Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:31 pm
My dad found this article in the local newspaper this morning. Here is the first part of it:

Scientists have recovered microorganisms from ancient Antarctic ice and coaxed it back to life in the lab, according to a study published today. The glacial ice acted as a "gene Popsicle," preserving DNA that hasn't circulated in the gene pool for up to 8 million years. If warming melts the glaciers, the DNA could fuel a new wave of bacterial evolution, the researchers reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. - "Scientists revive life frozen in Antarctic," by Karen Kaplan, Los Angeles Times staff writer

The article went on to say that the organisms could come back to life in nature, as well, if the ice melted, thus starting that afore-mentioned "wave of bacterial evolution". I asked my dad if that was good or bad. "Bad," he told me. "Nobody would have an immunity. 'Bad' as in 'plague'."

So, a dangerous bacterial strain, 8 million years old, in Antarctic ice. Where do you think my mind went? cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:44 pm
dang, thats intense! i hadnt heard about that! that could definitely be a bad thing. though i'm sure good things could come too. and now that we have some idea of whats out there, maybe we can produce vaccines just in case. you never know. and OF COURSE, my mind went exactly the same place while reading that. ^_^  

MinakoTenjou
Crew

6,950 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conversationalist 100

goddess velya
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:34 am
it might not be a bad thing, i mean there's a massive number of bacteria that are harmless to human and thats without immunity, maybe thses are the same way  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:13 am
We have no evidence at all that this might be a bad thing. Can we get some before we get all hysterical? Also note the presence of a few "ifs" and "could"s in there.  

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:08 am
Who said anything about hysteria? I'm making a reference.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:26 am
ooohhhhh!!!.....interesting...hmm...*mind wanders off*....  

Lt. Colonel Sam Carter
Vice Captain

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:34 pm
Not you, kittyfox. Not anyone, really. I've seen people get hysterical about things like this in other forums, and I really don't want it to happen here. I LIKE this place! I don't want it to get crap! *goes and cries in corner*  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:43 pm
Still, if anything of that nature does happen as a result of this, it'll be my fault. cry  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:31 pm
True. It is now your responsibility to jump on anyone who gets hysterical.

I'll help. Though, since no-one has posted any hysteria at this point, I doubt its going to happen. Yay!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:39 pm
Alot of articles like that, they're trying to shock the public. It's just like when they found those meteorites in Antarctica that look like they may have fossilized bacteria.  

Tarica
Crew

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:34 pm
But they really have proof this time. It really is alive.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:58 am
Its in the papers here too.

Although I agree with Tarica. Like the time they found a man's face on Mars and that automatically meant aliens.  

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:55 pm
But NASA went on for ages about how it was a natural occurrence. They even took a picture from a different angle of the same rock. It was only a shadow.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:38 am
Wow! eek As a Biology major, I understand how bad that would be for the world if that ancient bacteria's genome entered our present-day gene pool! eek We would all die....except for maybe 1 or 2 individuals, who by some stroke of evolutionary luck might be immune to those "new" strains of bacteria. Think about it: with the HIV virus already wreaking havoc on all our diseases (creating new strains of viruses and altering bacterial DNA, as HIV is a retrovirus)---if the HIV virus gets ahold of these ancient bacterial strains, the entire human (and possibly ALL life, depending how they are altered) will be wiped out! eek  

Angry Kitsune
Crew

Wheezing Shapeshifter

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:31 pm
kittyfox_kumiko
But NASA went on for ages about how it was a natural occurrence. They even took a picture from a different angle of the same rock. It was only a shadow.

Yeah, I know. But people still say theres aliens on Mars and point to that picture to prove it. NASA was only covering it up, after all. Its a government conspiracy.  
Stargate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff