Untitled - not slash

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 am
I am so bad at thinking up story titles that this one has none. Sorry. A Ronon- centered story. Not slash. I'm posting it as a post rather than a link to another page because this isn't anywhere else!

Well, read and tell me what you think.

Ronon had not liked McKay. At all. The man was loud, irritating, completely useless in battle, and to top it all off, it was impossible to understand anything that came out of his mouth. McKay was someone to laugh at, simply put. An annoyance to bear, necessary because the guy could just wave a finger and Atlantis would follow, but still something you tolerated. Barely.

That had changed a few months after his arrival. Ronon had been bored -happens a lot- and been wandering through Atlantis' halls. He had ended up in McKay's labs. As always, McKay had gotten irritated at him standing there, and had puffed up like a bird defending his territory. He had waved his arms about, yelled, snapped peevish orders, anything he could do to get Ronon to stop mucking up his experiments.

Hilarious to watch.

Eventually, McKay shoved a piece of paper towards the patch of amused silence that was Ronon; “Here! Take this and go!”

Ronon looked down at the paper. It had a word on it. “To who?”

“What?”

“Who's it for?” Ronon asked again, shifting his weight.

McKay stared at him. The silence built up.

“What do you mean, whos it for?” McKay's voice had gone up a few octaves. “It says 'Beckett' in it, pure and simple, can't you -” He stopped.

Ronon raised an eyebrow. “No, I can't read your language.”

“The Satedan alphabet is different.” Not 'was', he thought. It still is.

McKay dropped his gesticulating arm and looked at him.

Ronon was bored already. The few people who knew this had treated him with perfectly polite pity. 'Oh, he can't read, the poor blah, blah, blah'. All the same.

McKay cocked his head to the side. “What's it look like?”

“Huh?” Ronon was, for once, confused.

McKay waved a hand. “The Staedan alphabet, what's it look like?”

“Uh? Oh.........” Ronon stopped, thought, and looked around for a pen. “This.” He wrote down a word.
McKay stepped up beside him and took the letter out of his hands. “That was something very important for Beckett. Use this.” A blank sheet of paper was shoved into his hands.

Ronon dutifully wrote again.

“What's it mean?”

“Atlantis.”

“Yeah? Write 'McKay'.”

Ronon raised an eyebrow. “Just do it!”

So he had. He had ended up writing the whole alphabet down for McKay, with corresponding sounds. The scientist had spent the entire time leaning over his shoulder and shooing away his assistants - “Yes, yes, yes, I'll get to it in a second, can't you see I'm busy!”

Ronon considered it an hour unexpectantly pleasantly spent, and thought no more of it.

Elizabeth approached him a day later and asked him for a copy of the alphabet. When he looked at her, she shrugged and smiled. “Rodney won't be parted from his. And I'd like to learn it. I think it'd be useful to know as many languages native to the Pegasus galaxy as possible, don't you?”

Whatever. He wrote it down. Then he went to find McKay.

He was in the labs. Sheppard was nonchalantly leaning against a table. The man did everything nonchalantly. McKay was busy arguing with Zelenka.

Sheppard raised his head at Ronon's approach. “Hey, buddy. You know you really sent Rodney into a tailspin there.”

It was hard to hear Sheppard over McKay's voice, but Ronon heard enough to be puzzled. “Tailspin?”

Sheppard nodded, straightened with a smile on his face. “Yeah. Apparently that alphabet of yours has some mathematical significance.” He shrugged, and indicated McKay.

Ronon turned to look. Both scientists were gesturing at each other.

“ - similar to the symbols on the gate, and in the database, and -”

“- only to you, Rodney, and Elizabeth, we have no evidence that the Ancients ever -”

“Its right here! They all follow the same principles! The can match up the two, and decode the last!”

“Do you have any idea how long that'll take?”

“Yes, yes, better than you! Elizabeth can -”

“She's running the city! The computers can -”

Ronon turned to Sheppard. “And?”

Sheppard shook his head and shrugged. “Rodney says the Satedan alphabet closely resembles an alphabet some of the database is written in. He thinks they might be different dialects of the same language, or something. Eliabeth agrees. They couldn't translate it 'till Rodney figured out the resemblance. They're tring to figure out how to translate it.”

The man clapped Ronon on the back. “Could be important, you know. There might be unexpected treasure in there!”

Ronon looked at him.

Sheppard looked back. “In the database, I mean. Useful stuff.”

Rodney turned his head excitedly. “It's our very own Rosetta stone!”

Sheppard caught Ronon's blank look. “Never mind.”

That was the start of it. McKay had done something interesting. Oh, he was still loud, brash, and very irritating, but he was interesting.

And now they were friends. It was unexpected.

Hmm. Thats shorter than I realised - its four and a bit A4 pages when written out! Well? What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:23 pm
I like it! I can hear the characters speak the lines, and believe me when I say that's a phenomenally good sign. 3nodding  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Lt. Colonel Sam Carter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:22 am
i really like this...where's the rest?.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:44 pm
I liked it. I could picture it as happening on Atlantis.  

Tarica
Crew

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:01 am
Yay!

@Carter: Um.......no rest. Thats it. I know its short, sorry. I did mention that I can't get my fics to go over ten pages! (That story was four handwritten pages long.)  
Fanfiction

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games