Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] The Cost of Kindness (Phryana, Martirae + Anakumath)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:46 pm
She'd been informed that today, she would not attend candidate lessons as per usual. Instead, as a reward for her diligence during chores, she was to assist a dragonrider with bathing. Phryana went straight to the lake, tying her hair up high upon her head as she went as though that might prevent it from getting as soaked as the rest of her undoubtedly would. Half an hour passed before the woman wondered if the rider had changed her mind. Her eyes lingered for a moment on a rider and her young dragon, recognizing them as the pair from Rhianth's clutch. Martirae, she recalled, of gold Anakumath.

Quietly, the woman approached with averted eyes and hands folded in front of her. "Excuse me, Junior Weyrwoman," Her voice was soft, avoiding the rasp that accompanied anything louder than a whisper. "Did you request assistance with bathing this morning?"

A quick glance through her lashes assessed the rider in question, and she didn't think the young woman was the type to do any such thing. Still, better to ask and confirm her time had been wasted before returning to lessons. If, in fact, she had been requested by the woman.... well, better to be safe than sorry.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm
The lake made it easy to scrub down Anakumath's hide - not too rough, not too gentle. She'd learned the gold wouldn't complain even if she was too heavy handed and Martirae had found that sweet compliance a practice in her own self control. In what had felt like the blink of an eye, the small gold had outgrown even some of the larger blues (and oh how she regretted it, as though she had a choice) and keeping her oiled and scrubbed had become a task that took three times as long. She did it with no complaint, tenderly checking over every patch of hide, every claw, every tooth, every spine.

Oh how she'd never understood how it felt to love. Was this how her father had felt about her mother? She'd have torn the world asunder for Anakumath in a heartbeat.

I would prefer if you did not, love. Anakumath said softly, reaching out to nudge her rider with her snout. Martirae almost dared kiss it where all could see. The approach of a woman - demure, but scarred in a way that twisted something angry inside of Marty - was what kept her from such affection. "We did not. She's not quite that big yet, and I am quite able-"

But Anakumath had already stretched her neck out to press her nose fondly against Phryana's cheek with a soft kreel. Have you been left waiting? she inquired with her gentle voice, blues bleeding across her yellow eyes.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 am
The words confirmed her inkling, and Phryana intended to dismiss herself with an apology as soon as the woman finished speaking. She never would have dared to think that the young queen would reach out. Her touch was shockingly soft and warm--she always forgot how silky and supple their hides were--and for all her trained composure and calm, her eyes widened with surprise. Balizarth never deigned to speak with her, and why should he? She was nothing, of no worth or consequence, and she'd never taken it personally. A darted glance was shot to Martirae, briefly wondering if she'd take offense if she were to answer. So be it, if so.

"Not intentionally, I am sure," She spoke, and the touch of breathlessness was unfeigned. The blues that seeped through those golden, faceted eyes threatened to be mesmerizing, but Phryana adverted her own to lower her head once more. She quickly shook off her shock, a master of herself once more. "Please excuse me. I will return to my lessons at once." The queenrider seemed inclined towards handling the task herself, and Phryana could hardly blame her.

She swept into a low curtsey, intending to do exactly as she said.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 am
There was something in Martirae that was pleased to see that her beloved's softness could break through a carefully crafted front. Idly, she leaned against her lifemate as she answered Phryana's glance with a light shrug. It was far from her to try and temper Anakumath's desire to tend to the rest and offer her love - why try to reel in goodness when the world needed more of the particular brand her lifemate had to give?

Ah, there is virtue in such patience but surely we can afford to make your trip be unwasted? Anakumath leaned the top of her head against her for a moment before looking back to Martirae who was doing her best to not look a little put out by the idea of taking on unneeded help. Looking back into those whirling, imploring eyes it was impossible to not fold under their innocent desire - not that Marty was not capable of putting her foot down where it was needed.

Finally, she sighed, rolling her shoulders back. "I've scrubbed her face already if you want to oil it while I get the rest of this," Marty relented with a shrug. "If they're not expecting you better to not return too quickly."

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm
Again, she was forced to pause, her thoughts racing briefly. Why would she care? What did it matter if a candidate had wasted time? Phryana turned around slowly--and blinked at Martirae in another expression of complete surprise. She glanced between the pair, feeling bewildered--but obeyed without further delay. "No," She said quietly, "I don't think they expected me to return today,"

Phryana looked at the golden dragon briefly, reaching out with gentle hands to begin oiling. "Please let me know if I'm not doing something correctly," She murmured, more than a little taken with the feel of that hide. It was one thing to learn about these things, but applying them in a practical sense was another.

"Thank you," She finally offered to both of them. "You didn't have to make the offer."

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:19 pm
Your time is a precious and limited resource and deserves to be treated and considered as such, Anakumath said gently, leaning her head into Phryana's hands. Martirae nearly rolled her eyes as she gently scrubbed at the hide farther down the gold's back.

Anakunath would have let someone waste her time all day with nary a complaint. Not that I'd let them, Marty noted privately. Her beloved could have done with some of her pride.

"Just be careful around her eyes. Anakumath isn't high maintenance but she does like circular motions," she advised to Phryana, knowing full well that her dragon would be content only for the care at all.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm
Her lips twitched slightly at that, but she said nothing as she focused on carefully oiling underneath the queen's jaw. Her time? A limited resource, true, but it was precious to her and her alone. The Weyr wouldn't notice whether she stayed or went, and that was simple truth. She nodded once at the instruction, and she'd also take care not to let any oil drip within the dragon's nostrils.

Dragons are as unique as people, but their cruelty is restricted to words alone. She mused. A dragon could not harm a human, not once they had found their rider. Her tiny experience with them had shown her that they could certainly be just as manipulative... but somehow, they did not instill the same inherent caution within her. One would be a fool to expect a dragon to keep secrets, especially from their rider, but that was to be expected.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:31 am
And how are words less cruel than physical pain? Anakumath asked genuinely. She was soft, fresh, and by an alignment of fate she would forever be anxious about....powerful. Nobody had yet turned such barbs on her out of malice, but she was all too familiar with how those who were not sparkling and metallic were looked upon. But she would never be blessed with their perspective, so if Phryana was willing to give it, she would ask.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 am
Phryana nearly gave another start when her thoughts were responded to, but didn't hesitate to reply. Words can damage the spirit. She amended. But words cannot beat one within an inch of their life. So long as I am still breathing, what care do I have for words? Words alone cannot kill. But she very much doubted this was an appropriate conversation for a young dragon. She, herself, was not a sensitive creature, but many had not been forced to endure what she bad.

Dipping her fingers in oil, she began to gently rub in circles around the gold's nose, paying careful attention as she did so.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:04 am
Anakumath's eyes greyed slightly as Phryana spoke and she leaned her snouth in to gently touch the woman's face for a moment. It was a world she'd never had to live in - even though her bond with Martirae, who had immediately grabbed onto that concern to root around for the source of it. A well placed word can be a knife or a bandage in its own right. she relented, knowing fully well that they could both be right on that.

The oil and gentle touches around her nose made her lean her head back to stifle a sneeze, eyes whirling for a moment before she leaned back into the woman's touch. It is all the better you are here where you are safe, then. You....are safe, right?

Tsunake
Weeks later and WHEN PHRY HAS TO LEAVE

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm
The gentle touch slowly stilled her movements, and she closed her eyes briefly to better still her emotions. To be treated so openly with compassion by a creature who knew nothing of her was... well, it threatened to be overwhelming. She reached out to hesitantly touch the dragon's cheek, wordlessly thanking her. You are correct. Words could heal as easily as they could damage.

As Anakumath drew back, Phryana only watched for a moment, gladly letting her fingertips press against that soft hide when she returned. Yes. I am safe here. Safer than I've ever been. She tried to send reassuring thoughts, not exactly knowing how. Thank you for worrying about me.

demon_pachabel
MONTHS LATER WHEN PHRY HAS IMPRESSED

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:00 pm
While still dutifully scrubbing away at growing golden hide to keep the itch away, Martirae also was pulling apart every worried thought like fresh growth of something awful in a perfect flower garden, curating what could stay and what could not. The love that it stemmed from could stay, the awful feelings that tried to linger with it could not. What bleeding hearts she fought to keep the blood inside of - how she loved them.

Someday you will feel safe in a way you never knew you could, Anakumath assured, offering wave upon wave of love to Phryana. Someone with so gentle a touch had to learn to be so gentle - and that spoke abundantly of goodness.

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:31 pm
She didn't stop working this time, instead contemplating those words. Safe. To be completely and utterly safe. It seemed little more than a dream. Phryana didn't think there'd ever be such a time--not really. Young as she was, she felt as though she'd seen too much to ever blindly believe in such a thing ever again. I'd like that. Was all she said instead, allowing herself to float in the strange warmth of love that flowed almost continuously from Anakumath.

Phryana worked in silence, still chewing on the optimism she'd been offered. Finally, once she believed she was satisfied with her work, she stepped back to meet Martirae's eyes. "How have I done?" She wouldn't shy away from any critique, if there was any. Oiling and bathing was essential for a dragon's health.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:13 am
Martirae looked up from her own work, dutifully needling at Anakumath's shoulder joints to make sure they weren't too stiff. Every day would be a spa day as long as Hers needed it (though it would never be admitted to). Anakumath, let me see, she bid, standing on her knees as the young gold turned her head to press it into waiting hands. She carefully ran her hands over each inch of that cherished face, scrutinizing Phryana's work carefully.

Nose, check, eyes had been careful as instructed, cheeks were sufficient, back of the headknobs.....

"I'd go heavier around the base of her head where it meets her neck - especially around the headknobs. She is growing a lot and gets a lot of flakier skin in those areas." Of course, Martirae was certain if Phry had been scrubbing off dead skin as well she'd have known that. "Otherwise, it looks good."

Tsunake

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:05 pm
Phryana moved in closely to take a look, her lips turned down in a thoughtful frown as she studied said areas. It made sense, and after a moment, she drew back with a nod even as she reached for the oil once more. "Yes, I see." She intended to finish what she'd started, after all, and after a moment, she gave Martirae a wry look. "I'm sure you've heard it before, but she's a beautiful." And Phryana didn't just mean physically. If she wasn't able to sense the emotions behind the gold's words, she would have doubted the sincerity of it all.

If nothing else occurred, the woman would make certain to do her best. Once finished, she would bow deeply to both the gold and junior Weyrwoman, thanking them for allowing her to assist. For them, it may have been a simple thing.

For her.... well. It gave her much to think on.

demon_pachabel

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff