User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. The weather had been turning of late, cooler nights and mornings plus chilly rain, but the heavy snows and storms that were sweeping in had slowed Mireli and Daiena's largely nomadic herd to a complete stop. Those who were farther ranging from the core would have to find their own places to shelter. The twins themselves had turned in early before the big blanket dropped. Their extra fluff and how snugly they were curled up in their temporary camp den let them snooze through the plummeting temperatures. The snowfall dampened the sounds of the world at large so the mares weren't really disturbed by the sounds of the early risers, those more inclined to frolic and marvel at the glittering winter wonderland everyone found themselves in.

It had been their diligent companion that had finally managed rouse them. Oti worked as hard as they did, assisting them in their tasks. It was a slower season for Mireli, and with snow everywhere now, water wouldn't really be in short supply, but the mouse had wanted to make sure what botanicals Mireli did have saved and stored were safe enough from the ice and snow. Everything appeared to be in order so after his trekking about he made his way back to the sisters' den. By the time he slipped inside, he was shivering all over, his ears, nose, and tail stinging from the cold. They had still been in a doze. Oti snorted and awkwardly due to his stiffness, gingerly climbed his way up and summarily deposited himself in the toasty crook between Mireli and Daiena's necks. His chilliness and his shivering very quickly had both sisters raising their heads in concerned inquiry.

Longer haired Mireli frowned, bending her head down and nuzzling their friend. "Oh, Oti, you shouldn't have been out in the ick this morning. You could have waited for us. You're positively frozen solid! What possessed you to get out in this weather?"

The white mouse gratefully accepted the nuzzling from his friend's warm snout. "You both were sleeping so soundly, I wanted to make sure your things were protected from the ice."

Daiena snorted and craned her head to collect their ribbon scarf from where it lay folded up, dragging it over, and draped the length of fabric over their little companion. "It was too risky, Oti! We really appreciate that you were looking out for us, but my bit of gear and Mireli's seeds and such can always be replaced if they can't withstand the cold. We only have one of you and there's no replacing you." Mireli lifted her head and Daiena tucked her head down to snuggle their small friend in kind.

"We love you," Both sisters assured him in easy near perfect unison.

"Thanks, you two." Oti bumped his head against both sisters before nesting into the provided scarf.

Mireli peered toward the entrance to their little den with a tilt of her head, her slit pupils narrowing at the brightness of the light outside. "If you keep bundled up, nestled where you are, do you think you'd be okay if we ventured out ourselves? We wouldn't let you catch another chill. Can't have you getting sick..."

The shorter haired twin chimed in. "Or if you don't feel like braving the elements again, we can certainly build you a nest here since we've got it all nice and warm already."

Shaking his head, the mouse burrowed into the scarf. "I think, that if I stay where and as I am, I should be okay between the two of you. I can just keep covered to prevent my ears and tail from starting to sting again. If you two want to go out, I'll be fine. I'll just let you know if I need to be dropped off to get out of the snow again."

With a nod of agreement, the sisters rose to their paws and gave a big stretch as they did so. After some finagling to wrap a loop of scarf around each sister's neck while keeping their little rodent companion covered and secured between them. Out into the frigid air and into the bright, crunchy snow the trio went. Daiena and Mireli didn't have too much trouble padding through the snow, though the sharp points of their claws gripped the ground more readily at the slightest slip or slide.

Mireli glanced down at Oti, blinking rapidly as the wind shifted, causing several long strands of her mane to whip across her face. "Oof, and everything was secure, yes? To double check." The white mouse nodded. "Okay. Let's see who's around and how they're holding up."

Daiena agreed and the sisters set off through the camp. Most seemed to be laying low and keeping out of the cold, but some others were carrying on business as usual, or trying to, and others seemed to be out enjoying the lull in the falling snow to play in the light, fresh powdery snow before icing really set in.

Among those out reveling in the snow was a blue, red striped mini mare. It took a moment of conferring between the twins to recall their smaller herd member's name. Daiena spoke first. "Ah, Sanjati, good..." She paused to squint at the diffuse sky, judging about where the sun shone. "Good afternoon! How are you? Holding up okay? What do you think of all this?"
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Sanjati, for her part, had a thick, lined cloak wrapped about her to try to stave off the worst of the chill. For as bundled as she was, the small mare looked delighted. "Oh, Daiena, Mireli, good day to you both!" She paused and smiled upon seeing Oti peek his head out from what she had initially took simply as a decorative knot in the twins' scarf. "And you as well, Oti. I'm doing okay, even better once I layered up. I couldn't resist getting out and seeing how everything's changed. It's so pretty, even if it is rather more difficult for me to get around. The early risers' walking paths have helped a lot. As much as I'd like to check things out, I honestly think that it'd just be easier and safer for me if I kept close to the main camp. A little bit ago I tried forging a new trail myself and it, ah...It's pretty hard going when the snow comes up to my belly and chest in many places around here." She gave a slight shrug. "I'll simply find other ways to occupy myself. How are you all doing?"

The Siamese sisters looked equal measures sheepish and amused. "We slept in," The admitted in unison. "Oti had a busy morning though," Mireli added.

Refocusing on the occupied tie between the two cinnamon sisters, Sanjati tipped her head. Oti pushed his whole head out to meet her gaze. "These two looked so peaceful and cozy, I didn't want to disturb them, so I thought it'd be nice to make sure their individual gear was more or less protected from this cold front."

The minicorn smiled. "That was very kind of you!"

Daiena nodded. "It was kind, and we are appreciative, but he did get some fussing. We'd be utterly devastated if he ended up freezing to death out here." The mouse half withdrew into his makeshift nest, leaving just his snout and whiskers exposed. "We're happy of the help but never at your own expense."

Sanjati gave a soft chuckle and nodded. "A very fair point." She lowered her voice to just above a conspiratorial whisper. "Hey, Oti, perhaps next time you want to surprise these two, find me. I'd be happy to help you out, okay? There's safety in numbers in weather like this." She gave a friendly wink to the sisters and returned to her conversational tone. "Anyway, I think it's about time for me tuck up in my den for a bit, or maybe find a fire to cozy up to. I'll leave you all to it. Have a good one," She chimed pleasantly. "Try not to get too cold out here, yeah?" With that, off she turned and the minicorn carefully trundle her way off, presumably in the direction of her shelter or company of choice.

The trio watched her leave for a long moment before drifting onward, deep in conversation of where to go, whom to go check in on. There weren't any especially elderly or ill members of the herd that would need extra attention or assistance in such weather. They double checked on their supplies, and had been having a grand old time exploring the winter wonderland that had enveloped the camp. A now thoroughly warmed Oti even emerged to perch up between one of the sister's ears. They had been having a grand old time...Until they had gotten a bit too confident in their traversing and their paws shot out from underneath them, sending the sisters sliding down the hill they had been cresting.

"Ooooh, yep. I think that's enough enjoying the snow, agreed?" Daiena groaned softly as the sisters rose to their paws.

Oti, having clung on for dear life to prevent being flung from his perch, nodded vigorously as he climbed his way back into his bundle between their necks. "Oh yeah. Definitely. Are you two okay?"

Mireli huffed a sigh as they turned back toward their den. "Yeah, we're okay. Hopefully we were far enough away from camp that no one saw that..."

Which may well be the case, the clear imprint they left in the snow was another matter. Of course, there were a few Siamese siblings running around the herd so who would know for certain, right?

WC: 1614