Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm
User Image

The peak of summer had brought with it rising temperatures—though High Reaches never grew quite as unbearable as some southern and more low-lying climes—and thicker threadfall... and also the promise of new life. It had been a complicated feeling in Uridith's hearts when she'd had to depart the Weyr for Mictecath's flight: joy, to know there would soon be new eggs, new hatchlings, and jealousy that they would not be hers, and sorrow, grief at missing her Takarath. Still, the older gold dragon had decided to be simply happy for the new mother-to-be, and to look forward to meeting so many new faces when the time came. It wasn't her first go with such feelings in this last turn, after all... and she could not decide quite how she felt about realizing that it was growing easier, a bit, to push past any negative emotions that came with such happenings. Ahead were surely brighter days, and she was determined to make the best of things.

Today, as there was no threadfall to fret over, that meant finding a broad open ledge that overlooked the bowl, and draping herself upon it like a fallen golden leaf to bask and soak up the sun for some long hours. She could watch the growing weyrling play, and called out now and then to passing friends and wingmates. Distant wings at drills could be spotted beyond the Seven Sisters, and she trilled encouragement at them when she saw them pass. Yes, she'd lost quite a lot in her life so far, but hadn't she gained much too? Her wonderful home, her beautiful family... Even the youngest among her fellow golds were now making connections, building up their own little cadres of tight-knit friends and companions. All was well on Pern, or as well as it might be.

On a whim, and in mind of how many of her peers had set to indulging in multiple ledgemates of late, she let her mind cycle through the dragons she knew, or had thought she might like to know. She was not one to steal attention from anyone... but perhaps taking comfort in the friendly nature of a few others would do her good. Lestenna would surely approve as well. She had often encouraged her to get to know more of the Weyr's more promising dragons... but Uridith could choose her own friends and companions in the end, couldn't she? Yes, and—oh! There went someone she wouldn't mind getting to know a bit better now. With a shift of her wings and a gentle mental prod, she reached out to the bronze as he soared past. Nevidenth, how are you today? If you are not busy, perhaps you could come and sit with me a while? You've grown quite well, won't you tell me how you're finding it, fighting in the wings? And maybe share some of this fine sunshine in the meanwhile.

houllow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:00 pm
Nevidenth had just gotten around to spreading his wings and enjoying the sunshine when a call came out, clear as a bell and warm as a blanket. His hearts knew the voice - as did most of High Reaches, probably - and he turned his mind in that direction. Oh, Uridith!! Give me a moment and I'd be happy to join you. I just need to let mine know what I'll be doing.

It was simple enough for the bronze to reach out to his rider, the poor young man currently in the infirmary getting....something or another fixed. Nevidenth didn't quite understand how Yura hadn't seen that door, or the bucket, and then the stairs...but that was neither here nor there and Yura didn't seem to mind. The bronzerider had laughed it off as he went to get treated, sadly admitting to himself and his dragon that this was a bit beyond their homemade first aid kit, and so the dragon had time on his claws to do whatever he wanted.

Which was to fly and chat, it seemed. A day without drills or fighting Thread was rare, so whenever it happened Nevidenth made sure to take advantage of it. He was more excited than ever to do so now that a lovely Queen had invited him to her ledge - the very first time something like this had ever happened. He landed with grace in an open area before making his way over, careful not to let his enthusiasm over the situation spill out and cause problems.

Thank you for calling out to me! Today is a lovely day for sunbathing, and your company will only serve to make it warmer. He sounded absolutely sappy, if honest, but the bronze likely meant every word that he said. Yura had always said that Nevidenth wore his affections and hearts openly, which made him easy to talk to. Where should I sit? He didn't want to be rude and assume a spot, considering he'd been invited in.

ShinosBee

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:44 pm
The gold gave a soft trill of approval at the young bronze's prompt reply, and agreeable nature and response. She ruffled her wings slightly and straightened herself out, still sprawling but not taking up quite so much room in order to share with her soon-to-be guest. Take your time, Nevidenth. I will save a space for you here when you are ready. It had been some time since she'd had guests, aside from her dear children and grandchildren, and she was quite looking forward to it. Indeed, seeing so many other golds thronged by their dear sweet friends and followers... It would do her good, to have friendly faces on her ledge again.

She watched the bronze take flight and come gliding down to where she was in repose, fond blue-green whirling in her eyes for his presence. Her ledge had ample room and to spare—nothing like Eveleth's, or even Fianth's, but suitable for a queen hosting her court. For just the two of them there was an abundance of sunny stone to occupy, but she bid him closer as she shifted again, glittering and stretching in the warm light. Such kind words—you may lounge wherever you like, of course. My ledge is yours, for the time being, so be at home won't you? And I agree, such peaceful days are growing rarer, and are better spent in good company. How have you been faring? Is the fighting terribly bad in the upper wings?

She briefly reached out to her Lestenna, letting her know that she had company over, and received a muted touch of approval and mild surprise in return, as well as relief. It had been unlike Uridith to keep others at wing's length the way she had been since Takarath had been lost between. It wasn't a large thing, in the end, to have a friend over... but it was a start. And already the gold could feel herself relaxing. She had missed simply talking to others more than she had realized, it seemed.

houllow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:32 pm
Never the sort to properly judge distance, or perhaps too much of a joker and affectionate sort to put any mind to it, Nevidenth settled himself down right next to the great golden Uridith. Close enough that wings could touch, that tails could twine, the smaller and younger bronze hummed with (his own) approval at the spot he'd chosen for the company he was going to be keeping for as long as she allowed it. He'd spent time with other golds, naturally - his beloved sister (at a distance, since she had quite the group) and his sweet cousin (who had just successfully flown, how wonderful!) - but there was something wonderful about being asked to join someone who was much....

Well, older wasn't really a lie. Uridith wasn't a senior gold but she certainly gave off the regal baring of someone much older than he and his clutchsibs, hardly surprising considering she was the mother of his sister's....mate? It was complicated but nevertheless Nevidenth liked keeping track of things like that. Family was painfully important to the bronze, just like it was for his rider, so knowing who was who and how they connected was a task he kept close. It was pleasant to do and it always pleased him when he got things correct.

After finally settling in, careful not to hit Uridith despite their close contact, the little bronze started to answer away at her questions. The fighting is tough, but worth it. Some Falls are harder than others though. There was a touch of optimism in Neivdenth's tone, but not ignorance nor arrogance. He was all too aware of what had happened to Takarth, Uridith's mate, and showing off youthful bravado was not the thing to do. Nor was being entirely fatalistic though, as it was not his manner. Me and Mine haven't gotten too many injuries, which I'm thankful for. Our first time fighting Thread didn't go so well.

It had been long enough ago that Nevidenth had almost forgotten about it, though it was through Yura's memories that he could recall that first "blooding". The fear both of them had felt, and how horrible the Thread had torn into both of their bodies. They'd fallen out of the sky in a sinking mass of wings, Thread, and blood - grounded for a while with wounds that would only really heal on the physical level. Sometimes, his had nightmares.

How is it with the Queens? Are you doing okay?

ShinosBee

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 pm
She shifted slightly when the young bronze plopped himself down just beside her... but not to flinch away, or with disapproval. She simply moved to be sure he had space, and wouldn't come to rest on any stray wing or tail tips. It was nice to have company, and for a moment Nevidenth reminded Uridith of past days, days long-gone and not-so-long-gone, where friends and family had spent time tucked safely under her wings. They were good days, and good memories, and her mood was brighter for recalling them.

She listened with a mix of calm indulgence and genuine interest as he spoke of the fighting. She of course flew and fought as well, and hurt and keened with her fellows when they fell or were injured... but it was different than fighting in the upper wings. Of course she understood that it was her greater duty to lend a claw only from the relative safety of the lowest wing—if golds were lost, the Weyr and all of Pern would be in short order—but that didn't make her careless for those who fought and died above in the name of her relative safety. If there was more that could be done to spare them and ease their prodigious burdens, well, she wanted to find out.

Indeed—my own most recent clutch struggled in their blooding. It is... difficult, always, to see your children hurting. Worse to lose them. But still, I am very proud of them all. And of you and your clutchsiblings as well. I'm glad you are faring well in the fight, and surely all of Pern is in your debt. I hope it bolsters you to know that. She paused briefly, bemused by his question, softly fond of the young bronze for seeming to genuinely care. He was a good sort, wasn't he? We fly far safer than your higher wings. Still, thread slips through. It is always devastating when it does, but we hold our own. We've a few others among us to help as well, whites and healing dragons not ready to rejoin their wings. It makes me glad to see them return to the skies, and gladder still when they return to their proper wings. Even if I might wish they could remain safe. That all of you could.

houllow

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff