Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
My friends play D&D : [ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Play D&D with them?
  AGH! God, no!
  If your friends are nerds, you probably are too. Just play.
View Results

Onirazael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:13 pm
Level of nerdiness aye?

First off nerds run this place, so better to be a nerd than a fool. But besides that you have to look at your own self-confidence. Are you confident in yourself and your identity? If you are then the hell with it and TRY it once. If you like it play, if you don't then your friends can stop asking you constantly to play.

But let's put it into perspective. I play a tabletop RPG.
My group consists of :
My husband who is an attorney. He is very popular among his colleagues and he actually enjoys the ability to run a good game. He says it keeps him on his toes.

My friend Lois: She is a playwright. She is very intelligent, went to Columbia. She is pretty, verbose and not in any way a blemish to society.

Then there is Will: Will is a 6'5" African American who would kick your booty for calling him a nerd. He is from Queens and very proud of who he is.

Next is Augustine, he is studying to be an attorney also.

Then there is me: I am a game designer.

My point is: You are falling into the general stereotype of what a tabletop roleplayer is. Sure there are alot of them that are amazingly nerdy, however there are alot of surprisingly NORMAL people who RP. I say don't knock it till you try it. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:35 pm
I used to think DnD was a geek's game. My husband was a dungeon master when he ran his campaigns. Finally, one day a few months ago, another friend of mine told me about DnD being played at a local hobby shop. I tried it out and now, if I can't play twice a week, I suffer withdrawl syndromes!

The key is to find a group that you can have fun in. There are books to read in order to get a better feel of the stuff, and oh yeah, did I mention have fun? Our campaign is probably the most messed up group possible.

We have a half-dragon, a sinful monk, a paladin (I spelled it wrong probably, sue me), a cleric that only heals us and causes damage to get our money, a dwarf, a loudmouth gnome, two rogues (one's my husband), a flirtatious fighter (me), a flamboyant bard, a drunken barbarian, and his friend a drunken ranger. It's amazing we get anything done! But the point is we actually work together at times and our fights are always interesting!  

Lucky Kitties

Z(O.o)M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:41 pm
does D&D cost money?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:26 am
demonic possession
just try it. it won't bite (unless someone involved is a werewolf mrgreen )

look at it this way: they could be asking you to LARP (live action role-play). It requires a total inability to care what people think when they look at you dressed up like a barbarian warrior with a foam sword chasing a guy dressed as a dragon around a public park.

Heeey. LARPing is fun. xD  

BoxyBlue

Dapper Codger

7,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200

KanadajinGaijin

Big Genius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:11 pm
Said before, I know, but try it. Once, twice or three times, and then your friends can't be angry you didn't try. You might enjoy it. Or you might have a good excuse not to try.

I have to ask one other thing to all the people here who say he should play D&D. I have a quest going to get 100 votes for a friend to play. I set an arbitrary number, and now I'm stuck with it. Any chance I could get some of you guys to drop a line on my profile saying she should play? Her name is Kabetz. If you leave a comment, we'll tally it up and add it to the score, and your name will get added to the list. If it gets done fast, I may just send out small presents to those who are on the list. ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:37 am
If you don't want to do something, then don't do it. However, when you're explaning to your friends that you don't want to, don't tell them that you think its pathetic, because that is rude.

I don't play D&D either, even though my friends do, although I have played once, and I found it terrible. My friends respect that, and they have stopped bugging me. So you might actually want to give it one shot, then you can say, 'look guys, I tried it, but it just isn't my thing' or, heck, you might find that you really enjoy it.  

Dearke

rocking rick

Aged Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:08 pm
I never played d&d itself, though i played Neverwinter Nights 1&2 (games based on the d&d system) it works really well for the game, but i don't think i have the patience for the actual board-game sweatdrop

Anyway back to the point. You can try to play it, if you don't like it, you're friends probably would respect that. If they're good friends that is XDD
But all i've heard about the actual d&d were stories based on stories based on stories, so i don't know the actually level of geekiness whee  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:01 pm
I wouldn't care as long as it's fun. (and not bad)  

Shizuka5

Da_Nuke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:08 pm
One of my cousins plays D&D with his friends. But that's as close as I've ever been to that s**t.

And I would gladly join them. I don't fear the social implications of that, because even though I spend 99% of my spare time in front of a computer, I can get any random girl's phone number in just 5 minutes. Only problem: they live 300 km away from the city.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:16 am
D&D is awsome never turn down a 16 hour session  

waningdream

waningdream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:25 am
just because some one playes D&D doesnt really mean they are a geek. belive m when i say ive played in a group where i was the only geek in there.
we had the wannabe gansta(step brother) the hunting/fishing fanatic(other step brother)redneck(uncle),super gamer(bro),goth, and trekkie all in the same game. so dont just say that D&D is a nerd only game. It is simply a game for the imagination. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:23 pm
It's way more fun than you think.  

Comrad Crunch

Vixen in Purple

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:37 am
Danno
Pretty much all my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want to sink to that level of nerdiness, though they continuously request I play with them. What do I do!?

just play.....it's fun! mmmm pizza and dew. and cheezits!  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games