[PRP] Ruunan Towards Your Destiny [U'zan/Ruunan]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:49 pm
Two clutches to come to High Reaches' sands. Two. Such things were nigh unheard of, but it pleased the bronzerider to know that if it happened anywhere, it was happening in his Weyr, in Eveleth's Weyr. Of course, Balizarth hadn't managed to catch either of the rising golds...but that was of little import. The star-flecked bronze was often too duty-bound to make time for any gold but his sister, and hadn't been miffed to be left unchosen. U'zan, of course, had rather enjoyed that week. He'd had such sport, and even now the memories... Well. Thoughts for another day.

Today he'd made time for his son. Born of a similar gold flight's tryst some years ago, the young lad had yet to impress...but there was time still. U'zan knew that if anyone did. But he felt good about this time. Two clutches! He could imagine the eggs now, numerous and strong—there would surely be one for his issue to claim. A fine strapping bronze, or perhaps a bold, sturdy brown. A swift, devoted blue wouldn't be horrid either...but no, a brown at the least. Surely at least a brown.

Balizarth, would you mind summoning Ruunan to the weyr?

At once...Candidate Ruunan, your father desires your presence. Attend him at your soonest convenience.
The bronze's stoic mental voice nudged gently but firmly into the boy's mind, pressing forth the image of U'zan's weyr's door, though certainly the boy knew the way by now. U'zan had left the door cracked, and stood now on the ledge overlooking the bowl. Down below he could see golden Fianth sunning beside her chosen mate (and he still boggled to see a blue under her wing!) and beyond, the dark mouth of the hatching sands. How long, he wondered, until that place was filled? Until his son would take his place among the riders?

Sweet Symmetry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:25 am
Nyaranau nudged him with a sharp and pointy elbow, and Ruunan looked up from his soup. “Eat,” she said, as if the world was coming to famine and this was his last meal, “you look like you’re about to drop.”

“I’m fine… not tired at all…” The young man had a piece of wood between his hands, shoulders hunched as he whittled it away with no concern for the rows of candidates sat at the table. Shavings of wood tumbled to the ground, and still the methodical, enthralling work of bringing the statue to life consumed him.

“Suit yourself.” She answered, and helped herself to his piece of bread. Ruunan wouldn’t have noticed if she hadn’t nudged him in the process, lopping off one of the dragon’s headknobs. He hissed between his teeth, then turned caramel eyes on his sister. Half-sister, and this was the half he hated. “Oops, sorry about that.” She flashed him her usual cheeky grin and returned to another conversation with one of her fellows, and Ruunan’s anger evaporated as quickly as it came.

Silently he slid out from the bench and pocketed the statute. It wasn’t ruined. It was just… different. It wasn’t perfect, but it was beautiful in its imperfections… His thoughts trailed to the clutches on the sands- now warming, bringing tense anticipation with every morning and every night. Ruun knew he would have to face his fate someday. He was not prepared…

Nor was he ready for Balizarth’s mental summons, the deep voice settling against his mind, both powerful and compelling in its tenor. His father wished to see him? Fear squibbled into his tummy and turned his blood a little cold.

“I’m coming…” He wondered, idly, if he could perhaps send the thought to Balizarth and not have to speak aloud. Well, perhaps he ought to ask the Bronze the next time his father summoned him for leisure, or something. The thought brought a smile to his face- ah, his father and ‘leisure’ time… now there was a foreign concept if there ever was one.

His feet seemed to know the path there, for his thoughts delved into all of the things his father might have called him for: was it to counsel him on how to Impress a Bronze, perhaps? Nyaranau was much better suited to that kind of thing- of course, she wanted nothing to do with the man who seemed wave the banner of tradition and call it ‘right’. And she had her own father, too- that was a whole kettle of fish… Ruunan reached for the small, unfinished statute of the dragon in his pocket and rubbed it for good luck. Here he was. Time to face the music.

“Ah… sir… father, I’m here.” And I didn’t bring you food. Shells. I should have brought him food.

ShinosBee

Sweet Symmetry

Tipsy Kitten

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm
He'd known the boy was coming—he'd ever been a dutiful thing, Ruunan had. As the door creaked open with a muted peep, Balizarth twisted on his perch, long neck swinging the wedge-head towards the boy, faceted eyes whirling jewel-tone green-orange in turn. The bronze approved of his rider's son...in that he was his rider's son. Barring that, the boy was too meek, too timid for the dragon's taste. But he was young yet, with time to prove himself worthy of his father. Of a dragon. U'zan too cast back a look to assess the boy, brows furrowing at whatever stray thought'd upset the child. That it could be nervousness about being called to his father's weyr didn't even cross his mind.

"There he is!" The man's voice boomed through the weyr, jovial, almost as if he truly was happy to see the boy just for the sake of family. He swung around, an arm thrust wide to welcome the boy, to usher him closer. "Hopefully Balizarth didn't startle you. I know how shocking it can be to hear one when you're not used to it. Or I remember it, at least." It'd been decades, but sure, he remembered. "I'm afraid, my boy, that we need to talk." That same jovial tone, the merest hint of serious, somber intent behind it to hint that this was, indeed, a business chat, and not simply a father and son interacting.

"There are eggs on way, I'm sure you know. Fianth and Rhianth are both fine golds, both of Eveleth's own stock." At mention of the Weyr's senior gold, Balizarth rumbled appreciatively. His sister was the pinnacle of dragons, a queen worth serving and worth desiring. Her lineage was strong, and had served and guarded High Reaches for turns. "Has the candidatemaster spoken to you about how to possibly handle so many eggs? You should try to touch them all, but I would advise sticking to the largest, of course." His arms crossed, eyes slipping from the boy to the sunning golds below.

What a choice that was. To approve of both? Either? None? They were of Eveleth's blood, certainly, but each had their own eccentricities. Rhianth was a roving gold, had been flown by a simple brown, but otherwise strong, intelligent, and worthy. Fianth was gentler, but more devoted. She'd been caught by a bronze, and ought to produce the better for it, but her desire for a blue of all things hinted at a potential failing in some way. Still, they both had produced well before...

"What do you think, boy? You'll manage it this time, wont' you...?"

Sweet Symmetry
So sorry for the delay!! Things are moving smoothly now, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:40 am
ShinosBee
No worries!

I realised I derped up big time after rereading my last post, and yours- there are no clutches on the sands yet. Lol… what an idiot...

It was… scarcely the greeting he had expected from the man. Ruunan said nothing for a moment, absorbing the sight of the large, tall, domineering U’zan and the large, tall, domineering Balizarth-head by his side. Yes. That was happening. He managed to force his features into a polite, wan smile, but there was little way of masking the quietness of his voice. “No, not at all…” He nodded along to his father’s words. Yes, it had come as a surprise, but it was also an honour in a very strange way. Clearly his father had something important to impart on him, otherwise why else would Balizarth summon him so urgently?

He stepped forwards as U’zan continued, nodding mutely once again. Funny thing, fathers… They had this habit of making an appearance when it was convenient for them. Why couldn’t Nyara have one instead? And he’d live out a simple life under Hevvik’s tutelage, learning how to craft furniture… Ah, focus, Ruun.

The eggs. Of course. The clutches that were soon to be. His smile acquired a grim hardness to it that betrayed some of his reservations. “Yes, they are fine Queens.” He agreed amiably, glancing over U’zan’s shoulder, but realising he was not able to see the weyrbowl from his vantage point. Ah, his father might have some curious notions and principles, but he certainly kept a tidy and wonderful living space. It was almost enviable.

“No, not yet. I believe the candidatemaster was waiting to see just how many…” He trailed off here. Oh Faranth, what if there were a hundred eggs? “Father, have you… has there ever been tell of over a hundred eggs on the sands at any one time? That seems almost… impossible to imagine.” His eyes grew round as he tried to contemplate feeding and housing so many young, hungry bellies. If there wouldn’t be riots then there would be a mass slaughter of the beast pens… Ruunan wasn’t sure which was worse.

Oh dear. Stick to the larger eggs. He bobbed his head in agreeance, his smile curving. “Certainly… I can try to see if a bigger egg would have me... But it is the dragon’s choice at the end of the day.” If it were up to him, it would be a sweet darling of a dragon- not too attention-seeking, or foolhardy… or no dragon at all, but then his father would never speak to him again. And sometimes it was nice to have a father who wanted to speak to you, even if it was about things that interested him more than his son.

“If we are allowed to touch them, ought I simply approach each egg with an open mind? Were you allowed to Balizarth’s egg before his Hatching?”  

Sweet Symmetry

Tipsy Kitten

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:54 pm
Gaze fixed downwards as it was, U'zan nearly missed half of what his small son was saying. He caught enough to get the gist of the matter—worries, questions, silly things—but not all. But that didn't matter, not really. He'd put the boy's mind at ease and that'd be that! A hand, lightly weathered from turns riding and fighting, slid from where they were crossed over U'zan's chest to splay on the blunt snout of Balizarth. Memory took them both briefly, back across turns and turns to the first time they'd met without a shell between them. There'd been no other choice, of course, so in that way, Ruunan had the right of it. "What the dragon wants, it will have." Ideally though a son of his own blood would have what appealed to the finer dragonets of the batch. Though then again, the boy's mother hadn't been of any particular note....well. No matter.

"None come to mind so large, but perhaps in passes long ago. I make little time to scour the records like some scribe—important as they are, that is a task for those bound to the earth, and not on dragonback—beyond what is currently pertinent. Rhianth and Fianth both have had their clutches recorded for turns and turns now, though rumor has it that thread's return may cause the numbers to shift upwards. Fifty would be agreeable. Sixty would be better." Of course, High Reaches was already teeming, nearly full of riders, but that always meant that those of lesser quality or lesser devotion could be sent away. Even the worst of their lot was leaps and bounds better than those in any other Weyr, the man was certain. Let their castoffs bolster Pern, and they would keep and train the newer blood properly to fit to the high standards of High Reaches.

"I remember touching his egg, yes. You'll touch them all, given time, but focus on a few. I could feel him stirring inside when I touched it, and that was how I knew. He could see me, and I him, and no matter how many others came to touch that egg, he was mine. The bronze huffed, sending U'zan's tunic fluttering. "Be confident about it, they none of them will want a weak, cowardly rider. Especially now, with thread returned." He did not mean the words to bite, but the tone was nearly, nearly accusatory. His son was still softer than he'd like; a gentle young man, some might even call ill-suited to riding. But he was U'zan's blood, and he still had faith that blood would come to the surface. Soon.

Sweet Symmetry

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff