A couple of weeks after High Reaches's most recent hatching, a pale brown firelizard appeared in the shadows on the outskirts of the Bowl. He was quite familiar with the weyr already, having delivered a number of letters here over the last few years, but this time Burl was looking for Sindras's owner, a young man with a new green dragon.

Rykin didn't know Ruunan all that well, all things considered, having only really spoken to him in the proximity of hatchings and feasts, but he felt more at ease around the boy than he did many of his fellow Western Candidates. Maybe it was the woodcrafting thing, or their dragonriding sisters, or maybe he just liked interacting with someone who reacted so sunnily to the things he could not.

Whenever R'uun saw the rolled up piece of paper that had been deposited near his bunk, he would find a short letter written in Rykin's careful hand.

Quote:
Hello, R'uun! I know that I am certainly not the first to congratulate you and your dragon on finding each other, but I still wanted to do so personally.

I'm sorry that I didn't speak to you at the feast this time around, but I had some family matters to see to. I hope to be back to High Reaches someday so that I may meet Indarrath face to face.

I would love to hear about your progress as a rider, but I understand how demanding weyrling training can be.

I wish you all the best,
Rykin
Sweet Symmetry