Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
My First D&D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hewhoshotdownthestars

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:00 am
I'm about to play D&D for the first time and I have a Char/backstory that I've been wanting to use since I was a sophmore (I'm now 21) and he's a Human/Paladin who becomes a changling demon. is this a good idea for my first char?  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:06 pm
From my experience playing, it might not be best to start with a demon. Unless I misread, then I apologize. Perhaps starting with your human/paladin and having him discover the his demon properties. The demon idea will make your character start at a level higher than level 1, unless major tweeking is done, so just start with the human/paladin to get used to the game.  

Dragonsoulj

Nepenthos

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:51 pm
Stick with the Human Paladin concept. Leave the demon idea for later.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 am
well he doesn't discover/unlock his demon powers until like level 10, I'm just wondering if this might be a little to complacated for a rookie to run?  

hewhoshotdownthestars

tikitales

Sparkly Loiterer

11,775 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm
Hi my name's tiki and I've been a DM for about 10 years and It's deffinately difficult to have a unique specialized character in your first campaign...but I say stick with the idea until level 10 and see if at that point you believe you can handle it...if so then your doing great... if not then he could always attain his powers as an epic character at level 20... mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:22 pm
If you want to play a demonic character I'd suggest reading the book of vile darkness, finding a torrent shouldn't be too hard.  

monofalls13

Visba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:35 pm
My suggestion would be to either play a simple character, with a well developed backstory but keep it simple. Then, your next character can be more complicated: maybe a multiclasser, maybe a sorceror who has the martial weapons proficiency feat and a scythe... something cool, but still staying in the Player's Handbook. If you're going for demons and fallen Paladins, go for the Book of Vile Darkness. Don't even bother getting the Book of Exhalted Deeds though, it sucks.

Also, for more complicated characters, the Complete Arcana, Complete Adventurer, Complete Warrior, Complete Scoundrel, and D20 Encyclopedia of Weaponry are great additions, if you DM lets you use them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:01 pm
i actually sell D&D for a living...recomendation is honestly for a "first" character human fighter maybe cleric if you want spellcasting. characters to avoid...paladins and rogues and inspite of my fondness bards. reasons bards and rogues have SOO MANY skills it isn't the easiest thing for new players to grasp. paladins have some stiff restrictions. fighters are easy but still customizable to your wants. clerics eh...i don't like them but im partial to bards but i found clerics easy for my daughter to play and understand she is nine but has been playing D&D and White Wolf games since she was five. She is fond of Druids. It really all depends on what you want to do which is the beauty of it.  

mamacateyes

Hercule Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:04 am
Dude, yer first character should NOT be a demon...Even though they sound cool, they're for people who have played the game a few times...Though, starting with a human paladin ought to be fun. I've always been one to use human fighters.

Oh, and if anyone don't mind me askin', I thought that the level adjustment modifier only affected their experience requirement to level up? I never really understood that, and I'm a DM.... sweatdrop I'm not too good at it...I'd rather be a player, but I can't ever find another DM. -___-

Wait a second, couldn't we ACTUALLY play D&D on Gaia though? We have tha' tools...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:30 pm
I agree with the above, keep it simple the first time. I have played two four year d&d games and I still am hesitant to step outside of the players handbook for races. It just adds a whole new element of difficulty to the game, plus the fact you have to run every little choice you make through the DM first to make sure he understands and is o.k. with the character.  

Dunedien

Navo Skull

250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:20 pm
I remember back when i first played the game. Almost 7 years ago, good times good times!!!!!
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 pm
first char try and keep it simple as can he/she can also change l8r. remeber my first D&D char friend was helping kept forgeting so i was a bunch of floating thieves tool's for a few weeks hehe good times  

TwilightSparda

Kira_Kyrie

Hilarious Hunter

2,600 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:41 am
I'm still a D&D virgin... ¬////¬

Never played before, and its weird cause it was like the very first roleplaying game right?  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games