Reply Eclipse
Eclipse: Disappointing? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tokii pop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:15 pm
Yes, I felt the need to tear it apart and lay it out because maybe it's just me but I found Eclipse to be a terrible disappointment? So stay with me a second... some slight spoilers depending on where this discussion goes.

I picked it up the day it came out but didn't read straight through the night like I normally would. About two chapters in I was bored. I shrugged it off as the book getting off to a slow start. Although as it progressed into a very formless plot and an over-abundance of nighttime Bella/Edward scenes I began to wonder if this was going anywhere at all.
Of course there was always just that one little interesting twist (very little twist) that kept you going just lost enough. I found that the climax of the book was pretty, well, dumb. Who couldn't see that fight coming from a mile away? (not going to spoil it for those of you who aren't done yet!)

I'm a huge Stephenie Meyer fan, but I noticed that Eclipse just wasn't as thrilling as Twilight or New Moon. Edward didn't seem to have that charm he does in the other books. Bella's backbone seems to have all but vanished in this installation too. Don't even get me started on Jacob!

Another big problem for me (remembering this is just my opinion) is the awkward dialogue. It's a book, it's fiction, but I often would stop and wonder 'would someone actually say that? No matter who they are?' Again, maybe it's just me?

So you must wonder why I am ranting at you about all this? Well, I was curious to know if anyone else that Eclipse just didn't seem to fit? This is just my opinion and I'm interested in what other people have to say about the latest Twilight book.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:24 pm
you do know there is a fourm for this and your sopposed to use that  

XXXHugThePsychoXXX

Aryamenda13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 am
i totally agree with you, i stopped a bunch of times durnig the book and was like "did you really just SAY THAT?" And even though i love reading about bella and edward and no force on earth could keep me away from the series, this book wasn't really half as exciting as the others. it was mostly bella trying to figure out what to do with jacob, and by the end she still isn't positive about anything. it didn't have "on the edge" thing the other books had.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:33 am
I can see where you are coming from but if you think about it. This book is starting to close off somethings in the series. It is the 3rd book and it could have been more exciting but there are still 2 more books to come. I think that it ended on a very good cliff hanger and I was very into the book for most of it. As a climax in the series I think it fell a little short. New Moon was more of a climax but I think that Stephanie is going to throw a few curve balls in the next book.  

MagicalLandofPenguins

Syrette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:47 pm
"Thought I'd begin by reading
a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought...."

I'm going to have to disagree, I like Eclipse the best so far. I felt that this book was more laying out the field for Breaking Dawn, kind of like the sixth Harry Potter book. In Eclipse, the characters were really beginning to dive deeper as with the plot. The Twilight series, I've noticed, is character driven, so as they characters grow and morph, so does the storyline. We learned more about the more minor characters that might seem insignificant, but serve a purpose, like the Leah/Sam/Emily parallel to Jacob/Bella/Edward's situation.

Eclipse really grew out of just the romance between Bella and Edward and dug out all the real problems. The dialogue was awkward at times, but I thought it fit since the relationships between everyone was starting to become awkward as well.
The book was perfect to me. Especially the ending. And I know people will disagree with me on that. D;

On the characters, Edward and Jacob's true character really came out. In the last two books, we had Bella's perfect little descriptions and nothing to really contridict them. In Eclipse, through their dialogue and actions that couldn't be sugar coated, we really see them and not through Bella's caring eyes. Especially the Epilogue. ::cries:: And Bella was more fleshed out in Eclipse. She had a heavy decision on her hands and I think that she handled it very realistically, like an actual person and not just an excuse of a fictional chic.

Eclipse to me was the more realistic book of the series. Meaning that there were actual problems that we could relate to and they were handle realistically while keeping the fantasy.

Maybe we all are holding Eclipse to some imaginary standard that we set, but Eclipse wasn't very anticlimactic. Compared to Twilight, it didn't have the mystery that Twilight had and in New Moon, well, that one was the book I found the most anticlimactic. There wasn't anything much. Eclipse had action more than the sense of mystery and even if we saw the fight from a mile away, we didn't know how it would go. We knew the beginning and end, but not the meat or middle of the actual fight, which was the most exciting and suspenseful.

And that's my long winded opinion. D;

...Why should I?
He never reads any of mine." -Spike Milligan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:26 am
Well, there were times that I thought... Are you actually having a conversation or just having your own speech in front of an audience?

But I felt that some of those were necessary, since the books are in Bella's POV, she just can't start describing what's going on like it could have if it were in third person unless she knew everything.  

julliel

Tipsy Ladykiller

6,600 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

cuppy!cake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:43 am

I agree with you 100%!
It was quite predictable. Love triangle and a fight scene.
& for some reason I couldnt really get *into* the book, I actually skipped the whole part about the 3 wives confused

=(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:02 am
Well I guess we all cant love Eclipse the 3 wives part was actually interesting to me if u like that old acient legend thing I think some ppl who dont like Eclipse like more non reality books 3nodding  

niecerpiecer

Pentagramy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 am
Taru-chan --Again--

I'm going to have to disagree, I like Eclipse the best so far. I felt that this book was more laying out the field for Breaking Dawn, kind of like the sixth Harry Potter book. In Eclipse, the characters were really beginning to dive deeper as with the plot. The Twilight series, I've noticed, is character driven, so as they characters grow and morph, so does the storyline. We learned more about the more minor characters that might seem insignificant, but serve a purpose, like the Leah/Sam/Emily parallel to Jacob/Bella/Edward's situation.

Eclipse really grew out of just the romance between Bella and Edward and dug out all the real problems. The dialogue was awkward at times, but I thought it fit since the relationships between everyone was starting to become awkward as well.
The book was perfect to me. Especially the ending. And I know people will disagree with me on that. D;

On the characters, Edward and Jacob's true character really came out. In the last two books, we had Bella's perfect little descriptions and nothing to really contridict them. In Eclipse, through their dialogue and actions that couldn't be sugar coated, we really see them and not through Bella's caring eyes. Especially the Epilogue. ::cries:: And Bella was more fleshed out in Eclipse. She had a heavy decision on her hands and I think that she handled it very realistically, like an actual person and not just an excuse of a fictional chic.

Eclipse to me was the more realistic book of the series. Meaning that there were actual problems that we could relate to and they were handle realistically while keeping the fantasy.

Maybe we all are holding Eclipse to some imaginary standard that we set, but Eclipse wasn't very anticlimactic. Compared to Twilight, it didn't have the mystery that Twilight had and in New Moon, well, that one was the book I found the most anticlimactic. There wasn't anything much. Eclipse had action more than the sense of mystery and even if we saw the fight from a mile away, we didn't know how it would go. We knew the beginning and end, but not the meat or middle of the actual fight, which was the most exciting and suspenseful.

...Why should I?

3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 am
I thought it was kind of boring and predictable.

Edward/Bella/Jacob were all pissing me off in this book.

I only started getting into the book towards the end.

Scapula

Wheezing Lunatic

11,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Threadmaster 200

basca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:30 pm
cuppy!cake

I agree with you 100%!
It was quite predictable. Love triangle and a fight scene.
& for some reason I couldnt really get *into* the book, I actually skipped the whole part about the 3 wives confused

=(

I had to skip that part as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:17 pm
I have to actually agree with most of that...the whole Victoria business, I thought there'd be more to it, not just silly little revenge, something on a far bigger scale. It was so predictable that I kept overguessing. In my opinion, Eclipse was the worse of the three. It was too...different. I don't know. There was a lot more focus of Bella's feelings, as well.

@Taru-chan --Again-- This is kinda unrelated, but I have to say this...the sixth book of Harry Potter was extremely good. If I had to say, the 5th book was most dissapointing, with all the teenage angst. True, the 6th was a stepping stone for the 7th- but it was an INTERESTING stone. A good author can make parts of the story well-written enough that it gradually leads up the the climax, not just shout 'awkward'.

Evil Genius Koji

Accidental Affinity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 pm
Taru-chan --Again--

...Why should I?

Thank you. I agree 100%

I liked Eclipse MUCH better than New Moon, even if it was a bit predictable. Predictable =/= bad. I'm re-reading it already, which is more than I can say for New Moon.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:07 pm
xxgaaraloverxx
you do know there is a fourm for this and your sopposed to use that

When I posted this topic there was no Eclipse forum, thank you very much.  

tokii pop

tokii pop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:11 pm
*forgot to check up on this thread*

I guess in some ways it is necessary to flesh out the characters a bit more (and I forgot what else I was goign to say) but thanks for all the opinions guys. It's interesting to hear what everyone has to say whee

Edit; Remembered now.
The Three wives stuff was pretty interesting, kinda gives La Push that more Indian reservation feel rather than 'just some section of town where Jacob lives'.

I laughed pretty hard when Quil imprinted though. (my friends went EW! but I thought it was kinda funny :/ )

Eclipse

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff