[This is a solo Rp for Nimue and Nineve, specifically for July Rp contest]

"Nimue! Look out!" Her hooves made a harsh connection with the ground, skidding to a halt with an up kick of dust and debris. Nimue shook out her flowing golden locks, gentle eyes looking to the embankment she nearly tumbled head over hooves down. "You silly! You would have not even had a moment to open your wings before you skidded the entire way down!" Nineve scolded warmly, as the ivory pelted mare gave a little huff of a sigh. "What am I going to do with you, Nimue. As your older sister I can't be with you all the time, what happens if you want to play away from mother’s watching gaze?” "I don’t play…I’m too sad when you go..." Nimue gave her a purposeful look, bringing her horned head in carefully to nuzzle her neck. The expression twisted on Nineve's face as she looked down at her dear sister. Nimue had always been so blissfully oblivious about the world around her, quick to love, quick to be the first jumping in to help anyone in need. She gave her all, always. A bit older and rather wiser if she was to admit Nineve had been her sister's keeper since they were but fillies whenever they came back to these lands. It was hard since her sister had been directly affected by her father's choices in his position.

Alaeum had been such a prestigious stallion in their herd of Angeni, a warrior who oft headed down to the lands below to assist in ridding the world of lowly, un-pure evils reigning terror in their wake. Nineve huffed a breath as she nuzzled the side of her sister's cheek, knowing that one of those missions had resulted in him meeting their mother. Their love had been secret, overjoyed when he was able to bring an Angeni offspring back to the herd with a swelling of pride. Nineve had been fortunate to be born resembling a pure being for their rather strict and pretentious herd, when asked of her mother the little filly had to stretch the truth…her mother merely an Angeni of the wild as coached long and hard by her father. She would never forget the look on her mother’s face when her father had told her that she could not return with them, that as a mixed breed who had that telling horn on her head she would be looked down on, ridiculed…. his own position stripped from him.

Her mother had agreed, even if it had killed her to watch her beloved and child leave for long lengths of time without her.

Nineve’s world had been turned upside down when her mother had explained that she was going to be a big sister, her father had been hopeful for another selfish miracle. Yet for her…it would be someone that she wouldn’t have to hide their family secret from. Someone who would be just like her and that she could relax around; not afraid of slipping up that she wasn’t a pure-blooded Angeni.

Her sweet little Nimue wouldn’t be given that grace, instead she too was marked with the horn and tail of impurity in her father’s eyes. Despite it, she had been the cutest little filly with her bouncing blonde locks, bright blue eyes and a pelt as pure and fluffy as clouds. Nineve loved her the moment she saw her, sharing those same bouncing curls of gold. The birth of her sister had essentially driven a wedge in her family, her father had chosen not to tell anyone of his second born, leaving the filly with her mother. Nineve wanted to stay too, but it was not allowed no matter how much she pleaded, how much she begged. Alaeum wouldn’t have his story unravel so easily, so when they had come to visit…Nineve made the best of it.

For a few days every month, they were a family.

“I know its hard when we’re apart, but mother dotes on you, right?” Nineve said softly as the pair stood and overlooked the vantage point before them. “Yeah…. but she’s not as fun as you. Why can’t you and father just stay? Forever?” Nimue asked innocently, as Nineve swallowed hard. “Its…just not how it works right now Nimue. When I’m older, I’ll come back. I’ll come back and stay with you.” She offered a smile as her little sister’s eyes lit up. “Really!? You mean it!?” She jumped in euphoric glee, nearly taking herself over the edge if Nineve hadn’t grabbed her tail and pulled her back. “N-muue!” She murmured with a mouth full of tail, before she let go and gave a hearty laugh. “Yeah. I mean it. Come on, lets race back; Mom is probably worried about us.”

-----

Nineve jolted awake, the thunder rolling loudly overhead as rain began to drizzle down. A dream… it was just a dream. The mare let out a defeated sigh as she stood, slowly stretching out her legs and heaving her body to her hooves. “What a cruel thing to show, spirits.” She muttered to herself, watching the rain outside the outcrop of cliffside she had spent the daylight under. Haunting memories was all she had left at this point; her mother had vanished after the loss of her baby under her watch… not that she could blame her. Nineve had wanted to disappear too, the heartbreak of hearing her sister had been cast of her powers and her status as a ‘good’ Angeni for allowing the death of her beloved. When had she even found a love? Had it been that long since her father had allowed them a visit to the lowlands, coming of age to become an integral part of the herd. Her own visage was no longer any trace of what her family had looked like, scars ran deep in her white pelt; the cries of her father as her anger had bubbled and spilled to the surface.

She had killed him, ended his life with her own hooves and the training he had taught her to fend of the evils in the lands. Nineve remembered clearly standing over his body as the light in his eyes faded, covered in blood as the herd looked on in horror. Horror as she announced proudly of her mother being a Uniangeni – just like her sister, that he had lied because of their intolerance and purist ideals – but welcomed her, a half breed into their ranks unknowingly. In her eyes, the evil one had been him for casting such a cruel position for their mother and their family. Anger at herself for not forcing her father’s hand…for running away to be with her mother and dear sister. She had been obedient…and in her obedience lost Nimue and lost her mother. She wouldn’t allow anyone to come between her and her sister again, and if she was still walking these lands then Nineve would find her.

She had already gotten word from a stallion when she had landed first in the mountains, a bit weary and standoffish but when she asked eagerly if he’d heard of the mare she had lucked out. He did know her from long, long ago and was even able to update her on what she looked like, and generally where he had last known her location. It was enough to cause her to choke up. Her dear Nimue had lost those beautiful blonde locks, her body dull and frail. Worse being she was forced to wear a skull for a mask, to cover the wounds which no magic could ever heal.

She had lost her mind, too.

Nineve had thanked the stallion and made her way down to the valley, having been walking for days as she gathered bits and pieces of news. Sightings. Word of mouth. She had taken to the skies to look well into the night… when one fateful evening she had seen an odd sight in her aerial vantage. There was a mare, her coat white and hair flowing behind her. At first, she thought it to be a unicorn…but she had wings too. A uniangeni? Nineve had dove from the skies, landing a bit away as the mare turned and let out a loud growl. “Who are you!?” Her tail flicked dangerously behind her; spikes adorned the end in the likes she’d never seen before. She smelt…. familiar. Nineve wasn’t afraid of this girl. “I’m sorry for landing so suddenly…I am looking for someone very important to me. She’s also a uniangeni and you are the first one I’ve seen around here.” Nineve pleaded, her ears sliding back. “She goes by the name of Nimue.”

Airlia blinked, her demeanor changing as she looked a little surprised. “Nimue..? What business do you have with her?” Her low tones were full of warning, her sharp teeth still tense. “Do you know her!? She is my sister…my little sister to be precise.” Now it was Airlia’s turn to be shocked. “Younger sister?....” She thought hard for a moment, the mare did hold a resemblance, the scents a bit similar. “….Nimue is my mother. She never mentioned siblings…but she, she doesn’t exactly have the mental ability for it.” Nineve gasped, her heart lurching as tears burned her eyes. “…your mother?” Her wings gave a quiver. She was an aunt? Her dear little sister had family…?” “Yes, and more. I have my own children…as does my siblings and half siblings. Come…I’ll bring you to her and her mate. Whatever you are expecting of her….be prepared.” Airlia warned, as she turned and began to head further into their territory. “T-thank you! I have heard some things…but I understand. I am Nineve….and you are?” “…I am Airlia, Nineve.” Airlia glanced back; she had never put much thought to her mother’s side of the family before. So, she had a sibling, and then what of her parents? This was going to be an interesting night indeed.

[1659 words]