Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] Old Habits (Calla & Sam'kel)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akina Tokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 pm
The harp that Calla had brought to the Weyr in order to back up her lie to her mother about studying harpercraft under an old friend of the family had gone on quite an adventure lately. The first day that the young Candidate decided to take it out and oil its wooden frame, a minty green dragon had spirited it away. Now that it was safely back in Calla's hands, she felt her affinity for it increase. It was not lost on her that this little harp was some kind of physical symbol of her relationship with her mother.

Maybe it was because she had now been at the Weyr for a few months, maybe it was the impending Hatching, maybe she was honestly missing her mother despite their damaged relationship, but whatever it was, it had Calla sneaking down to the Lower Caverns on her day off to find a deserted curve to strum out a few chords.

Stealing a few glances around, the young Candidate let her fingers move across the delicate strings. She made a few passes and then settled on quietly singing in old classic. The words to "The Golden Egg of Faranth" slipped out of her. Her voice was pleasant and low, with a husk to it that her mother said made it unique. When she reached the final line, she held the note for a moment and then stopped abruptly, laughing at herself.

prism shine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 pm
Having some time to himself was a bit of a coveted thing. With the newly graduated weyrlings adding to the wingstrength, it should have made sweeps and falls easier--yet his body would sorely refute how much more tired he felt. Normally he would have spent his free evening spending time with K’lar, but tonight the lows were having him the other rider a gentle parting and finding space for himself. Guitar in hand, he made his way to the lower caverns. Old habits would be perpetually hard to break, and the solace of a quiet place to play and unwind would perhaps ease the low mood in his heart.

Yet, it seemed that it wouldn’t be completely quiet, after all. The gentle strumming if another string instrument caught his ears -- a harp, by the sound of it. He followed the sound, the rise and fall of the notes. String instruments had always been the most soothing, yet he may be a tad biased..
But upon finding the source, Sam’kel couldn’t quite help staying a bit hidden to listen. Being a bit closer, he could actually hear the player singing. A candidate, from the looks of her shoulder knots. A wonderful player, no doubt harper-trained. Yet she looked fairly new to him--but with how busy he’s been, between his Wing and K’lar, he isn’t quite surprised. He’s not exactly a searchrider.

You should probably say something and not just lurk. Kinitarth’s lazy voice curled into his mind, warm and sleepy from his perch in the late evening sun.

Right, right. That would be.. wise.
Sam’kel gently cleared his throat, a smile on his scarred face as he stepped more into her line of sight. “That was wonderful.”

Akina Tokuwa

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

Akina Tokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:32 pm
Calla did not so much jump at the other sound of the voice, as she did go blank. Her laugh faded off, hand fiddling on the edge of the harp. As a new Candidate, she didn't drown in compliments on a daily basis, and so hearing one felt foreign. "Oh, yes," she said, relaxing her hold on the harp. "I was, well..." She laughed again. "Thank you. What I mean is thank you."

The girl had manners after all, but there was something unnerving about being caught unaware. Double that with the fact that she had a deep seated fear that her mother might any day learn the truth of what she was doing at the Weyr. Unlikely as it was, Calla imagined some trader absent-mindedly saying, "Oh did you hear that new Candidate playing a harp the other day? I hear she is from the Hold!" Somehow her mother would just know it was Calla, and BAM -- dream over. Back to the Hold, or maybe shipped off to Harper Hall. Even as the rational part of her brain reminded her how impossible that was, how it would never happen, how it was ridiculous, she couldn't let the fear go. Her brain spun tales taller than a bronze.

After a beat, she added, by way of introduction: "I'm Calla. Candidate." Her eyes scanned the stranger, past the scars, and lingering instead on the guitar. "You play?" she ventured lightly.

Prism Shine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:03 pm
There’s a moment where Sam’kel worries where he instantly said the wrong thing, seeing the joy in her face instantly melt away for neutrality. He could understand wanting to be alone, but did he touch on a sore spot by complimenting her? “You’re welcome. Giving praise where it’s due.”

You’re overthinking things. You were a new candidate to the Weyr once, after all. Kinitarth was warm and sleepy, yet he gave such a warmth of joy. Perhaps Teth was conversing with him? It seemed Kinitarth was happiest when the brown chattered.

I suppose so. He had been, until Kinitarth had found him that first hatching.

Her introduction pulled him back, blinking before smiling. “Sam’kel, of blue Kinitarth. Pleasure to meet you.” It’s a beat of honesty, even if he’s still fringe worried he’d upset her. “I do -- I was raised and trained in Harper Hall.” With less formality, he takes a seat on the edge of a chair -- in case Calla might not enjoy his company and might wish to be left alone. His fingers idly strum a few notes, chaining into a melody with such gentleness. “What about you? Hall trained?”

Akina Tokuwa

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

Akina Tokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:26 pm
The urge to bow fiddled deep in Calla, but instead, she maintained a pleasant smile, drawing the instrument to her side. It was like being caught naked. "Hall-trained?" A whistle of approval eked out of her. "No, no -- my mother is a harper. She trained here actually, but nothing so formal as the Hall."

For a moment, the Candidate allowed herself to imagine the life her mother had wanted for her, that of a Hall-trained harper, merging with the path she chose to chase dragons, like her father had. And here before her was someone who had done both. He was basically Pernese Beyonce as far as she was concerned.

"Why... you? That must be so tough, being a rider and all. How did you end up here?"

Which was her way of saying my mother would never approve of me following that path.

Prism Shine

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff