-9 (NIV)

15 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’[a] and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[b] 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
            but their hearts are far from me.
        9 They worship me in vain;
            their teachings are merely human rules.’[c]”

Footnotes:

a. Matthew 15:4 Exodus 20:12; Deut. 5:16
        b. Matthew 15:4 Exodus 21:17; Lev. 20:9
        c. Matthew 15:9 Isaiah 29:13

I went on a little tangent there to demonstrate Jesus' stance on nullifying the commands of the Father, and making up excuses to not to keep the command as it is written—as pious, and God-centered as those excuses may be, it is unacceptable to not keep the command the way God said to.

But to take it back to the prophecies in Isaiah: have the two prophecies foretelling a day when foreigners and people from all nations will keep the Sabbath day come to pass already? I would say, "no". Isaiah 66 is still future, even talking about the "worm the dieth not" (which Jesus refers to when speaking of Gehenna/the lake of fire).

• Mark 9:47-48 (NIV)

47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
                and the fire is not quenched.’[a]

Footnotes:

a. Mark 9:48 Isaiah 66:24

So, more than just the nation of Israel, more than just Jews, but ALL mankind, foreigners, keeping the weekly Sabbath—is yet to happen.

That is sufficient evidence—from the Law, the prophets, and the gospels—to prompt us to treat the seventh day of the week the way it is commanded. And not allow traditional interpretation to tell us otherwise.

But don't think it is sin to gather on Sunday. Gathering with believers on any day of the week is not a sin.

What is sin?

• 1 John 3:4 (NIV)

4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

Is there a law that says, "you can't gather on any other day to praise me and learn about the scriptures?" No, there is no such prohibition. The sin (transgression of the law) would be refusing to guard the Sabbath day as holy, the way God commanded. So, gather, listen to sermons, sing spiritual songs, enjoy spiritual things all days of the week. But obey the biblical commands for keeping the Sabbath day holy (don't work / make profit or exhaust yourself that day; dedicate it to spiritual tasks because the other six days of the week you cannot dedicate a full 24 hours to such things).

It's very simple but people complicate the matter because of unstably handling Paul's epistles. I've addressed this, and more, in another thread (it's in a separate guild, but you can still read it): [Details in the New Testament that Get Ignored] touching on details people ignore in Jesus' sayings, Paul's writings and the rest of the apostles writings as well.

In a nutshell, two points:

(1) whatever the bible says about the Sabbath day, to do on the Sabbath, do on the seventh day of the week; whatever it tells you not to do on the Sabbath day, don't do on the seventh day of the week.It's a 24-hour period to set-aside and not do your common things. It's holy/set-apart for what God said to do / not do, not following your own way.

• Isaiah 58:13 (NIV)

13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
            and from doing as you please on my holy day,
        if you call the Sabbath a delight
            and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
        and if you honor it by not going your own way
            and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

(2) you can gather on any day of the week with believers to praise and learn about the scriptures; it's not a sin to gather with believers on the first day of the week. However, it is a sin to not guard the Sabbath day, the seventh day of the week, as holy the way the Father commands.

FYI: even secular websites recognize that biblically Sunday is the first day of the week, so don't let people fool you about calendar changes.

Quote:
  • Sunday, the first day of the week. It is regarded by most Christians as the Lord’s Day, or the weekly memorial of Jesus Christ’s Resurrection from the dead.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/Sunday-day-of-week

• According to the Bible, the Sabbath or Saturday is the last day of the week which marks Sunday as the first day of the week for many Jewish and Christian faiths, while many countries regard Monday as the first day of the week.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/days/

The one who tries to change the times of God is not of God.

• Daniel 7:25 (NIV)

25 He will speak against the Most High and oppress his holy people and try to change the set times and the laws. The holy people will be delivered into his hands for a time, times and half a time.[a]

Footnotes:

a. Daniel 7:25 Or for a year, two years and half a year

And, again, referring to the timeanddate website:

Quote:
  • According to the international standard ISO 8601, Monday is the first day of the week ending with Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Although this is the international standard, countries such as the United States still have their calendars refer to Sunday as the start of the seven-day week.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/days/

The world may change, but God doesn't.

I hope this helps you heart

Peace be with you, in Jesus' name.

cristobela
Vice Captain

oiu251

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 am
Cristaliacat15

from the tradition handed down directly by the romans from that time it's obvious why christians worship on sundays if they're not keeping the sabbath; because practically all currently celebrated occassions and holidays were passed down from the catholic heads throughout their repeated deceptive history and abuse of power

yes, i want to do exactly just that: worship everyday while keeping the sabbath!

cristobela

i know the specific day was set by the catholics' who idolized worship to their sun god bringing it down on the latter generations all throughout history,
however, i have to keep the sabbath holy apart from commemorating the day of the Lord's ressurection since i know the day when He rose should also be celebrated, not the sun god

yet i know that sunday is not the sabbath so thank you for your informative reply!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:27 pm
Just remember, Sabbath is actually made for us. We work six days and rests on the 7th, just how God worked 6 days and rested on the 7th. If we are working 7 days straight, we would get all worked out. So it is made for us to rest our bodies.

We actually see evidence in the New Testament on how a few people got accused of breaking this Law. But Jesus asks some compelling questions, such as in Luke 14:1 - 5.

But rather it is on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or any day of the week, I believe it is up to the individual conscience. Because the Bible says that one man esteem one day above another and one esteem all alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. (Romans 14:5) "And Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days." (Colossians 2:16)  

Biblical_Counselor

Lady Vizsla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:01 pm
The Sabbath is really Saturday being the seventh day of the week. But it does not matter what day one attends church service. The Sabbath was made for man not the other way around.  
The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games