100%  [ 139 ]
Total Votes : 139

Witchiepoo0

9,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:47 pm
I'm going through gaia and see this girl with a sig of the new optimus prime. I sit there and have to smile because I remember the original optimus prime and how my younger brother just loved the transformer action figures........So old sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm
We've all been there. sad If I had a dime every time someone has said "your old lol" after telling my age, I'd never have to work again.  

Naito

Isbjorn

6,000 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:37 pm
Naito
We've all been there. sad If I had a dime every time someone has said "your old lol" after telling my age, I'd never have to work again.

Just start charging them gold every time they say that! hehehe  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:46 am
lev_21n01
Naito

Just start charging them gold every time they say that! hehehe

I am so tempted to try that.  

Naito

purplewiz

Mega Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:14 pm
My general response to the "you're so OLD" comment is "yeah, and?". Most times if it's no big deal to me, it's no big deal to them.

As for feeling old, when the Transformers first came out, I was a bit too old for them...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:53 pm
One of my students just found out that I am on Gaia and all summer while she was away in England messaged me, or played rally with me, or posted on my profile. I didn't mind and in fact, really didn't think a bit about it. UNTIL, this past Thursday, during open house night at school her parents came up to me and said "Emma says that she kept in touch with you during summer on Gaia, we were quite shocked at first since Gaia is a child's site... aren't you a bit old to be playing there?" Immediately, my ***** radar was going off. wahmbulance OMG, I hope they don't think I'm stalking their child is what came to mind. So, I quickly grabbed the Vice Principal who knew I had a Gaia account since 2004 and asked her to reassure these parents that not only did the school know of my account but that the site was not like NeoPets but a larger community with older teens and adult. The parents did not realize this and apologized. I was of course now feeling rather old for being on Gaia and bit embarassed. I love Gaia but there are days when there are just too many wee ones onboard and I feel like the oldest living Gaia online. redface  

Lucky Hoku

Noriqueen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:32 pm
Hey Whippersnappers! I'm probably older than all of ya! lol.
Yes, there are days when gaia makes me feel very old, and I remember when Transformers first came out, my SONS went crazy for them! I also remember when my SONS went crazy for the first Ninja Turtle toys too!
I totally identify with the ***** suspisions. People have given me some really strange looks, and I have had some insinuations on gaia about it. However, it couldn't be further from the truth. I love gaia! I may be old on the outside, but I'm young on the inside. My kids introduced me to gaia, and once I got into it, I became like a Mom/councelor on here. I care about the kids I meet on here. Many of them need someone they can really talk to about ANYTHING. Gaia is none threatening, and hopefully, I am able to make a difference in some young peoples lives. I have met some of my gaia friends in real life, and ALWAYS it is in a none threatening environment, and I always have my own kids and a bunch of their friends with me. I wish that people would realize that gaia is a great place for all ages, and that the risks are minimal. Unfortunately, they do still exist, and precautions need to be taken. ***** are everywhere. I only wish that when they were caught, they would perform a lobotomy on them or something, instead of half the time, just giving them a slap on the wrist and releasing them to commit more crimes!
Gaia rocks. For some it may be music. For others it may be rocking chairs! rofl
Thankyou, thankyou all for listening to me preach!
*Climbs off soapbox, picks it up, and exits*  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:16 pm
I don't worry about the ***** thing ... I just don't associate with too many kids on here.

I guess the main problem I have with people being worried about others (me, you and all the other adults) on Gaia is that they have no idea that it's all about socializing. Obviously those people are uninformed and most of the time even when informed have negative opinions.

I find it rather interesting when people look at me, the town's newspaper editor, and find it interesting that I'm a gamer. They would expect me to be into something civilized like football!

It really is all about perceptions.

Rastinon

dreamerice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:53 am
heart  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:55 am
mAOri waHIne
One of my students just found out that I am on Gaia and all summer while she was away in England messaged me, or played rally with me, or posted on my profile. I didn't mind and in fact, really didn't think a bit about it. UNTIL, this past Thursday, during open house night at school her parents came up to me and said "Emma says that she kept in touch with you during summer on Gaia, we were quite shocked at first since Gaia is a child's site... aren't you a bit old to be playing there?" Immediately, my ***** radar was going off. wahmbulance OMG, I hope they don't think I'm stalking their child is what came to mind. So, I quickly grabbed the Vice Principal who knew I had a Gaia account since 2004 and asked her to reassure these parents that not only did the school know of my account but that the site was not like NeoPets but a larger community with older teens and adult. The parents did not realize this and apologized. I was of course now feeling rather old for being on Gaia and bit embarassed. I love Gaia but there are days when there are just too many wee ones onboard and I feel like the oldest living Gaia online. redface

oh, don't feel that way. gaia's fun.  

lovebooks

purplewiz

Mega Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:57 am
I'm with Rastinon - most of the people I socialize with here are 21 and over. Most of the younger folks I talk to are my friends' kids and their friends. If it weren't for the sizeable and interesting older folks community here, I probably wouldn't have stayed.

It doesn't seem strange to me because I have a number of hobbies that span generations - at the local doll group meetups, we have people from about 13 (who come with their parents!) to well over 65. And we all enjoy our dolls and we all talk about them and it's just a good time.

When I'm asked what I'm doing here, I always say something like "having fun". Because I am. It annoys me when people insinuate that I should have other interests because I've past a certain age - I was on the internet long before most of these children were born, and I see no reason to stop now.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:05 pm
purplewiz
I'm with Rastinon - most of the people I socialize with here are 21 and over. Most of the younger folks I talk to are my friends' kids and their friends. If it weren't for the sizeable and interesting older folks community here, I probably wouldn't have stayed.

It doesn't seem strange to me because I have a number of hobbies that span generations - at the local doll group meetups, we have people from about 13 (who come with their parents!) to well over 65. And we all enjoy our dolls and we all talk about them and it's just a good time.

When I'm asked what I'm doing here, I always say something like "having fun". Because I am. It annoys me when people insinuate that I should have other interests because I've past a certain age - I was on the internet long before most of these children were born, and I see no reason to stop now.

Good for you Purplewiz! At 48, I just found out I'm gonna be a GRANDMA! When my grandchild's old enough, I'll introduce him/her to gaia! blaugh I hate the steriotypes that people put on us because of our age. I go to any anime convention that I can go to, and I love the rave dances, and stay from beginning to end. I am well accepted, and I love it. I think it helps to keep you young! 3nodding xd Stay young. Don't grow old, coz that sucks! I refuse to EVER become an old fart!  

Noriqueen

Gaol

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:15 am
I'm 24. And I usually don't feel all that old being here. Then again, I've been through a lot of online games and communities over the years. So I'm pretty much used to dealing with people of all ages.

for me, it's not feeling old that's a problem. It's when you realize the half insane, immature, flame-crazy troll you're dealing with is much older than you that things get worrying. confused  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 am
The 18+ thread is my hidey hole. I rarely venture out of it.  

Azure Alex

Tessiebean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 am
They've been bringing the 80's back for awhile now...can't ignore the classics.

I just find it strange that my two daughters play w/ Strawberry Shortcake like how I used to when they first came out w/ them sweatdrop whee

It's rare to find people in their mid to late 20's, nevermind 30's and beyond.

But I'm always happy when I do 4laugh  
The GAIA Complaints Dept

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces