What, where'd this new adbar come from?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 pm
At the bottom of the gaia pages. Something powered by Firework. Either it's been there for awhile and my adblocker has been better about it (and they have updated) or it's new. In either case, I'm going to have to adjust my adblocker a bit.

Or, I guess it could be my adblocker, in which case it might be time to get a new one.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:12 pm
Oh, you mean the obnoxious one that'll slide up from the bottom of the page? Yeah, I noticed that recently myself.

The stupidest thing about it is how often it's a repeat of another ad elsewhere on the page, making it utterly superfluous.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm
Yeah, it started appearing a couple months ago. Quite annoying.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:41 am
First time I've noticed it, I guess my adblocker isn't dealing with it anymore. (or, the ad itself has changed it's coding.)

From my initial attempts, it's an adbar that has different coding on every page. it looks a bit like this:
www.gaiaonline.com##CENTER[id="yui_patched_v3_18_1_4_1585081286270_131"]

With everything being the same up until the _1_4_, after which point the number strings vary. I think the difficulty is that specific adblocking of the first part of the code isn't specific enough, and the second part of the code changes. I am only running a basic adblocker, so while it's something I can modify, some things can easily sneak through the cracks.

hum

Oh, I also found another one in the general forums, powered by Taboola. (that was a quick fix. but, Firework appears to be embedded into the site and not actually classified as an ad, just the things inside of it.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 am
I am going to attempt a few, adblock tests, see what I can come up with.

I think I got it. Plugging:
www.gaiaonline.com###fwn_videos

into your adblocker should hit it.  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas