Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Christian Leaders Speak Out in Wake of Dallas Shooting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:00 pm
Many prominent American leaders responded to the deadly attacks that took the lives of five police officers in Dallas, Texas yesterday evening (July 8.).

As ChristianHeadlines.com previously reported, the attack occurred at an event organized to protest police brutality. Earlier this week, two African-American men were shot and killed by police in two separate incidents. Both shootings were captured on video and spurred public outrage at what appeared to be unnecessary police violence.

Thirty-seven-year-old Alton Sterling was shot dead by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana after a homeless man called 911, alleging that Sterling had threatened him with a gun. The graphic video shows police wrestling Sterling to the ground and shooting him multiple times in the chest.

Philando Castile was shot and killed by a police officer after he was pulled over for having a taillight out. Castile’s girlfriend, who was in the passenger seat, live-streamed the brutal event. The daughter of Castile’s girlfriend was also in the car.

After America woke up to yet another tragedy today with the shooting of 12 police officers, five of whom died, many are saying enough is enough.

Continue reading.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:10 pm
How fitting / prophetic that they identify this as "terror". When I heard the news that day, I had read Psalms 9 that morning:

• Psalm 9:19-20 (NIV)

19 Arise, Lord, do not let mortals triumph;
        let the nations be judged in your presence.
    20 Strike them with terror, Lord;
        let the nations know they are only mortal.

Psalms 9 is a psalm about punishing evil-doing and evil-doers plural, the wicked and their cities, the nations (goyim, גוים, a.k.a. gentiles, those uncircumcised in heart, thus hearts disobedient to God's Commands). Whether this was an act of judgment from God on the victims, or an act of injustice on the cop's behalf, thus an unjust attack on the blameless that God will recompense later if they don't repent, only God knows.

On a relate noted: later on that same day, I also replied to a video on YouTube which mentioned these attacks, plus some other ones happening across the world, and I commented explaining how God works. Maybe it'll help somebody. I'm just desperate for more people to understand how He operates so they don't fall on the wrong side of God's favor (a couple of these verses I mentioned in the guild at other times; a couple I didn't).

Quote:
We don't know the hidden sins in the hearts of the people involved, both of the people killed and the people who killed them. But God is a god of vengeance. Whatever injustice was committed gets paid back on the head of the one who committed it. If you were unfair to someone else, someone else will be unfair to you. If we maliciously hated on someone else, someone else maliciously hates on us (even if we did it verbally and someone else did to us physically, it's the same sentiment at heart that they have against us that we had against another). We reap what we sow (and the harvest may not always be immediate), so treat people in ways you want to be treated back. From our limited perspective, we cannot know whether these people (who died) suffered in response to how they treated others in the past, or are blameless victims. Only God knows. But at the end of the day, there will be justice:

• Jeremiah 17:10 (NIV)

10 “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”

• Hosea 4:9 (NIV)

9 And it will be: Like people, like priests. I will punish both of them for their ways and repay them for their deeds.

• Luke 13:1-5 (NIV)

13 Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

• Revelation 2:23 (NIV)

23 I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.

Believer and unbeliever alike, unless we turn away from sin, one cannot escape divine justice—though that divine justice may delay. And that's in the case of punishment for one's actions. Because for others, their early death may be an act of mercy to prevent them from living through something worse (e.g. King Josiah, who died violently; he was taken early to prevent living through the nation-wide, violent catastrophe YHWH would send against the southern kingdom of Judah). To mankind, a violent act could be a tragedy, but from God's perspective, He is sending mercy to someone. We don't know how He is protecting others and punishing sin at the same time. But as long as you walk in His Commands, interact with creation the way He said, guard justice and love mercy, you will be on the favorable side of the act—alive or dead.

Take care and peace be with you, in Jesus' name. ✠

Just throwing those seeds out there. May God be in charge of making those seeds land in fertile soil, because I do not know the conditions of these people's hearts, whether they'll allow the cares of this world to choke it out, be offended at persecution when it comes, or not take root at all because Satan comes and snatches the seed that was planted—or whether they're fertile soil.

That said, as it relates to this article, there needs to be repentance, turning away from wicked ways, not just prayer, if there will be healing, let alone if He will hear their prayers in the first place.

• 2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

• 1 John 3:22 (NIV)

22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him.

cristobela
Vice Captain

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces