Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Dream computer? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jironimo Kasumi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:06 pm
@wanchi: Sorry to sound like a mod, but if you can't be nice don't post. You're talking about other people's dream computers - not your dream computer. Plus making statements without backing it up with info lowers your intelligence.

@SupremeOverlordLaharl: Newegg is a sweet shop! My friend and I buy computer parts from there all the time!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:33 pm
Newegg is definitely the place to go!!! mrgreen

Since the title says "Dream Computer" I'll go with what my dream is. xd

AMD Athlon64 FX-60 Overclocked to 3.6 GHz

2 ATI X1900XTX's in Crossfire OC'd to 1GHz each (A team in Finland actually broke that record for fastest GPU with an X1800 at 1.003GHz. I'm sure the X1900 can do just the same. 3nodding 3nodding And if ATI can make Quad Crossfire work, then I'll be even happier.) (Yes, I realize the GeForce 7950 GX2 is out, but I'd still like to see two of those beat two OC'd X1900's)

2 gig of Low Latency Corsair XMS Memory

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Motherboard

This is just the bare bones of what I'd like. I'd wager a guess of at least 10k for the proper setup. Getting a GPU up to 1 GHz is not something your everyday cooling system can do.

Back to reality: I'm stuck with a Celeron at 900MHz coupled with 512 meg of PC133 memory and a flaky ATI 9200 SE... gonk  

Jackalope2
Crew

Koryu Elric

7,625 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:33 am
Well, I don't know much about building computers, but I know how to work them well enough. My dream computer would work at a very fast pace (slowness makes me insane) and it would have an amazing virus and pop-up terminator/blocker. For some reason, my current computer keeps getting slower and slower. It's probably because my dad constantly puts more and more things on it. stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:02 am
Jackelope
Newegg is definitely the place to go!!! mrgreen

Since the title says "Dream Computer" I'll go with what my dream is. xd

AMD Athlon64 FX-60 Overclocked to 3.6 GHz

2 ATI X1900XTX's in Crossfire OC'd to 1GHz each (A team in Finland actually broke that record for fastest GPU with an X1800 at 1.003GHz. I'm sure the X1900 can do just the same. 3nodding 3nodding And if ATI can make Quad Crossfire work, then I'll be even happier.) (Yes, I realize the GeForce 7950 GX2 is out, but I'd still like to see two of those beat two OC'd X1900's)

2 gig of Low Latency Corsair XMS Memory

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Motherboard

This is just the bare bones of what I'd like. I'd wager a guess of at least 10k for the proper setup. Getting a GPU up to 1 GHz is not something your everyday cooling system can do.

Back to reality: I'm stuck with a Celeron at 900MHz coupled with 512 meg of PC133 memory and a flaky ATI 9200 SE... gonk

Hey thats really not so bad. I wont be getting two fancy video cards undortunitally, or my new computer would come close to that dream one. So whats so special about the A8R32-MVP motherboard? I am still deciding which one to buy....  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

Jackalope2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:18 am
The A8R32-MVP is (so far) the best motherboard I've seen that is built for an AMD processor and the Crossfire cards. Granted, I'd definitely have to upgrade the power supply to at least 600 watts for them. This is just my dream computer though. lol

I'm an ATI fan though. I'm slightly bummed that they didn't make a card that had 24 pipelines in it to match Nvidia's GeForce 7800 GTX, but the 48 shaders certainly add a bit of eye candy. 3nodding 3nodding If you'd rather go with a GeForce though, the Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe might be a bit better. 3nodding 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:02 pm
My dream computer doesn't even exist...It would open certain programs due to what I want or by my moods on different times of day. It would change everything according to my moods. Not to mention it would atomatically shut off when my parent's are nearby. mrgreen  

x_Inkheart_x

CosmicSweetss

Sparkly Fairy

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:32 pm
Jironimo Kasumi
Chii of Hearts
A mac... :: sigh ::

Or a really souped up machine running on linspire XD

Linspire? Just curious but why not Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, or Fedora?

I'm too lazy to learn a new interface? xd

I have Ubuntu I just haven't seen how it runs, when I have time I'll use the live CD, but untill then I'll never know. o.o >.>

Edit: There are nub-cakes using this computer as well. And since linspire looks a lot like win XP they won't know the difference xd

.... But I will! xd ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 pm
my dream computer would be more of a laptop sweatdrop

~ a fly book laptop with

-wireless highspeed internet
-virus/spywhere/spam blocker
-dvd/cd player
-has mp4 player
-touch screen
-batteries that last up to at least 4 hours. . . .
wanted it from santa but instead got F.E.A.R for the computer xp

but that laptop would cost more than my vaio-- which costs $2k & is already broke gonk

cool  

Keyblade Ninja

GreedsLittleEdo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:17 am
For a girl, never really thought I'd be wishing for a dream computer.. *drools* I want what everyone else's got.. Alienware does got some good computer but ur looking to blow alot of money but worth it. I want one that I don't have to have a damn fan running on the processor since it blew out >.< I hate Gateways, the stupid Moo-cows!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:23 am
An Alienware is what I need... And broadband. Right now, I have dial up, but I'm getting broadband this week! But if I had an Alienware I would play D&D Online for so dang long times a day that there would barely be any time to do anything else... ~Dreamy Sigh~  

Bringer of Pestilence

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:21 pm
I want a Core 2 Duo processor really bad, but all the stores have price gouged them insanely. The E6400 is supposed to be around $230, and is instead going for $300! Insanity ><
Stupid price gouging..  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:18 am
i only need one notebook computer with standard spec like
- maybe duo core proc (probably 2.0G)
- 512MB DDR2
- minimum of 80Gb hdd
- dedicated VRAM of 256Mb
- Wi-Fi, probably at the speed of 100Mbps is enough
- WinXP Pro is enough
and such...

plus, a very nice leather skin or pretty red color interface on the lid, and a good price~! that would make a very impressive notebook computer for me

on PC... well, i'm pretty much satisfied with what i have ^^
80 gigs hdd, 512 RAM, msi motherboard chipset945, geforce 5200, p4 2,4G...  

bl3s5ed

CosmicSweetss

Sparkly Fairy

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:17 pm
I changed my mind;

I want a laptop (so it can be my own) with Kubuntu on it. The stats would be 512-1gig of mem (depending on my $$$ sit.), a HD with anywhere from 20-60 gigs (again, depending on $$$), I don't know my processors too well but something that works good. CD/DVD player/burner, one of those fingerprint scanners, usb 2.0 AND firewire, wireless card... and.. Hmm.. can't think of anything else, when I can I will update!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:50 am
So is this comming from one processor and do you have a spare processor slot coz you could build a freking fasy computer here, and i hope you have heaps of ram coz i'd hat to see alll that power go to waste...  

kotenshu

8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games