Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Hotel Block New Wristbands Policy? Your thoughts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think about the new Hotel Wrist Band Policy?
I hate it.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
I love it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care/It doesn't affect me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Although I dislike it, it does more good than bad.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Although I like the idea behind it, it does more bad than good.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Hypnotic Dentist

IRL Warlock

46,925 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:39 pm
I noticed Anime Expo started this thing last year and are continuing it this year:

The Hotel Block Wristband Policy

What is it?
When you book your hotel room under the official con hotel block, the hotel will give you the number of wristbands for the people you registered in your room, up to 4 people. You can find more information on the wristbands here: http://www.anime-expo.org/hotel-booking-policies/

What do you need the wristband for?
You need the wristbands to enter your hotel and use the elevator to gain access to your hotel room. No wristband = no access to your hotel room.

Why are they doing this?
Most likely to prevent people from overstuffing their hotel rooms. So it will prevent people who aren't listed in your room from entering it and sleeping over past the limit of 4 people.

Why do people overstuff?
To split the cost of the expensive hotel room and making it cheaper per person. Or because your squad has over 4 people in it. Sometimes an extra friend will stay over one night. More people, more fun. Etc. many reasons.

Why is overstuffing hotel rooms an issue?
It elicits a fire hazard. Your hotel can also be fined for allowing more people per rooms than what the city permits. If that happens then the hotel has the right to kick you out of the room earlier than expected without issuing a refund. More people = more noise = more complaints from other hotel guests. Sometimes less is more. Imagine sharing a tiny room with 8+ people and only 2 queen sized beds. I'm sure you have experienced this once before. I have and it was a living nightmare and a huge mess.

How can I get around the wristband policy?
You can book the hotel outside of the official hotel block, but you will also have to check in earlier or later than the con dates so you look like you are there for other reasons than the con. You can also book hotels OUTSIDE of the official hotel block. My group books the Miyako Inn in Little Tokyo. The food is a great and the hotel is cheaper than the rates listed in the hotel block. Also the shuttle to the con is a brisk walk around the corner.

What do you think about the new wristbands policy for the hotel rooms? How will people host parties in their rooms even if they have no extra people sleeping over? Do you think it does more good than it does bad? Do you think the other way around? What is your opinion on it?
Do you have any personal stories or horror stories about overstuffing a hotel room you shared?

my personal story:
I have been booking hotel rooms for nearly 8 years. It took many years to refine the squad. At first, I used to book rooms and figured "the cheaper the better" so I would over stuff the room and have everyone pay a low price. One time it got so bad, we had 9 people. It was a nightmare. A mess. There was costumes and trash everywhere. You could barely see the sink in the bathroom. Showering was a nightmare. It was not worth it. Plus more people means more drama. I hated this part the most. I was able to cut down the squad to 5 people who were ALWAYS reliable and never caused drama. They were my closest friends who had positive attitudes. Not a single pessimist or a cynical attitude. So I asked them, "What would you guys rather do in regards to the hotel rooms? Pay less but have more people OR pay more but have less people." They all agreed it was better to pay more and have less people in the room. It worked out in the end in the best ways possible. We were able to fit comfortably and party to our liking. It was nice. My bf and I love our squad so much and are thankful to them for hanging out with us that in the last 2 years, we have paid 5x over our share of the room in order to lower the cost for our friends and make it affordable to them to ensure their attendance. It wouldn't be the same without them. If you have a habit of overstuffing your hotel room, I suggest to ask yourself, "Is it worth it? Which members of the group seem to always cause drama and have negative attitudes? Which friends are unreliable and cancel last minute or pay less than they promised for their share of the room?"
Friends are nice to have. But it's nicer to have a closer relationship with a smaller group of people rather than spreading it out thin among a larger group. Even if you cut people out of your hotel room group, they will still be your friends. It will be more beneficial if you cut people from the hotel room than overstuff them all in a small cramped space. Try it once, I promise you will never go back to overstuffing.

If you WANT to have 6 people to your room, I highly recommend booking at a Residence Inn by Marriott. You'll have to book their biggest suite, 2 bedrooms each with a bed plus a pullout couch bed. It legally accommodates 6 people. It comes equipped with a full kitchen. Also i noticed that it's one of the most cheaper hotels I have ever booked for such a big value. 2 bedrooms + kitchen + 3 beds+ also free breakfast. Highly recommended.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:47 am
Wow, thanks for the tips. I live fairly close to LA (by close I mean 45 mins away) so I would drive from my home and park in the underground parking (convention or LA live). Problem with that is convention parking closes at 9 pm ish leaving me with no real place to stay.

Back when AX was in long beach we stuffed a room with 6 people with two beds, the older members passed out on the bed after drinking (which was fun to sharpie) but us the younger people were stuck on the floor. Like you said showering was a nightmare and there was booze every sq inch of the place. Since we also did a coed group there was a lot of awkward "don't come in here we're changing" moments.

Unfortunately most of my friends stopped going or already have well established groups, I pretty much have to do the whole commuting thing. This is also the main reason I only go to expos near Los Angeles. At some point I would like to get a cosplay group or just a few friends that regularly go to expos to do a room share like you do.  

Rurouni_Fear

Hygienic Friend

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:42 pm
I believe the new rule is to also cut down on room parties. every single time i stayed at the JW for AX the room parties would get way to out of hand.

Upwards of 40 people at the party causing a lot of damages.

I would never have any more than five people in a room to begin with. hotel rooms are already small as hell, and if you can't afford the hotel room with five people.. you shouldn't be going.

but that's just my super blunt opinion XD  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:22 am
A few thoughts about Hotel Block Wristband Policies:

I went to the Anime Expo link listed to read it's Hotel Block Wristband Policy. I noticed a few interesting things. The con lists all of the hotels participating in their Hotel Block program which is great advertising for those hotels. The policy appears to apply to everyone going to the con and staying at one of the Hotel Block Hotels including guests, vendors, attendees, etc. Some of the hotels require a cleaning deposit in case the room is trashed. Also I noticed that they indicated that their will be security guards at all of the elevators to enforce the policy.

Their are a few problems that I can see with the policy. 1. Is that if you lose your wristband you can't get to your room. 2. If you are staying at one of the hotels in the block it could be confusing if their are other people also staying at the hotel for another reason. 3. Wristbands could be passed around to other people. 4. If you are wearing a Cosplay outfit wearing a wristband could be awkward. 5. The biggest problem that I see is that the Hotels want the people gong to the convention to stay at their places and this policy could actually turn people away instead.

I can understand why the Hotels want to use this policy. During the last few years their has been a big jump in the number of people going to cons in general around the country. Using the Wristband policy is an effort to control the growing crowds. They want people to stay at their hotels but they also don't want things to get out of hand. Some cons have also had to limit the number of people going to the con as well.

My advice is to plan ahead when going to any convention. Be aware of all policies and adjust your plans accordingly. Instead of "over stuffing" a room split your group up and use more than one room instead. If this means saving up more money over time to do this in the long run I think that everyone will be happier. Allow for more time to go back and forth to your room. Since their will be people checking out your wristbands their could be lines. Unfortunately standing in lines is a common thing for cons so everyone needs to be prepared for it.

In general I personally think that the Wristband policy is a step in the right direction. I did make note of potential problems above which I hope can be worked out. I do hope that the policy works out so that everyone can have a good time at the con.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers