Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:40 pm
User Image

Every once in a while, Ljena liked to head off towards the mountains on her own and revisit the chaos that had befallen her and the pride not so long ago. Those strange neighbours, the landslide that changed all the paths through the mountains, the long trip home.. the shrines that dotted the land they had stopped in. She was so tempted to recreate one here, but she couldn't answer the one question she needed to be ready for. If she made a shrine, would it be for the Great Lion or someone else?

It was impossible to compare the deity that watched over the Mwezi'Johari to those she had seen in the Ulili'mlindaji, she had faith in the Great Lion but did she think He would would truly be drawn to a shrine of His own?

She thought about this while wandering near the mountains, always wondering if this would be the time she found just the right stone to start her project or if again she would just walk quietly and think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:14 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"Even if things seem to be normal again, you shouldn't be so far out by yourself," a voice addressed Ljena from the direction of the pride. Iki'renkli took her duties as Hunt Leader seriously and always had, even if it was merely a front to keep people from panicking as the world seemed to turn upside down. At least it hadn't been because of a murderer taking over the pride. She might not have been born before that happened, but she'd lived through it.

Coming even with the light-furred lioness, a dark figure surveyed the same landscape. Of course, it was certain that whatever had caught Ljena's attention, it wasn't the same as what Iki'renkli sought. The younger lioness was far more of a dreamer than Iki'renkli had been in years - her dreams had died with her grandfather.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:24 pm
Ljena started when she heard a familiar voice calling out to her. She didn't know Iki'renkli very well personally but she could recognize the hunt leader even at a glance, and she offered a sheepish smile as the darker lioness caught up and started looking around.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I can't help but get restless staying so close together sometimes. It's a shame we don't trust these mountains anymore."

The pride had never seemed curious about the mountains here, at least in her relatively short life, but she still liked it here. It was part of how she had been caught off guard before.

"How far off track have I dragged you?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 pm
The dark lioness snorted and shook her head. "Don't be sorry, be safe," she admonished Ljena. "One of the Guards noticed you going astray and brought it to my attention since I was passing by. No one thinks there's real danger at this moment...but we don't want any pointless injuries." Or deaths, but that was something that didn't need to be said. Besides, given the strange dangers that had arisen, a quick death might be preferable to a life in constant pain.

She did understand what the light lioness was saying, that having to stay near chafed like ill-fitting adornment. But the Hunt Leader wasn't responsible for happiness. She was responsible for feeding the pride and keeping her Hunters safe while doing so.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:40 pm
No one thinks there's any real danger at this moment, but...

She felt a twinge of guilt, knowing the chaos her past disappearance had caused. Ljena hadn't exactly been without fear in her journey to the Nergui but knowing the pain she had put her family through even just being in the wrong place at the wrong time stuck with her the most. She was careful but there was no good way to explain that to someone else.

"I'm not a helpless child," she said, "But I appreciate the concern."

She glanced back towards the mountains, wondering if there was still a chance to find something or if she ought to hurry right back for the benefit of the inconvenienced hunt leader..

"There's just something about these mountains, I don't know if I just didn't notice it before or if something divine visited here in the aftermath of the earthquake and darkness.. "

She trailed off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Iki'renkli sighed. "I know you're not helpless. Dark moon, I would've said my sister, years ago, was helpless - and I was very wrong about that." The dark lioness was silent for a few moments, remembering those dark times.

"Why would you think something divine might have visited?" she asked Ljena at last. The Hunt Leader wasn't certain she wanted the answer, but it was an interesting question to have been brought up. So long as it stayed theoretical, at least...  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:55 pm
"Just a feeling," she said, looking back at Iki'renkli, "Our lands are new, we still have elders who remember where we lived before.. yet this is where the border of the darkness ended. And where our path home was cut off."

It was the only compelling evidence Ljena knew that they had indeed been cursed. Somehow, something had blotted out the sky only within the territory of the lions who worshiped the moon. Maybe it was a coincidence on this side, the mountains made a natural border and perhaps that helped contain whatever it was that had happened to darken the sky.. but maybe it wasn't.

"Maybe I spend too much time wandering on my own," she said, shaking off the thoughts, "Should we go back?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:18 pm
A frission of dread danced down Iki'renkli's spine at Ljena's words, and the dark lioness sincerely hoped none of that emotion showed on her face. There were a number of reasons why the Hunt Leader left religious maunderings to the Priests (and her eldest sister) and at the base it was because the scale of it terrified her. She'd much rather focus on those things within her own personal control.

"Yes, let's go back to the pride," Iki'renkli agreed, almost hastily. "And, Ljena, you do know you can bring your concerns to the Priests and Shaman? I don't know what answers they might have for you, but I'm sure they've considered these things."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:24 pm
She noticed the speed at which Iki'renkli agreed to return back to the pride but she didn't dwell on it, instead chalking it up to the inconvenience of chasing the younger lioness down and the nuisance of listening to some bizarre rambling about the mountains.

"That's a good idea," she said, turning herself around to head back towards home, "Perhaps I should do that."

Ljena knew the general consensus in the pride, that the stigma of being cursed still clung to some of the younger lions spoke volumes.. and she wasn't sure if she should actually consider talking to anybody about it. It was an unspoken rule not to talk about certain things that were bound to come up if she tried to talk through all her thoughts on it.

Iki'renkli didn't need to know that, though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Religion was never Iki'renkli's favorite topic. She worshipped the Great Lion like all the pride and looked doubtfully on anyone who mentioned gods walking the earth, but it really didn't impact her life much. She left that to Nyeusi who was, well, she had a reputation throughout the pride. And while the younger lions like Ljena could never appreciate how truly mad Nyeusi had been, they did understand that she was strange.

Iki'renkli shook her head as she realized the direction of her thoughts. Was she actually missing the days of Shangyue's rule? It had been terrible in so many ways! But...it was where she'd grown up and come into her own. The time period that had made her the lioness she was today.

Maybe...maybe the events of the recent past along with this present were forming Ljena in the same way. And wasn't that a scary thought?

Hopefully the younger lioness would take her advice and talk to someone who would know on the subject. And then the Hunt Leader could do her own job again.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces