Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
Self-Denial Is Not Self-Hatred

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 am
BY MATT MOORE , CP GUEST COLUMNIST
Feb 18, 2017 | 11:12 AM

Jesus doesn't hand out "Get Out Of Hell Free" passes — he hands out crosses.

With his typical candidness, he said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and pick up his cross daily and follow me" (Matthew 16:24), and, in another turn of phrase, "Whoever does not hate his life is not worthy to be my disciple" (Luke 14:26).

He warned it would not be those who merely profess his lordship over their lives that inherit the Kingdom of heaven, but those who demonstrate their love for God by doing the will of God (Matthew 7:21).

And what is the will of God? In his letter to the Thessalonians, Paul wrote:

"Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness." – 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7

The apostle specifies the sin of sexual immorality at the start of this passage, but he broadens his scope in verse 7: "God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness." We know from the totality of Scripture's teaching that God's will is for us to abstain from all forms of sin. He calls us to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. Such love entails keeping ourselves from what grieves and dishonors Him.

Read more at: link  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am
Self-denial is the best form of self-love really. Training yourself to walk in the spirit rather than the flesh improves discipline, self-control, patience, wisdom and a suite of other virtues that the world generally lacks. It also gives you power over your actions so that Satan and the world has less of a hold on how you live.  

Lady Vizsla

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 am
Lady Kariel
Self-denial is the best form of self-love really. Training yourself to walk in the spirit rather than the flesh improves discipline, self-control, patience, wisdom and a suite of other virtues that the world generally lacks. It also gives you power over your actions so that Satan and the world has less of a hold on how you live.

I agree with you Kariel. 3nodding Not only is it self-love, it is the way we manage to finish the race we are in without being disqualified.

Even the Apostles disciplined themselves;

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.  
The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games