Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Programming help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Help?
  yes
  maybe
  nope
View Results

royalstandard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:43 pm
Okay, I know this type of help rarely comes free, and believe me, I understand why. But, I have a website that I want to automate, and I can't do it by myself. I have the ability to tweak codes to do what I want them to do, but I can't write them myself. I have two books, one on HTML and one on javascript, but neither tells me what I need to do to turn my website into what I want.

Basically, what I want is a site like Horseland (www.horseland.com), if you've never seen that before. I want:
1) people to be able to create an account where they will have their own member page that is customizable (just like on gaia lol)
2) for people to be able to create horses without having to send a form and a staff member having to create the page (in other words, for someone to be able to fill out a form and to hit submit and the scripting then writes a webpage with that information upon it... check horseland's "Shop" page for this)
3) for people to be able to breed two horses together and for the foal to be created automatically without a staff member having to create the page (the same as the above but with randomly generated information maybe.. on Horseland, the page is created, and the member can input their own information)
4) have a shop where members can buy their own supplies (once again so a staff member doesn't have to receive the forms the members enter by email and then update it)
5) where a member can buy their own stable and then customize it (maybe like the houses here on gaia where you can put different items into the stables and make them look special)

That's the run down so far. It is so very much, and if I just had the knowledge I would be whipping it out myself, but I don't. The site that I'm wanting to automate is http://southernladyalways.tripod.com, and it's been my baby for about 3 years now. I want it to be popular as it once was, but it's too much work on me to have to create everything by hand each time something is done. Even if only pieces of this could be completed at once, that would be fine. Or, if someone would be able to show me a place where I can learn how to do these things, or could just teach me how to do it and I can do it myself. Whatever is the easiest, I'm up for.

Even if you know someone who could help me, I would love you forever. lol Please help in any way you know possible. xp gonk 3nodding crying heart heart  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:30 am
No? Okay... crying crying crying crying crying  

royalstandard

royalstandard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:53 pm
I got ignored! *sobs*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:10 pm
Aww...I'm in game programming next semester, but until then, I am of no use.  

Kara_Nari

Dark Fox9278

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:25 pm
i'm doing html programing too but sorry i can't help you i'm just starting  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:06 pm
yep what you are ask for is a complete pain to do. in fact I sagest to draw it out on paper (both the site & the interaction's within the site).

What you asking for in essence is a interactive web database which I would sagest using php. i never got to use it but a lot of site use it for what you want.

Also start looking at the 'page source' of site's that you want to copy, it's a lot easer to copy code than to write code & why should you wast a lot of time just to reinvent the wheel. It's a lot helpful when building & maintaining something like that if you learn from good examples. With that, try to understand the code & its function you copy.  

Isho Von Ra

poisonousdragonrelic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:25 pm
It's definately possible, but not an easy task. I'd advise you to find a site that offers website design tutorials. Search google.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:42 pm
I've got just the thing for you. XDDD
Web Design Help
This is a very helpful website. It's really given me a lot of assistance. This also good for novice HTML Programmers.  

Doc Ivo Robotnik

8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games