Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
How Should We Talk to Atheists? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:10 pm
Mercurite
Reading only a glimpse of your story has made me choke up. I will never be able to fathom the struggles you went through. It seems like you did not have someone truly "in your corner" growing up. You are absolutely right, you went through things that no one should ever have to go through -- especially not as a child who was completely alone.

You are a survivor.

You went through horrible circumstances, and like you said, you persevered through them. Unfortunately, those tribulations leave scars that can haunt us for a long time after.

How long ago did all of this happen? And are you living in a safer place now?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:29 pm
neuroseas
Mercurite
Reading only a glimpse of your story has made me choke up. I will never be able to fathom the struggles you went through. It seems like you did not have someone truly "in your corner" growing up. You are absolutely right, you went through things that no one should ever have to go through -- especially not as a child who was completely alone.

You are a survivor.

You went through horrible circumstances, and like you said, you persevered through them. Unfortunately, those tribulations leave scars that can haunt us for a long time after.

It finished about 5 years ago.
I still see my ex-stepfather every week when he comes to see my little sister. If he wanted to harm me, he has full access to do so- especially when I am alone at home babysitting my little sister.
We recently won the court case that my mother has full custody, but he gets her for a day every weekend.
I feel as if he could come in with a gun and kill us to take back Emma.  

Vale Dragon

Firebreathing Wyvern

14,150 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Astral Veteran 100

ButterFlyCross89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:17 pm
Mercurite
neuroseas
Mercurite

You are a survivor.

I still see my ex-stepfather every week when he comes to see my little sister. If he wanted to harm me, he has full access to do so- especially when I am alone at home babysitting my little sister.
We recently won the court case that my mother has full custody, but he gets her for a day every weekend.

Hello Mercurte, I am sorry you went through such a horrific ordeal and still have to deal with him. I too suffered abuse from my father for 19 years, I was abused in ever way a female can be abused by a man. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to pm me. If you don't want to bring up faith that is fine, while its a big part of my story I wont force it upon you. I wanted you to know that you are not alone and if you need to talk, I am here. I know you don't know me, but I still wanted to offer.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:41 am
There are many ways to approach those that don't believe, for one reason or another. One of the worst things we can do is to try and force them to believe or to try to guilt them into it. Let me explain it like this.

Picture yourself at a lake that is crystal clear and the water is refreshing. You are trying to convince someone to take a drink, by telling them all the wonderful things about drinking from this lake. You could could go the civil route and bring up facts and your own experiences. Or you could go the more aggressive way and hold there head under the water yelling "believe", which would make anyone run away from you or become violent.

For me I let my testimony as well as the gospel speak for itself. When you speak on what God has done for you and through you, I feel it can make things more thought provoking. Also regardless of what we go through, god can use it to give us a hope and a future. I know that is a very hard pill to swallow but I am living proof that god can and will turn your pain into purpose. If asked I would go into more details/scripture about this (don't want to go off topic too much).  

ButterFlyCross89

olisea

Muse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:49 am
Mercurite
neuroseas
Mercurite

You are a survivor.

Are others, maybe friends, aware of your step father -- in case they suddenly don't hear from you? Alternatively, maybe go out with friends for the day when you know he will be coming over to pick up your sister?

This is a very tough situation for you. I am so sorry you have gone through this, and this toxic person is still in your life. I've always had an opportunity to cut out those who have been abusive or toxic to me at some point... I can't imagine being exposed to them repeatedly, especially after damage they've caused.

I know ButterFlyCross89 offered, but you have a safe place here in the Guild if you ever want to talk. My inbox is always open, too. I might not be able to say much, but I can definitely listen.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 am
neuroseas
Mercurite
neuroseas
Mercurite

You are a survivor.

Are others, maybe friends, aware of your step father -- in case they suddenly don't hear from you? Alternatively, maybe go out with friends for the day when you know he will be coming over to pick up your sister?

This is a very tough situation for you. I am so sorry you have gone through this, and this toxic person is still in your life. I've always had an opportunity to cut out those who have been abusive or toxic to me at some point... I can't imagine being exposed to them repeatedly, especially after damage they've caused.

I know ButterFlyCross89 offered, but you have a safe place here in the Guild if you ever want to talk. My inbox is always open, too. I might not be able to say much, but I can definitely listen.

Thank you very much. I also don't have many friends as this town isn't the nicest place and I do not agree with their choices, whether it be drugs or sex or simple backstabbing; many people in this place are two-faced and will not be a true friend. I learned that the hard way.
If I am feeling depressed, then perhaps I will take you up on your offer.
Regardless, I never feel safe here and it's close to the time where I move out.  

Vale Dragon

Firebreathing Wyvern

14,150 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Astral Veteran 100

Vale Dragon

Firebreathing Wyvern

14,150 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:03 am
ButterFlyCross89
Mercurite
neuroseas
Mercurite

You are a survivor.

Hello Mercurte, I am sorry you went through such a horrific ordeal and still have to deal with him. I too suffered abuse from my father for 19 years, I was abused in ever way a female can be abused by a man. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to pm me. If you don't want to bring up faith that is fine, while its a big part of my story I wont force it upon you. I wanted you to know that you are not alone and if you need to talk, I am here. I know you don't know me, but I still wanted to offer.

I don't know you, yes, but I appreciate your attempt to reach out. I do not mind faith, as it has a small part in my own story, but that is mostly of me losing it. I would like to talk.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
by Dr. Terry Mortenson

Have you ever been in a gospel-oriented conversation with an atheist, perhaps on Facebook or face to face? How about one who uses caustic, even vulgar language? How should you respond as a faithful witness for Christ? We’re tempted to join in a fight rather than seeing them as a soul that needs to be rescued.

Jesus promised, “If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you” (John 15:20). He further said, “Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for so did their fathers to the false prophets” (Luke 6:26). Paul, too, instructs godly Christians to expect persecution (2 Timothy 3:12). So we should not be surprised by hostile opposition to biblical truth and the gospel.

How we think about others will affect how we talk to them. No matter how aggressive they may be, atheists are descendants of Adam, made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27, 9:6). They are sinners, just as we were before we trusted in Christ as our Savior; and Jesus loves sinners and died for them (Romans 5:6– cool . Atheists, like all other non-Christians, are deceived by the devil, who has blinded their minds (Revelation 12:9; 2 Corinthians 4:4). Despite their protests to the contrary, atheists actually know of God, both from the witness of creation and from their conscience, but are suppressing that truth because of sin (Romans 1:18–20 and 2:14–16).

How then should we talk to an atheist? Conscious of the truths above, we should be respectful (1 Peter 3:15). Regardless of his or her hostility, we should respond with gentle words (Proverbs 15:1–2), seeking a peaceful discussion and not returning evil for evil (Romans 12:14, 12:17–21). Our job is not to kill but throw a life preserver.

Now Elijah mocked the Israelite prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18:17–40), and Jesus called the Jewish Pharisees “whitewashed tombs” and a “brood of vipers” (Matthew 23:1–33). But they were confronting apostate religious leaders who had repeatedly refused to respond to the truth. Further, Jesus knew the Pharisees’ hearts, and Elijah was executing judgment on the false prophets, not offering them hope.

Paul instructed Timothy not to be quarrelsome but to be patient, gentle, and humble (2 Timothy 2:23–26). Nonetheless, he also told him to “rebuke” when necessary “with all longsuffering and teaching” (2 Timothy 4:1–5). So, even when we have to boldly point out a scoffer’s repeated refusal to hear God’s Word, we should do this with humble, patient teaching, not caustic personal attacks.

Finally, how should we talk about an atheist? We must watch over our hearts, for out of it our mouths speak (Matthew 12:34–37). Be brutally honest with yourself, and if your words are prideful or hateful, leave them unsaid. Remember that except for God’s grace in your life, you could very well be an atheist yourself.

May God help us be humble, loving, bold, winsome, and confident defenders of the Christian faith as we seek to lead atheists (or anyone else) to the Savior.

Hi, bible guild's resident non-christian here.
Woo, caustic. One of my favorite types of weapons in a shooter game where the only point is humor in violence.

Am I corrupt or something? Blinded by Satan?
Are demons metaphorical or real?

& As a fan of Dante's Inferno {great game, really, all biblical and stuff with violence and blood and punishment of sinners} is that what you believe hell to be?
Babies literally fall from a sinner's nipples, which is weird.
Regardless, I'm off track now-
Do I need to be saved if I accept God's existence, but refuse to worship him because I don't like his personality?

I personally don't find that the author of this article was caustic in his writing.
Christians do affirm Satan's existence as well as the existence of demons. They are not powerless in this world and can influence people whether they realize it or not. Non-believers and believers alike are affected by them, no one is immune to the attacks of the devil since the beginning of the world.
I don't know what the game 'Dante's Inferno' entails.
As part of creation, I don't think that we have the right to questions God's actions or 'personality'. As Isaiah wrote:
Quote:
Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
and again,
Quote:
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

It's a choice, one that only you can make. Do you want to be saved?

Dante's inferno is based off the poem, Dante's inferno, in which Dante travels the seven circles of hell to save his lover because he broke a vow and Satan dragged her to hell after he made a bet with the lover that Dante would stay true. Depending on Dante's choices, he can have salvation at the end, or he can get closer to Satan and become demonic. It's whether you choose to punish or save the lost souls that don't deserve hell.
Plenty people hated it because the fact there were unbaptized malformed babies as enemies, but that's the cruel part of Christianity.

& mostly, I just can't accept that there's an invisible thing everywhere watching over us. It creeps me out.

I know of the story behind it, not the game. But Dante's inferno is not a universal Christian conception of divine punishment. None of the poem makes any biblical sense to me except for Satan being real. It has some Catholic aspects like purgatory which I do not believe in. Nor do I believe in infant baptism or babies being thrown into hell.....
I'd ask you to consider God as a logical basis for existence rather than how you feel. It sounds harsh, but in the end how we feel doesn't matter, all that matters is truth.

One of my bigger points is..
What if Christianity isn't a truth?
I don't mean to pick a fight, but, generally, anyone could be wrong. For all I know, I can be wrong about God.
Or perhaps, maybe he doesn't exist, or we think he's something or not. Another one of my problems is that, logically, his existence is not possible.
It just doesn't add up.
Winged creatures, twisted ones with horns and a big ball of mist that we call God?
It sounds like something from one of the fantasy stories I write.

All Christianity has is faith, and even if this may be brutal, it is the truth. It is basically what Christianity is.

My mother dated a man for a year and then married him; he treated us well and everyone loved him, but after, he changed and became extremely physically abusive to the point of me ending up in the hospital for a month. I get that having faith in another human being is different than having faith in a thing that sounds like a magical creature, but {I don't know what I can express God as other than a he, so I'm afraid thing will have to do} from what a Christian told me, it's not so different as loving your own father.

we had faith in a man and he completely ruined our family; he was a man that I called father, and if God were also to be my father, then wouldn't it also be possible for him to let me down as well?

The foundation of Christianity is Jesus Christ's resurrection, it is an offshoot of Judaism basically. I believe in the historicity of His resurrection as well as his miracles. I don't believe a bunch of crazy men cobbled together and conspired to write a biography of lies on Him and then risked their lives doing so.

We can be wrong about a great deal of things because no one knows everything. However, I don't know where you got the idea of the twisted creature with horns or big ball of mist lol Whoever you heard that from is very artistic. Spirits don't have any kind of material form, they exist outside the space-time continuum.

I am a Christian for empirical and historical reasons, not blind faith. For instance, I'm a student of biology, I see a lot of intelligence in the engineering of living creatures. I prefer to make the inference that certain features cannot logically come to be without an intelligent agent. That's just my perspective.

I know people consider God a 'father' but we shouldn't equate that with earthly fathers. People are fallible and they will inevitably let you down at some point. I love my family but they disappoint me sometimes.  

Lady Vizsla

Vale Dragon

Firebreathing Wyvern

14,150 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:49 pm
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
by Dr. Terry Mortenson

Have you ever been in a gospel-oriented conversation with an atheist, perhaps on Facebook or face to face? How about one who uses caustic, even vulgar language? How should you respond as a faithful witness for Christ? We’re tempted to join in a fight rather than seeing them as a soul that needs to be rescued.

Jesus promised, “If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you” (John 15:20). He further said, “Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for so did their fathers to the false prophets” (Luke 6:26). Paul, too, instructs godly Christians to expect persecution (2 Timothy 3:12). So we should not be surprised by hostile opposition to biblical truth and the gospel.

How we think about others will affect how we talk to them. No matter how aggressive they may be, atheists are descendants of Adam, made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27, 9:6). They are sinners, just as we were before we trusted in Christ as our Savior; and Jesus loves sinners and died for them (Romans 5:6– cool . Atheists, like all other non-Christians, are deceived by the devil, who has blinded their minds (Revelation 12:9; 2 Corinthians 4:4). Despite their protests to the contrary, atheists actually know of God, both from the witness of creation and from their conscience, but are suppressing that truth because of sin (Romans 1:18–20 and 2:14–16).

How then should we talk to an atheist? Conscious of the truths above, we should be respectful (1 Peter 3:15). Regardless of his or her hostility, we should respond with gentle words (Proverbs 15:1–2), seeking a peaceful discussion and not returning evil for evil (Romans 12:14, 12:17–21). Our job is not to kill but throw a life preserver.

Now Elijah mocked the Israelite prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18:17–40), and Jesus called the Jewish Pharisees “whitewashed tombs” and a “brood of vipers” (Matthew 23:1–33). But they were confronting apostate religious leaders who had repeatedly refused to respond to the truth. Further, Jesus knew the Pharisees’ hearts, and Elijah was executing judgment on the false prophets, not offering them hope.

Paul instructed Timothy not to be quarrelsome but to be patient, gentle, and humble (2 Timothy 2:23–26). Nonetheless, he also told him to “rebuke” when necessary “with all longsuffering and teaching” (2 Timothy 4:1–5). So, even when we have to boldly point out a scoffer’s repeated refusal to hear God’s Word, we should do this with humble, patient teaching, not caustic personal attacks.

Finally, how should we talk about an atheist? We must watch over our hearts, for out of it our mouths speak (Matthew 12:34–37). Be brutally honest with yourself, and if your words are prideful or hateful, leave them unsaid. Remember that except for God’s grace in your life, you could very well be an atheist yourself.

May God help us be humble, loving, bold, winsome, and confident defenders of the Christian faith as we seek to lead atheists (or anyone else) to the Savior.

Woo, caustic. One of my favorite types of weapons in a shooter game where the only point is humor in violence.

& As a fan of Dante's Inferno {great game, really, all biblical and stuff with violence and blood and punishment of sinners} is that what you believe hell to be?
Do I need to be saved if I accept God's existence, but refuse to worship him because I don't like his personality?

I personally don't find that the author of this article was caustic in his writing.
Christians do affirm Satan's existence as well as the existence of demons. They are not powerless in this world and can influence people whether they realize it or not. Non-believers and believers alike are affected by them, no one is immune to the attacks of the devil since the beginning of the world.
As part of creation, I don't think that we have the right to questions God's actions or 'personality'. As Isaiah wrote:
Quote:
Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
and again,
Quote:
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Dante's inferno is based off the poem, Dante's inferno, in which Dante travels the seven circles of hell to save his lover because he broke a vow and Satan dragged her to hell after he made a bet with the lover that Dante would stay true. Depending on Dante's choices, he can have salvation at the end, or he can get closer to Satan and become demonic. It's whether you choose to punish or save the lost souls that don't deserve hell.
Plenty people hated it because the fact there were unbaptized malformed babies as enemies, but that's the cruel part of Christianity.

& mostly, I just can't accept that there's an invisible thing everywhere watching over us. It creeps me out.

I know of the story behind it, not the game. But Dante's inferno is not a universal Christian conception of divine punishment. None of the poem makes any biblical sense to me except for Satan being real. It has some Catholic aspects like purgatory which I do not believe in. Nor do I believe in infant baptism or babies being thrown into hell.....
I'd ask you to consider God as a logical basis for existence rather than how you feel. It sounds harsh, but in the end how we feel doesn't matter, all that matters is truth.

I don't mean to pick a fight, but, generally, anyone could be wrong. For all I know, I can be wrong about God.
Or perhaps, maybe he doesn't exist, or we think he's something or not. Another one of my problems is that, logically, his existence is not possible.
It just doesn't add up.
Winged creatures, twisted ones with horns and a big ball of mist that we call God?

All Christianity has is faith, and even if this may be brutal, it is the truth. It is basically what Christianity is.

My mother dated a man for a year and then married him; he treated us well and everyone loved him, but after, he changed and became extremely physically abusive to the point of me ending up in the hospital for a month. I get that having faith in another human being is different than having faith in a thing that sounds like a magical creature, but {I don't know what I can express God as other than a he, so I'm afraid thing will have to do} from what a Christian told me, it's not so different as loving your own father.

we had faith in a man and he completely ruined our family; he was a man that I called father, and if God were also to be my father, then wouldn't it also be possible for him to let me down as well?

The foundation of Christianity is Jesus Christ's resurrection, it is an offshoot of Judaism basically. I believe in the historicity of His resurrection as well as his miracles. I don't believe a bunch of crazy men cobbled together and conspired to write a biography of lies on Him and then risked their lives doing so.

We can be wrong about a great deal of things because no one knows everything. However, I don't know where you got the idea of the twisted creature with horns or big ball of mist lol Whoever you heard that from is very artistic. Spirits don't have any kind of material form, they exist outside the space-time continuum.

I am a Christian for empirical and historical reasons, not blind faith. For instance, I'm a student of biology, I see a lot of intelligence in the engineering of living creatures. I prefer to make the inference that certain features cannot logically come to be without an intelligent agent. That's just my perspective.

I know people consider God a 'father' but we shouldn't equate that with earthly fathers. People are fallible and they will inevitably let you down at some point. I love my family but they disappoint me sometimes.
The creatures with horns are demons, the ones with wings are angels and the big ball of mist represents god because I doubt nobody living knows what he looks like.
Space and time continuum reminds me of Dialga and Palkia  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:47 am
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
by Dr. Terry Mortenson

Quote:
and again,
Quote:

It just doesn't add up.

The creatures with horns are demons, the ones with wings are angels and the big ball of mist represents god because I doubt nobody living knows what he looks like.

I know what they represent, I just think they can probably take any form they like.
I had to look up Dialga and Palkia. I don't remember much besides first generation Pokemon but didn't realize they had 'deistic' sorts.
Regardless of your views on God, I hope you will stick around the Bible guild.  

Lady Vizsla

Vale Dragon

Firebreathing Wyvern

14,150 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:01 am
Lady Kariel
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Quote:
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
Mercurite
Lady Kariel
by Dr. Terry Mortenson

Quote:
and again,
Quote:

It just doesn't add up.

I know what they represent, I just think they can probably take any form they like.
I had to look up Dialga and Palkia. I don't remember much besides first generation Pokemon but didn't realize they had 'deistic' sorts.
Regardless of your views on God, I hope you will stick around the Bible guild.
I haven't run screaming; I don't think I will yet. xD  
The Bible

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces