Submit

hella uncool

Feral Nerd

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:33 pm
So my mom thinks I'm being sinful and have walked away from god because I don't want to go to mass with her and I don't want to go to church events. She's catholic and has raised me as a catholic but I don't like the religion. I still believe in God and the bible but I don't agree with her ways. I want to find a new religion that still follows God but she doesn't believe a word of it! She won't listen to me! she's yelling at me right now! I'm terribly distracted and can't think of everyrthing I want to say right now...but please someone help me!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:06 pm
(If it helps show your mom this post if you don't think it'll help sorry)Mass is not an extremely important thing gathering into a building to pray to God is no different than sitting up in your room alone before you go to bed it doesn't matter if your combined holiness is enough to attract God's attention just based off of the idea of God if you even impolitely ask his attention he'd give it to you so not gathering together to pray isn't a sin not even in the slightest if you even slightly believe in the forgiveness and kindness of God he'd understand so you're not sinning and she has no right to yell at you.
-Why Not?'s friendly neighborhood Buddhist.  

Nerevar Fatehand

hella uncool

Feral Nerd

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Nerevar Fatehand
(If it helps show your mom this post if you don't think it'll help sorry)Mass is not an extremely important thing gathering into a building to pray to God is no different than sitting up in your room alone before you go to bed it doesn't matter if your combined holiness is enough to attract God's attention just based off of the idea of God if you even impolitely ask his attention he'd give it to you so not gathering together to pray isn't a sin not even in the slightest if you even slightly believe in the forgiveness and kindness of God he'd understand so you're not sinning and she has no right to yell at you.
-Why Not?'s friendly neighborhood Buddhist.
thats sort of how I feel about it! and no where in the bible have I read that not going to church is a sin! but thats what catholics teach I guess...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:19 pm
so I talked to my bf and he helped me through it so I made a new post here about solving my religious issues ^__^. but you're free to post your opinion here, it might still help 3nodding  

hella uncool

Feral Nerd

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100

General Overall Deception

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:50 am
well, i am GOD, and I can tell you any catholic that force another person to go to church is not a good catholic, so talk directly to the guy in the robe and he can tell your mom about it :3  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:11 pm
If you're looking for ideas, my site, Guardians United, might have some inspiration. It sounds like your mother is trying to run your life. She'll probably do it constantly because she cares about you. I think she is afraid that if you stop going to church you will stop believing in God. Then she's afraid you won't care what you do and throw your life away. If you've nothing to hide, let her get more involved in your life. If she knows what's happening in your life, she'll worry less.  

Guardian1239

Loki god of BS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:53 pm
well for a starters it dose'nt sound like your mom is very accepting seeing as shes yelling at you. sometimes when you you choose different religion than your family you get shoved away for lack of better wording. in the area of religion you may have to do things that will in a sense out cast you. that is one thing about religion that makes it very hard to stay faithful or stable if that makes any sense. pray for help because God doesn't want you to be left in the dark and he will do everything in his power to help you. find someone who will support you like a friend. if in the end you feel you have to leave your mom or something to that extent you really need to be close to God and keep heading that direction if you feel strongly about odds are you may have made the right decision even if if it hurts and throw you off balance.
did any of that make sense? if not im sorry.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:26 pm
I myself am a highly devout Christian but I do not go to Sunday mass. It may seem un-Christian, but it works for me. Going to church regularly makes me feel as if I only need to worship one day out of the week. By not going to church, I feel freer to worship in every way that I can. Regular Sunday mass just constrains me that's it.  

Muckluck7

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:34 am
if within your heart you disagree with her particular brand of faith then nothing she says (or anyone for that matter) will make a bit of difference in regards to your feelings. and really, it's your feelings that matter, not hers. your soul (if we truly have one) is in your hands alone to do with as you see fit.

personally, I dont believe in a personal god of any kind. but I would venture to say, that if the christians are right and jesus is god he really wouldnt care what denomination you belong to, just so long as you believe in him and adhere to the golden rule, and be the best kind of person you can be. if I remember correctly, going to church wasnt even a big deal to him, he told his followers the best way to pray was in your own home in a darkened room by yourself. no need for priests, no need for confession. I personally think he would completely disagree with the catholic church. maybe try to remind your mother of these things.

there are so many denominations only because *people* cant agree. I really dont think god cares all that much.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:11 pm
go to any church, it says to do that in the bible. ok it doesn't say "go to church" or "go to mass" but Jesus did that(sorry for ppl who don't believe). and isn't Jesus just a human form of God ?so find a curch that works for you, and go. i just recently started enjoying church because the ppl there are fun!they make religion intresting!  

DvnT

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:23 pm
dvn
go to any church, it says to do that in the bible. ok it doesn't say "go to church" or "go to mass" but Jesus did that(sorry for ppl who don't believe). and isn't Jesus just a human form of God ?so find a curch that works for you, and go. i just recently started enjoying church because the ppl there are fun!they make religion intresting!

jesus didnt go to church, he went to the temple, he was jewish, they called him 'rabbi'. the 'church' wasnt created until after he died. *christianity* didnt start until after he died. there was nothing called 'christianity' or a 'christian' while he still lived. as for prayer (communication with god), he said the best way, was as I noted in my previous post, alone.

but church is not just for prayer, it's for companionship in ones religious beliefs. but as I said, whether you go to a church or not or what church you go to, I dont think he'd care so long as you're true to him in your heart, adhere to his teachings (HIS teachings, not those of whatever particular church you go to) which are fairly simple. it is *people* that make what particular denomination you belong to important or not, not god.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:28 am
God wants people to have fellowship together when they worship, but it is also just fine to do this alone. part of the role of the church is to strengthen and guide you in your worship. i think what would be best is to try and find a church where you are comfortable (i personally suggest a baptist church, being as i am baptist, but you find what works for you and whose teachings are biblically based). good luck!  

Cyd Vicious

Ombrophobia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:00 pm
No one should get in your way between you and your relationship with Christ. If your mother can't respect that she has no right to call herself a believer of God. Different people worship different ways.

I understand Catholics too, when I left the catholic church, my grandmother told me 'You're going to burn in hell, and I'm going to watch you fom over the lake of fire and through the gates of Heaven and laugh at you.' My old, sickly, says a rosary every night grandmother said this.

This doesn't mean I'm going to burn. I just worship in a different way, and I know that my grand mother still loves me too, and she just wants whats best for me. I'm sure your mother is just worried about you.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:13 am
I myself don't believe in the christian's god, but I do believe in A god. As to who that god is, I figure there's no way to prove who it is. See, in my personal opinion, the bible was written by man, so therefore everything in it is man's word and not the word of a greater being. They may have been inspired by some divine influence maybe, but there is no way to prove that they were or weren't. In my mind, the bible is a book of stories written by man to tell you what is good and what is bad, and nothing really more. Sorta just a reminder of man's counscience. Don't know if this really helps, but thought it might be interesting for anyone to read maybe. >.>;  

- The Dying Messiah -

Nariko914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:34 pm
Please now that I applaud and support you.

Not going to church is not a sin. Your mother does not sound like a Catholic - she sounds like a control freak. (Just for the record, I don't believe in the Catholic religion at all, either).

If you do believe in God, then He certainly ahs no standards about whether you go to church or not. The point of all forms of Christianity is to love and be kind to everyone you meet. Most religious people do not understand this at all.

In the Gospel Q, it says that God is Love.

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff