Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
"Feels good being a non-denominational Christian."

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:07 am
Anonymous
Every time someone gets up about Christianity with dumb s**t like Leviticus or anti-Islam or MUH GAYS, I get to sit back and relax and know I'm not part of that crockshit and people know I'm not.

Feels extra good whenever I visit a church and get judgmental stares when they find I'm non-demoniational. You wouldn't believe the arguments I'd stir just by saying "New Testament makes Leviticus irrelevant". You wouldn't believe how much s**t I get for saying "God's not here anymore, he left the world for us, he's off in his heaven waiting for us to join him," and people say I'm heathenic for even dare suggesting God abandoned us (Because pushing the fledgeling out of the nest is totally abandonment, right?).

Not even sarcastic. I freakin' love it. No more religious stress or concerns. I got all the answers I need.

What are your thoughts on what this person said?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:56 pm
I don't completely agree on anonymous' views on Old Testament theology being completely irrelevant or 'where' God supposedly is. It's fine if he/she is happy being non-denominational. I certainly am also though I would consider myself at least Protestant. Christians interpret things differently and that's normal because we're not clones and we don't all think in the same way. Anonymous should be a bit more sensitive I would say...  

Lady Vizsla

King Shining Heaven

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 am
Anon comes off as kind of smug. I mean, I'm also non-denominational and I also avoid debates over these things because I'm satisfied with my conclusions, but s/he seems to take pleasure out of getting religious people in a frenzy. Then again, we don't know the actual context of this conversation.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:18 am
I agree with the title for the very opposite reason: because I do believe Leviticus is still relevant for today, but many denominations do not. I'm tired of, and detest, traditional interpretations that deny Christ's teachings; it's the leaven of the LAWLESS Pharisees. "Anonymous" clearly hates the New Testament. He is deceiving himself or she is deceiving herself; what Anon hates is the bible, not a denomination.

Not alone / not abandoned by God:

• John 14:18-19 (NIV)

18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.

• John 14:23 (NIV)

23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Indulging homosexual desires is shameful:

• Romans 1:26-28 (NIV)

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

Whatever merits death—according to God's Law—is still NOT right to do:

• Romans 1:32 (NIV)

32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Death penalty by the government—if done justly—is still right to do:

• Romans 13:3-5 (NIV)

3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

• Matthew 15:3-9 (NIV)

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’[a] and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[b] 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
        but their hearts are far from me.
        9 They worship me in vain;
        their teachings are merely human rules.’[c]”

Footnotes:

a. Matthew 15:4 Exodus 20:12; Deut. 5:16
        b. Matthew 15:4 Exodus 21:17; Lev. 20:9
        c. Matthew 15:9 Isaiah 29:13

Stoning to death is fine if done fairly by the Sanhedrin. Jesus expected them to obey this. And in the epistle to the Romans, that sword is not there to tickle anyone, but to cut/punish/kill. We should love mercy and to seek to reconcile people to God by their accepting Christ, becoming born-again, so that through the Spirit they could put the misdeeds of the body to death, but that doesn't do away with justice.

"Anonymous" denies both the Father and the Son. What's the point in calling oneself CHRIST-ian, at all, if one denies what Christ said? and denies His Father? What exactly about Christ do they like? Whatever they like, it's a false or incomplete understanding if it has anon denying the Old Testament (and the New). He/she is non-denominational for the wrong reasons.

cristobela
Vice Captain

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:29 pm
It sounds to me like Anonymous may not be a Christian at all. His speech lacks love, and the fact that he uses their non-denominational stance as an excuse to not get involved in particular issues sounds like he's taking the easy way out.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:14 am
Lady Kariel

I think also he is attempting to escape important questions by claiming he doesn't belong to any particular denomination like OtakuKat said. I myself don't belong to any denomination but I hold to some of the views that many denominations and nondenominational hold simply because it is what the Bible teach.

Young King under Heaven

He has also dangerously cut himself off from any critique and any aid in growth that he could have from a Christian fellowship, by claiming no one has any authority over him. How he is portraying himself is all I know about him, because it was all he wrote.

OtakuKat

That could be a possibility. He also seems to be more at odds with his Christian brothers than he is with the world.

cristobela

I agree with you cristobela. It seems to be more of a Bible problem, than a problem with opinions.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

kattneko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 am
I actually see this issue a lot in the young "christian" world today. My own sister is among them. They read the Bible, cherry pick what they want to hear and walk away from the rest because it's not convenient. What people fail to realize is that the Bible was not written in English (sorry KJV-ers(jk)). It was written in Greek and Aramaic. Not modern Greek, Koine Greek, any so they translate poorly. Also, most of the books in the new testament were letters and so not meant to be read a verse or chapter at a time. The letters were not divided thusly until the 13th century, if I recall correctly. These pieces are meant to be read all at once, not sifted through and sorted out. God created each individual to be unique and so He has a unique relationship with each on of us, however, I don't subscribe to the idea that we can take throw away 2000 years of teachings and Traditions that help us to understand the Bible simply because we are special snowflakes.
Anonymous seems to enjoy making people angry and frustrated. I know many non-denominational Christians, it's not an unheard of thing. The way he presents it though gives all of the others a bad reputation. He also has very clearly not studied and reflected on the Word recently, as the Bible states quite clearly the opposite of what he does. These aren't denominational things. These are principles that are at the heart of the Christian faith.  
The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games