Tsalagi1923

Enduring Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:16 pm
The Storm Called Life

As soon as she walked into her room, she threw her backpack in the direction of her desk and soon followed it, sitting down at her desk. Why did it always have to be her? Her parents were going to be mad at her, again. It wasn’t her fault that the class got disrupted. It really wasn’t. Yet, she had still gotten detention for it. Where was Yazu when she needed him?

The ghost was always full advice that helped her. Figures…even he deserts me. She thought to herself as she heard the phone ring. She groaned and waited for the yelling. She heard her mom answer the phone and went and hid in her bathroom, taking her backpack with her to make it look like she hadn’t come home yet. Maybe I shouldn’t have come home. I am sure they would like that. It wasn’t that she hated her parents, they just made it seem like she was worth nothing.

She locked her bathroom door and walked over to the tub. She got in it and pulled the curtain so she was hidden. There. Then she heard it.

“Andy!”

It had been the school. She kept telling herself to just stay quiet and it would go away, until she came out. Sure, her mom would be even angrier if she didn’t come out now, but she felt safer. Her dad was due home any moment as well. Probably better to just deal with her mother than both of her parents.

“Andy? Are you hiding again?”

She looked up and saw Yazu there. Perfect timing… She couldn’t exactly talk to him without giving away where she was to her mom. She did have her school stuff though. She got into her back pack quietly and pulled out paper and a pen. She began to write on it.

‘You know how my mother and father are. I can’t come out now. Maybe I shouldn’t have come home today at all. I am eighteen after all.’

She heard the male ghost sigh. “Andy, you can’t keep running from every problem that you face. When I was alive, my mother used to tell me that life is life a storm. If you are just going to sit back and let it go by without you doing anything, then what is the point in even being there? She used to tell me that when I caught myself doing that, I had to go get out in the middle of the storm and just have fun.”

‘How the heck am I supposed to do that with the parents I have. You know, the more you tell me about your mom, the more I wish she was my mother instead of the one I have now.’

“That, Andy, is part of your problem. You spend all your time wishing for a life that you won’t let be possible. You could have a life like that, if you would stop running from all your problems.”

‘But, I don’t see how I am supposed to do that.’

“For one, you can start by going out there to your mother and facing that raging storm. I personally would like to hear her be quiet and stop shouting your name.”

Andy sighed. She knew that Yazu was right, he always seemed to be, but it was not that easy for her. She had grown up the way she was. She couldn’t just change like he seemed to say that she could.

‘Mom said that the next time this happened she was kicking me out.’

“If you tell her that it would be all right with you because you were planning on leaving anyway, you might find a change come over her. Start by grabbing a suitcase and packing some things. Or at least make it look like you are packing. I will keep a lookout and let you know when she is coming.”

‘Fine.’ She wrote with another sigh. It was worth a shot after all. She put her backpack and other stuff on the other side of the tub and got out. She quietly unlocked and opened her bathroom door. Her mother hadn’t gone up the stairs yet, so she had some time. She quickly walked over to her closet and grabbed a couple of her suitcases that she had bought when she was seventeen.

She put them on her bed and opened them, taking out the smaller suitcases that came with them. She walked over to her dresser and began grabbing her clothes. Actually, really leaving sounded like a splendid idea. After all, Ms. Saichi said that if I needed somewhere to stay, she would let me stay with her. She had started putting the clothes in the suitcase when she heard the warning from Yazu.

“She is starting to climb the stairs if you couldn’t already tell from her shrieking. You know, I never thought I would say this, but maybe she isn’t someone that would change. Although, that doesn’t change the fact that you still need to face her.”

That is what I have been trying to tell you this whole time, Yazu. She isn’t someone to change. She didn’t stop packing. She didn’t care if Yazu realized that she was really planning on leaving. Even when she heard her door open she didn’t stop.

“And where do you think that you are going, Andy?”

“Leaving.”

“As long as you are under this roof, you do not go anywhere without permission. Especially after the phone call I just got.”

She stopped and looked at her mother. ”You know, three months ago that would work, but in case you have forgotten, I am eighteen and legally an adult. I can leave any time I want to. Besides, you were going to kick me out anyway.”
“And where do you think you are going to stay?”

”That is not something that I have to tell you.” She turned back around and continued packing. She knew that her mom would storm out of her room any moment and then she would call her English teacher. Sure enough, as soon as they both heard a car door shut in the driveway, her mother was out of the room, heading to tell her father. Big deal. The car and cell phone were in her name so they wouldn’t be able to take those away from her. She had bought both on her eighteenth birthday and tossed the cell phone her mom and bought for her back at her.

She grabbed her cell phone out of her pocket and hit five and then talk. She continued to pack as the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Ms. Saichi? It’s Andy.”

“Oh, hi Andy. Is everything all right?”

“It is about to be. I am packing.”

They already had it coded. When she said that, she knew her teacher would know what it meant. She was getting ready to head over.

“All right. About how much longer do you think it will take?”

“I just finished now so I just have to get out the door.” As soon as she finished the sentence she had zipped up the last suitcase and motioned for Yazu to grab one. She was going to freak her parents out, but she didn’t care. She was thankful that Yazu was a ghost that could carry things. She had grabbed two suitcases and he grabbed the rest. She didn’t even stop to think about how he could have done it.

“All right. Is there anything else that you are going to get?”

“No. I don’t need anything else here since you told me the room I would use already had a desk and a bed.”

“Okay. I will see you in a few minutes then.”

“Bye.”

She let her phone drop and she caught it, folding it back so that it ended the call. She was already walking down the stairs with four floating suitcases behind her. Her parents often called her a freak because they didn’t believe that she could communicate with the dead. How mistaken they were.

She just smirked at them when she saw their scared faces at the sight of the suitcases. Before she got to the door, the suitcases were ahead of her and she bit back a laugh of watching Yazu try and open the door with his feet. Once the door was finally open, the duo walked out and she saw some of the neighbors run to their phones. Loads of good that would do.

“Andy! Get back here now!” She heard her father shout. She was already putting the suitcases in the bed of the truck. When she had that closed and locked, she turned to face him. She was silent as she walked back towards the house. She had to grab her backpack and bedding. She needed her blanket and pillow. She had bought those herself as well. She didn’t have anything on the walls so there wasn’t much left to grab.

When she got to her room, she saw her bedding already in Yazu’s arms and went to grab her school things. She picked up her backpack and put it on her shoulder as she grabbed the notebook and pen. Now she was ready to leave. She was doing what Yazu told her to do. Walking out into the middle of the storm and having fun.

A couple more months and she would be free to start her life over. She was walking down the stairs when she saw her parents standing at the base of the stairs, trying to prevent her from leaving. She looked up at Yazu and then over the railing. It wasn't that far down. She put one hand on the railing and hoisted herself over. She landed with a ‘thud’ and continued to walk towards the front door.

She opened it and walked across the lawn to her truck. She threw her backpack into the front and watched as Yazu put the bedding in the small back seat. As soon as she got in the truck and shut the door, her parents were right there, yelling at her to stop. She didn’t care anymore. She was eighteen and had the power to leave without them stopping her.

She grabbed her keys and started the engine, causing her parents to jump back. She backed up, careful to avoid her father’s shiny Volvo, and then stopped for a minute to look back at them. She gave them a mock salute and drove off, ready to begin a new life.

[This was an entry of mine into a writing contest. Hope you enjoy it. It only took me about five to ten minutes to do while at the same time kicking Team Rocket behind.]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:02 pm
kwel. i had a friend like this.  

Amagine

LITERATURE

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas