Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Canada May Ban Anti-Transgender Speech With 2 Years in Priso

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 pm
Canada's Liberal Party government led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has introduced a bill that would ban transgender discrimination, including both gender identity and gender expression, with up to two years in prison for violators.

The bill seeks to amend the Canadian Criminal Code to expand existing "hate speech" prohibitions to include any public speech or communication that "promotes hatred" on the basis of "gender identity" or "gender expression," and also the Canadian Human Rights Act, to cover transgender people.

"As a society, we have taken many important steps toward recognizing and protecting the legal rights for the LGBTQ2 community – from enshrining equality rights in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to the passage of the Civil Marriage Act," Trudeau said in a speech, announcing the bill on International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia on May 17. "There remains much to be done, though. Far too many people still face harassment, discrimination, and violence for being who they are. This is unacceptable."

He added: "To do its part, the Government of Canada today will introduce legislation that will help ensure transgender and other gender-diverse people can live according to their gender identity, free from discrimination, and protected from hate propaganda and hate crimes."

Read more: Source  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:12 am
This world... gonk they're essentially requiring that you go along with the lie or get fined.

That said, they should comment on whether or not they classify the Bible as "hate propaganda", thus is a ban against speaking the Biblical stance on gender identity and sexual expression or not, so we don't have to assume the worst.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:43 am
cristobela
This world... gonk they're essentially requiring that you go along with the lie or get fined.

That said, they should comment on whether or not they classify the Bible as "hate propaganda", thus is a ban against speaking the Biblical stance on gender identity and sexual expression or not, so we don't have to assume the worst.

Quote from further down the article;

In 2013, the Canadian Supreme Court upheld the conviction of a Christian street preacher for distributing fliers denouncing homosexual behavior. The court justified the conviction on the grounds that he used "vilifying and derogatory representations to create a tone of hatred" against homosexuals, according to The Daily Caller. The court held that the pastor's religious freedom did not excuse him from violating "hate propaganda" laws.

I think that sets what you would call a presedens in what to do with similar cases.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 am
Garland-Green
cristobela

In 2013, the Canadian Supreme Court upheld the conviction of a Christian street preacher for distributing fliers denouncing homosexual behavior. The court justified the conviction on the grounds that he used "vilifying and derogatory representations to create a tone of hatred" against homosexuals, according to The Daily Caller. The court held that the pastor's religious freedom did not excuse him from violating "hate propaganda" laws.

I think that sets what you would call a presedens in what to do with similar cases.

Yeah, that part of the article was a bit too vague for me. I wanted to know what was written on the actual flier itself. In the process of trying to find out what it specifically said, I found a similar story: an American preacher in the streets of London arrested for calling homosexuality a sin (now that is specific enough for me; though it is a different country).

link: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/preacher-arrested-for-calling-homosexuality-a-sin.html

cristobela
Vice Captain

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm
cristobela
Garland-Green
cristobela

Yeah, that part of the article was a bit too vague for me. I wanted to know what was written on the actual flier itself. In the process of trying to find out what it specifically said, I found a similar story: an American preacher in the streets of London arrested for calling homosexuality a sin (now that is specific enough for me; though it is a different country).

link: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/preacher-arrested-for-calling-homosexuality-a-sin.html

You are right. What the flyers said matters. If you diverge from what the Bible say, and how things are phrased and do so in a less than humble way I think you are bound to get into trouble.

Found an article mentioning what he wrote in the flyers.

Anti-gay flyers violated hate law, Supreme Court rules

I still think though that people should not be punished by human law for holding ideas, or having thoughts, even expressing those thoughts in speech that are considered bigotry or even are hateful. I am not advocating that people should express themselves that way or that it is healthy or good for society, just that we are moving in to dangerous territory when we criminalize/penalize opinions. It is when thought is put into action that there should be a response. If the person then goes about to physically harm someone, or urge someone else to physically harm someone that there should be some form of judicial response.

James 1:15
Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

We see in this verse that God is not punishing someone because of a desire, but once the desire has led to action.

Yet Jesus said;

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So looking is to be considered an act. If that is an act then so is thinking, or speaking. I don't believe that Jesus is advocating that we should be thought police, e.g that we should prosecute thoughts using the secular court system, but that we ourselves are responsible for what we think to a Higher authority. That even thoughts matter and are weighed.

What are your thoughts on the matter?  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 am
Garland-Green
cristobela
Garland-Green
cristobela

You are right. What the flyers said matters. If you diverge from what the Bible say, and how things are phrased and do so in a less than humble way I think you are bound to get into trouble.

Found an article mentioning what he wrote in the flyers.

Anti-gay flyers violated hate law, Supreme Court rules

I still think though that people should not be punished by human law for holding ideas, or having thoughts, even expressing those thoughts in speech that are considered bigotry or even are hateful. I am not advocating that people should express themselves that way or that it is healthy or good for society, just that we are moving in to dangerous territory when we criminalize/penalize opinions. It is when thought is put into action that there should be a response. If the person then goes about to physically harm someone, or urge someone else to physically harm someone that there should be some form of judicial response.

James 1:15
Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

We see in this verse that God is not punishing someone because of a desire, but once the desire has led to action.

Yet Jesus said;

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So looking is to be considered an act. If that is an act then so is thinking, or speaking. I don't believe that Jesus is advocating that we should be thought police, e.g that we should prosecute thoughts using the secular court system, but that we ourselves are responsible for what we think to a Higher authority. That even thoughts matter and are weighed.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Same exact thoughts. User Image

edit to further clarify:

Just wanted to add: that under YHWH's Law, certain speech would be condemned to death. So, in theory, government punishing speech is not unjust, but just, as long as it agrees with YHWH's definition of speech that is punishable by the authorities. However, at that point, it's not human law, it's YHWH's Law.

• Deuteronomy 13:1-8 (NIV)

13 [a]If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the Lord your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them.

Footnotes:

a. Deuteronomy 13:1 In Hebrew texts 13:1-18 is numbered 13:2-19.

It is just / righteous for mere words to get a person killed.

Which is why democracy is so weird to me (YHWH does not tolerate freedom of religion nor freedom of speech). Whatever happens, even if they choose to limit freedom of expression and freedom of religion, Jesus is going to take over anyway. He won't allow freedom of religion or freedom of expression either. In a round about way, He's making them choose His logic one way or the other.

cristobela
Vice Captain

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces