Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Does fear of the dark make you foolish Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Caramel Flavored Hat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 am
Does fear of the drak maake you foolish?I think i have nyctophobia(fear of the dark)and my father says im an a** for being afraid..  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 am
Seems like he's the one being an a**, everyone's afraid of something be it the dark,spiders,heights,tight spaces or whatever everyone has a fear I don't think he should be calling you an a** and as for the actual question no it doesn't make you foolish at least I hope not then I'm more of a fool than I thought at first. sweatdrop  

Nerevar Fatehand

MiStiEM00K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:14 am
everyone is afraid of something. . .
i'm afraid of dolls
and i'm cleithrophobic
as in im afraid of being locked in small spaces.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:15 pm
The Jabborwock
Does fear of the drak maake you foolish?I think i have nyctophobia(fear of the dark)and my father says im an a** for being afraid..

you're NOT an a** for being afraid. I think it's terrible that your father said this to you. there are few things to me that are worse than a parent ruining his/her childs self-esteem. everyone has fears to one degree to another. I dont think you're foolish. a LOT of people fear the dark. and you may grow out of it. if it is a true phobia, then eventually you might wanna see a psychologist about it.

you are not foolish in my book, hon.  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:16 pm
MiStiEM00K
i'm afraid of dolls
and i'm cleithrophobic

isnt that claustrophobia? that may be what you meant.. but there are SO many phobias out there I wanted to make sure lol  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:43 am
I've been afraid of the dark since I was a little kid and didn't really stop until about 18 when I lived in my college dorm, although I can still get frightened at night and do a bunch of little "rituals" that help me feel safe. I am absolutly sure that what makes me afraid of the dark is low self esteem. My self-esteem has greatly increased since I was a kid and I now feel alot more comfortable with the lights out. However, I'm not so sure that low self esteem is the cause to all phobias, but for some people it might be.  

super_nerd42

Gopher dude

Questionable Lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:27 pm
lilraine
The Jabborwock

you're NOT an a** for being afraid. I think it's terrible that your father said this to you. there are few things to me that are worse than a parent ruining his/her childs self-esteem. everyone has fears to one degree to another. I dont think you're foolish. a LOT of people fear the dark. and you may grow out of it. if it is a true phobia, then eventually you might wanna see a psychologist about it.

If he isn't trying to ruin his child hood (unless he's got like a record or somthing whatever this is one case I'll make of it what it seems like) he's just telling him to hoist up his go-nads and be a manly man and go kick his fears a**. It's good to be afraid of things it gives us manly men a rush of adrenaline in order to kick said scary things a** it's a natural part of life...I was once afraid of the dark and then I figured "it's just dark..you know this is pretty good light to sleep in!"

Humans are sort of naturaly afraid of the dark. Ever since we started weaning our babies on fire we've bine afraid of the dark due to the fact that our cavemen minds are thinking "oh christ it's dark..I sure hope no wolves or godzilla's pop out of the dark.. gonk "  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 pm
for a male. i can understand how it can be a stigma to be afraid of something.
though i'm a girl ^_^

its a natural instinct to be afraid of what you can not see.
i dont think there is a fear of dark...more like, fear of not seeing what is in front of you or knowing. one of your best senses feels cut off.

you may be able to try a few things that could decrease your anxiety about it.
best to start with your room and familiarize what is around you. and then there are night lights. and since it is your room, just know that nothing can get you.  

Bunai

Angelic Blob

unrequietedCat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 pm
There are ALOT of people who are afraid of the dark, I'm not always all that comfortable in it myself. Last i heard it's supposed to be some sort of leftover survival method hardwired into us from when people had a good reason to be on edge in the dark. Kindof like dogs have left over habits from their wilder days (like the way a dig circles before it lays down is a leftover instinct to flatten the grass before laying down). Besides, it's certianly nothing to be cosidered foolish for.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:15 am
Gopher dude
lilraine
The Jabborwock

If he isn't trying to ruin his child hood (unless he's got like a record or somthing whatever this is one case I'll make of it what it seems like) he's just telling him to hoist up his go-nads and be a manly man and go kick his fears a**. It's good to be afraid of things it gives us manly men a rush of adrenaline in order to kick said scary things a** it's a natural part of life...I was once afraid of the dark and then I figured "it's just dark..you know this is pretty good light to sleep in!"

Humans are sort of naturaly afraid of the dark. Ever since we started weaning our babies on fire we've bine afraid of the dark due to the fact that our cavemen minds are thinking "oh christ it's dark..I sure hope no wolves or godzilla's pop out of the dark.. gonk "

he may not be *trying* to mess his kid up, but calling ones child an a** because of a fear is pretty messed up. it could very well keep a child from being able to approach his/her parent when they need to for other things. I suppose the concept of 'compassion' isnt manly enough for some men. as if to be compassionate equals a weakness some how. kids need compassion and understanding from their parents (both, preferrably) as well as lessons in being tough when one has to.  

Calypsophia

MiStiEM00K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:27 am
lilraine
MiStiEM00K
i'm afraid of dolls
and i'm cleithrophobic

isnt that claustrophobia? that may be what you meant.. but there are SO many phobias out there I wanted to make sure lol

lol no
claustrophobia is a fear of small spaces
cleithrophobia is a fear of being locked in small spaces
there is a difference because claustrophobics would be afraid of their closet
whereas i have no problem because my closet doesn't have a lock.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:22 pm
MiStiEM00K
lilraine
MiStiEM00K
i'm afraid of dolls
and i'm cleithrophobic

lol no
claustrophobia is a fear of small spaces
cleithrophobia is a fear of being locked in small spaces
there is a difference because claustrophobics would be afraid of their closet
whereas i have no problem because my closet doesn't have a lock.

lol see? learn something new everyday. thanx biggrin  

Calypsophia

MiStiEM00K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:18 am
lilraine
Gopher dude
lilraine
The Jabborwock

he may not be *trying* to mess his kid up, but calling ones child an a** because of a fear is pretty messed up. it could very well keep a child from being able to approach his/her parent when they need to for other things. I suppose the concept of 'compassion' isnt manly enough for some men. as if to be compassionate equals a weakness some how. kids need compassion and understanding from their parents (both, preferrably) as well as lessons in being tough when one has to.

second'd
a kid needs understanding from their parents
as well as a lesson
but then again you can't be too harsh about it
my mom always had a problem with the fact that i'd rather play with cars than dolls
but she understood that i was afraid of dolls
and that it was my fathers particular fault
and she shouldn't blame me for my "issues."

oh and no problem =P  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:44 pm
I dont think fear of the dark makes anyone foolish. I have a theory that fear of the dark comes from the time when people where suseptable to predatory animals that were nocturnal. Not only were there predatory animals, but people coulndt see as well so if they left the safety of the group, they might very well walk off a cliff. So fear of the dark was a way to keep humans safe long ago that was bred into humans around the world today. biggrin  

AvariciaMooneater

idiotic randomness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 pm
i dont fear the dark i fear what's maby hiding in it.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff