User Image
User Image

Cosette became accustomed to her mate's nomadic lifestyle. She learned that despite the distance between them most months of the year that his love and affection never waned and neither did hers for him. Twilight always made sure to remind her of his ever burning affections for her, and Calore here was the latest reminder of that. He had a new journey take him away from her before she realized she was pregnant again. She remembered her first pregnancy and the following depression, the second she better coped, and this one, well, this one was surprisingly easy despite his absence. Cosette very much accredited it to the recent homecoming of her daughter Cicely, Noelle, and the trio of great granddaughters. Life was so much easier when there was family around. The mountain was full of life and full of grown children. It was everything Cosette could have ever wanted.

Cosette chewed her lip as she watched her newest son's chest rise and fall as he slept. She had three kids, then two, then one. Maybe that's how it got easier. But oh what a surprise it would be when Twilight came home next. Calore was Twilight's spitting image, and it made her hert swell and ache at the same time.

"Hey mom-- oh, he's sleeping." Cicely started and recoiled with a whisper, the very pregnant mare walking into the cave Cosette considered home. Cosette didn't need to look up at her daughter to know she was waddling - she was due anyday. Cicely came home for the coming of her kids. It would be great for Calore to have other foals to play with.... even if he was technically their uncle. The thought made Cosette giggle softly, causing Cicely to look at her quizzacly. "What's so funny?" She whispered, slowly setting herself down by her sleeping brother.

"It's just how big this family has gotten. How do you even explain who is who anymore? Calore is your brother, you're about to have his nieces and nephews.... Marius and Belial have both seen to the spread of our family as well.... I don't know the depths this tree goes anymore. You know when I came to the Kawani lands, I was just excited to meet a friend or two. But now look at us." Cosette smiled warmly.

"Have you seen Marius's new mate? Such a far cry from the last one...." Cicely whispered conspiratorially, wagging her eyebrows at her mom. She relished at the sound of her mother trying to hold back a laugh. "Guess he got over that Kalona stage."

"It's great that you can joke about that, Cicely." She could feel her wide smile lessen. She had not told Cicely about her run in with Persephonix. She did not tell her daughter that through the anger and hate that she and him connected on parenting. It was a guilt she refused to share - however Cicely's light hearted joke made her feel that one day she could share this connection.

"Well what am I gonna do, be angry my entire life? Also pretty sure this leg," she gestured with the once injured leg, "helped me land Ian. Or it was my sparkling personality." Cicely smiled wide and giggled. A few moments passed, and Cicely turned to watch Calore. Cosette couldn't see it, but her face had softened to a more serious look. "It's really easy to hate them all as a breed because of what happened. But I don't think hating anyone is really very 'us', is it mom?" Her question was framed more as a statement. "Aiolos and I.... we were just messing around. We were messing around somewhere we shouldn't have with someone we shouldn't have. I don't think what he did was right, but I have to be accountable to some degree too. And before you say I 'was just a child', please don't. I think it's time we fully moved past it. You found that unicorn and got me all fixed up and that's what matters most."

Cosette felt pride surge in her at her daughter's insight. "Your brother has not brought her around yet. Or their kids, my heart." Cosette shook her head, preteding to be dramatic. "I have heard she's an angel though - an an angeni at that! I know his last one was a Kalona but I promise none of us disliked her until after she just disappeared. All I can do is hope she's out there and that she's safe and happy." She meant that. After the incident with Cicely, Cosette felt anger and rage in her heart towards the demon-winged Soquili. She never felt it towards Neve however. She knew how much Marius liked her. She loved her grandchildren - Ishmael & Belial were like a miniature Zevach and Marius. She never looked at their devil-like traits and liked them less for it. She looked foreward to eventually meeting her new grandchildren. Cosette turned her gaze from the sleeping Calore to look at her youngest daughter. Cicely was watching her new brother lovingly.

"But you're right Cicely, I don't think hate fits us at all. And I do think you're right, I think it's time we moved past it."