Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Obama Wanted Jesus ‘Hidden’ At Catholic University

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 am
Excerpt; Remember when Obama gave a speech at a Catholic University and asked them to cover the crosses? You would expect that he would do that same thing in a Mosque…but you’re wrong.

President Obama gave a speech at a mosque in the Islamic Society of Baltimore on Wednesday. While standing in front of a glass wall where the word “Allah” was written 99 times in Arabic calligraphy...

Read more; Obama Wanted Jesus ‘Hidden’ At Catholic University, But LOOK What He Did With Allah

A White House spokesman also told news organizations following the story that the only motivation behind the request was to create a presidential image for TV. "Decisions made about the backdrop for the speech were made to have a consistent background of American flags, which is standard for many presidential events. Any suggestions to the contrary are simply false,” spokesman Shin Inouye told ABC News, the Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times.

CNSNews.com noted that while the "IHS" behind the president’s podium wasn’t visible, "the letters ‘IHS’ are posted elsewhere around the hall approximately 26 times" and that Obama mentioned Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount in his remarks. There are also religious paintings visible high above Obama’s head in MSNBC’s video of the speech.

Comment: Obama held the speech at Georgetown University in 2012, but I find it relevant to bring it up in light of his visit to the mosque. Do you think this is favoring one religion over the other? What do you think actions like these symbolizes to the world? Did Georgetown University deny Jesus by succumbing to White House wishes? Does it say something about Obama's own beliefs?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm
One difference: there were no flags in the mosque. Were Muslims adamant about not bringing flags into their sacred place (unlike Christians)? or was Obama identifying the USA with Christianity (and not Islam) by bringing flags into the church and not into the mosque? It could be interpreted so many ways. So many elements and intentions of the heart that we do not know.

I think Georgetown University denies Jesus more by making images of the Creator in the first place, which, judging by the pictures of the event, those paintings weren't covered—just like the Arabic words above Obama's head weren't covered. Maybe the letters "IHS" would mislead people to think it was a government institution? and maybe if it were written in a foreign alphabet Obama wouldn't have cared? But, again, the paintings in the church weren't covered. So...he's not about covering up the fact that he is in a religious setting (and whose) in either case.

The statement at the bottom of the article is so foolish. Obama is clearly not a Muslim. The quran does not accept homosexuality (Surah 7:81; Surah 26:165-166), just like the Bible does not accept homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:26-27). Obama's approval of gay marriage is indicative that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is not Who he takes a stand for.

What I think this symbolizes to the world is that the Christian church doesn't care about bringing foreign symbols, symbols which stand for opposing ideologies/beliefs that rebel against God, into their sacred space.

edit: just a thought, maybe Jesus didn't approve of what that place teaches and doesn't want His Name associated with them (seeing as "IHS" means "Jesus")?

Quote:
IHS is an example of a Christogram, an abbreviation of the name of Christ. It is a Latinized version of the Greek letters ΙΗΣ (iota-eta-sigma), the first three letters of the name “Jesus” in Greek. So, the IHS symbol means “Jesus.”

http://www.gotquestions.org/IHS.html

edit #2: apparently, Obama wasn't inside a church but Gaston hall:

Quote:
Gaston Hall is an over 700-seat hall where national and international dignitaries have spoken since the turn of the last century. Convocations, honorary degree ceremonies, lectures and musical and dramatic performances are also held in this historic venue.

http://maps.georgetown.edu/gastonhall/

edit #3: Bingo. They are in idolatry. Look what I found: [link]

Just realized it said Catholic University. emotion_sweatdrop  

cristobela
Vice Captain

cristobela
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:52 am
Garland-Green

For the record, I'm drawing attention to Obama's disagreement with both the quran and the Bible in reply to what this says about Obama's beliefs: he cannot sincerely be called one or the other, neither Muslim nor Christian, because he disagrees with what they both call sin. But on top of that, Obama is scattering from Christ, not gathering with Christ. He is not submitting anyone to the truth of who Jesus is (Jesus is not merely a prophet, but the innocent one whom God gave as our sin offering, and who wasn't just a man, but Immanuel, God with us). So, Obama's visit to a university that associates with Christ on some level, and Obama's visit to a mosque, is merely a political move, part of the coexist agenda, which clearly—in practice—the university is open to as well.

I also wanted to add: when it comes to the quran, agreeing with it or disagreeing with it, is a catch-22 because of how subtle the deviations are. When we disagree with the subtle, deviating details, secular people allege it's illogical and hypocritical for us to disagree because of the overwhelming amount of identical statements that can be found in both elsewhere (and sometimes Christians themselves falsely attack something both the quran and the Bible actually agree on, which makes us look ignorant). But then, if we agree with the obviously identical statements, people in (and outside of) the church (who are ignorant of what the texts specifically say) think we're also agreeing with the details that deviate from Scripture. There is no winning. The quran is one of the most subtle lies to ever have been fabricated because it mixes so much truth in.

I think the quran is the ultimate test from God, who is testing us to see how well we know the Father and the Son, everything said about them in both the Old and New Testament.

• Deuteronomy 13:1-4 (NIV)

13 [a]If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,”3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.

Footnotes:

a. Deuteronomy 13:1 In Hebrew texts 13:1-18 is numbered 13:2-19.

• 2 Corinthians 11:4 (NIV)

4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

• Galatians 1:8 (NIV)

8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 am
cristobela
One difference: there were no flags in the mosque. Were Muslims adamant about not bringing flags into their sacred place (unlike Christians)? or was Obama identifying the USA with Christianity (and not Islam) by bringing flags into the church and not into the mosque? It could be interpreted so many ways. So many elements and intentions of the heart that we do not know.

I think Georgetown University denies Jesus more by making images of the Creator in the first place, which, judging by the pictures of the event, those paintings weren't covered—just like the Arabic words above Obama's head weren't covered. Maybe the letters "IHS" would mislead people to think it was a government institution? and maybe if it were written in a foreign alphabet Obama wouldn't have cared? But, again, the paintings in the church weren't covered. So...he's not about covering up the fact that he is in a religious setting (and whose) in either case.

The statement at the bottom of the article is so foolish. Obama is clearly not a Muslim. The quran does not accept homosexuality (Surah 7:81; Surah 26:165-166), just like the Bible does not accept homosexuality (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:26-27). Obama's approval of gay marriage is indicative that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is not Who he takes a stand for.

What I think this symbolizes to the world is that the Christian church doesn't care about bringing foreign symbols, symbols which stand for opposing ideologies/beliefs that rebel against God, into their sacred space.

edit: just a thought, maybe Jesus didn't approve of what that place teaches and doesn't want His Name associated with them (seeing as "IHS" means "Jesus")?

Quote:
IHS is an example of a Christogram, an abbreviation of the name of Christ. It is a Latinized version of the Greek letters ΙΗΣ (iota-eta-sigma), the first three letters of the name “Jesus” in Greek. So, the IHS symbol means “Jesus.”

http://www.gotquestions.org/IHS.html

edit #2: apparently, Obama wasn't inside a church but Gaston hall:

Quote:
Gaston Hall is an over 700-seat hall where national and international dignitaries have spoken since the turn of the last century. Convocations, honorary degree ceremonies, lectures and musical and dramatic performances are also held in this historic venue.

http://maps.georgetown.edu/gastonhall/

edit #3: Bingo. They are in idolatry. Look what I found: [link]

Just realized it said Catholic University. emotion_sweatdrop

Always interesting to read what you write. Thank you. I think I agree with you that there could be several reasons for this. Personally I liked the suggestion you made that;

maybe Jesus didn't approve of what that place teaches and doesn't want His Name associated with them (seeing as "IHS" means "Jesus")?

Perhaps it isn't for us to judge the intentions behind it as we can't see them. I agree that it is unlikely that Obama is a muslim with his disregard for what the Koran says on certain topics. Muslims I feel hold the Koran in high regard. I conversed with a Muslim not to long ago, and he said he even washes his hands before touching the book.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:36 am
cristobela
Garland-Green

For the record, I'm drawing attention to Obama's disagreement with both the quran and the Bible in reply to what this says about Obama's beliefs: he cannot sincerely be called one or the other, neither Muslim nor Christian, because he disagrees with what they both call sin. But on top of that, Obama is scattering from Christ, not gathering with Christ. He is not submitting anyone to the truth of who Jesus is (Jesus is not merely a prophet, but the innocent one whom God gave as our sin offering, and who wasn't just a man, but Immanuel, God with us). So, Obama's visit to a university that associates with Christ on some level, and Obama's visit to a mosque, is merely a political move, part of the coexist agenda, which clearly—in practice—the university is open to as well.

I also wanted to add: when it comes to the quran, agreeing with it or disagreeing with it, is a catch-22 because of how subtle the deviations are. When we disagree with the subtle, deviating details, secular people allege it's illogical and hypocritical for us to disagree because of the overwhelming amount of identical statements that can be found in both elsewhere (and sometimes Christians themselves falsely attack something both the quran and the Bible actually agree on, which makes us look ignorant). But then, if we agree with the obviously identical statements, people in (and outside of) the church (who are ignorant of what the texts specifically say) think we're also agreeing with the details that deviate from Scripture. There is no winning. The quran is one of the most subtle lies to ever have been fabricated because it mixes so much truth in.

I think the quran is the ultimate test from God, who is testing us to see how well we know the Father and the Son, everything said about them in both the Old and New Testament.

• Deuteronomy 13:1-4 (NIV)

13 [a]If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,”3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.

Footnotes:

a. Deuteronomy 13:1 In Hebrew texts 13:1-18 is numbered 13:2-19.

• 2 Corinthians 11:4 (NIV)

4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

• Galatians 1:8 (NIV)

8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

It could also be that the Quran is a deception of the Devil. He enjoys mixing truth with lies, to make the lies more acceptable and also to pervert truth. A truth mixed with lies isn't really true anymore is it? I don't think God is behind it, because He is not the author of confusion.

1 Corinthians 14:33
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Numbers 23:19
God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?  
News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games