Calixita

Crew

Wild Creature

63,800 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:51 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:32 pm
The recent reports from her delegators had Isra frowning. Pacing. Worrying. She had to face the truth: the Gadwa Leila wasn't doing well. Their numbers were dwindling for multiple reasons, and they were failing to bring in enough resources -- and profits -- to support all their members. Everyone was taking cuts in their own shares of food and water to support the children and elderly, but it wasn't a sustainable option. Not when you lived in the desert. She knew they needed to be more proactive about recruiting members, but more importantly, they desperately needed a big job. Something that would net them a payout large enough to trade for enough food and water to refill their stores. Something to last until the guild got back on its feet.

She couldn't help but wonder where she went wrong. Isra was the doyen, and it was her job to make sure Gadwa Leila not only survived, but prospered. And right now? That wasn't happening. How could she not blame herself? Gadwa Leila's failures were a reflection of her leadership. If her foodpads weren't bringing back enough or failing their jobs, it's because she failed to spot their weaknesses and didn't step in to help them train. She needed -- she hardly wanted to think it -- a new deputy. After Lesath's passing, the role has remained unfilled for months. Perhaps even a year, now. It was difficult to cope with losing not only such a trusted confidant, but a dear friend, too. Perhaps this was where it all started; her refusal to ask for help, to give the role of deputy to someone else. Stubbornness, she figured. Isra strived not to be; she knew that kind of trait was not desirable -- or efficient -- in a leader.

"I know that look," a voice to her left said, and Isra looked up to see her familiar, Samirah, perched on top of an empty coffer. Samirah fluttered her wings and raised her eyebrows at Isra expectantly. Isra sighed and looked away to stare at the wall of her cave office. Much better than looking into those wise, knowing eyes.

After a moment's hesitation, Isra began to speak. "Yes, I'm thinking about Lesath again. And the guild. I know what I must do, but going through with it... it's like admitting he's truly gone." Logically, she knew that was already the case. She had been at his side when his spirit left their world due to an illness they weren't able to treat in time. Lesath was well and truly gone, she knew this -- but she was still refusing to accept it, even now. Isra turned to look at Samirah and was relieved to see her familiar didn't roll her eyes or scoff; just looked at her with sympathy. Isra shouldn't have expected anything else; Samirah would never treat her like that. Not with something so important.

"Finding a new deputy is important, yes, but so is addressing your grief. I know you've heard me say it a thousand times already -- but you can't just bury it, Isra. You and I both know how long it's been, and what you're doing now... it's not working. It's not healthy," Samirah insisted. She, too, was worried about the guild's future, but her concern for her friend was greater. Time and again Samirah has tried to help, only to get rebuked by Isra's insistence that she was too busy. She didn't have time. Well, now they were running out of that too, and Samirah couldn't give her space anymore. In a softer tone, she continued: "We all miss him. We've all been grieving. You need to make the time to do it, too. And I don't just say that for the sake of the guild, but you need to do it for yourself." With a flap of her wings, Samirah flew across the room to land on a carved out shelf in the wall, closer to Isra. She stretched out to bump her forehead against Isra's with a gentle chirp.

At the contact, Isra closed her eyes with a heavy sigh, leaning gently into the touch. It was all very difficult to hear -- but Samirah was right. It had been nearly a year -- she needed to grieve and move on. Lesath would always be there in spirit, and that would be enough to bring her comfort. That, and the rest of the guild and her friends. This had all gone on for far too long, and she needed to put an end to it at last. They pulled away from each other and Isra took a deep breath. "Right. First thing's first, we must make sure the guild is provided for. Don't worry," she was quick to add after Samirah's frustrated squawk, "I know I need to take time for myself too. I will," she promised. "But if the guild dissolves... I can't let that happen. We're a family, we have to look out for each other."

Samirah seemed to be placated by her assurances, so Isra continued. "There's not enough of us in the guild to take on all the jobs we have. Unfortunately, those jobs are... small. We need more footpads, and we need bigger jobs. I need a meeting with our recruiters and agents to make a game plan." Samirah listened to everything Isra said carefully, filing it away in her head. Without a deputy, she would take on the mantle for now -- until they found a replacement. Once they were done with this conversation, she would round everyone up for Isra and help mediate the discussion. "I think we'll have to take more dangerous jobs. I don't want to put us at risk, but... I don't know that we have a choice."

Isra's next thought had her gritting her teeth. She didn't think of herself as too prideful, but there were things that she wouldn't do. Go against the guild's rules, for one. She'd also never give up on the guild. Once upon a time, she told herself she'd never beg soquili like the likes of the Rasheeka Bayda for resources. Now, though... it had to be considered if they were going to survive. She could take a blow to her pride for that. It wasn't as though they didn't have soquili or familiars on the inside that would come to them with a job from time to time. If they couldn't land any better jobs, it would have to be discussed how to proceed. An alliance or debt not balanced in the Gadwa Leila's favor was a dangerous one.

She'd keep that thought to herself, for now. If necessary, she'd bring it up during the meeting.

Now, as for the deputy...

"Samirah... would you take the place of deputy? I cannot think of anyone I trust more than you. You are suited for the role."

Samirah, however, shook her head. "I'm honored, but it's not meant for me. You know I'm happy to help, as always, and I can fill the role temporarily, but there must be someone else. I'm very happy being your friend and confidant, and I like the roles I play now as your aid and advisor. I'll help you, though. We'll find someone suitable. Now that you're ready to move on, I think you'll be able to look at our members with fresh eyes. We can start with our agents and recruiters."

Isra was disappointed, but she understood Samirah's reasoning and concerns. She shouldn't rush into making a decision right away, even if she was feeling eager now. Samirah was right -- as she usually was, Isra thought with a smile -- she should start with the soquili coming to the meeting first. The roles they held were important ones given to trustworthy soquili, and that had to account for something. Isra had to admit she had grown... distant from the guild. Aware that it was failing, but she didn't take the time to get to know any of the members anymore. Isra didn't realize how much she'd changed since Lesath's passing. "You're right. Thank you, Samirah. I'm sorry I wasn't listening before... but I am now."

Samirah chirped and bumped their heads together, then fluttered over to the empty coffer again, this time landing on the floor beside it. She used her beak to open the lid, and Isra watched in confusion as Samirah reached into her satchel and pulled out a bell. With a clink, the bell was dropped into the coffer, and Samirah closed her satchel again. "Good. Now, lets get out there and find our riches."

Isra grinned, feeling like herself for the first time in a long time. She nodded, and walked over to the cloth drapery that hung over the entrance to her office, nudging it aside with her wing, holding it open. "Time to gather our team and sort this out." Samirah shut the coffer closed and flew out of the opening; Isra followed, letting the cloth fall shut behind her.

The Gadwa Leila would be prosperous again.  

Calixita

Crew

Wild Creature

63,800 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers