Atlantis moral debate Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:15 am
So, in Atlantis season one, the team manages to capture a Wraith. Two actually. Shepard names them Steve and Bob.

Heres what happens to them: Steve is experimented on by the Hoffans and the humans in "Poisoning the Well"; they were trying to create a drug that would stop the Wraith from feeding on people. Steve died as a result.

Bob was shot dead by Sheppard in.......urm, The Gift", I think, in an effort to get information out of him.

Both of these entirely goes against the Geneva convention, which consist of four treaties formulated in Geneva, Switzerland, that set the standards for international law for humanitarian concerns. The Third Geneva convention basically says that prisoners of war are protected and cannot be harmed until their "final repatriation."

So, was what Sheppard and the Hoffans/humans did to the Wraith right or wrong? Was it justified? Can the Geneva convention only apply in certain situations, or should it be ignored when dealing with unknown threats? (like life-sucking aliens?) Should they have gotten into trouble over it? Can human law govern inter-planetary disputes? Can human law only govern over situations that were expected when the law was written, and therefore can't apply to situations like, for instance, fighting aliens?

What do you think? And serious discussion, people, ok?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:36 pm
eek Um...give me a minute to sort my thoughts out...

Well, there's always Sheppard's remark about the Wraith and the Geneva Convention: "They'd have tried to feed on everybody."

I understand why Steve died: The vaccine had to be tested in order to protect the Hoffans from mass genocide. Why Bob died is beyond me. I still don't know why he was shot.

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 am
Teyla was connected with his mind, trying to get information out of him, but he fought back, or struck at her mentally. Anyway, she cried out in pain, and Sheppard shot Bob to get him to stop attacking her. And....well, he just didn't stop. He probably was a bit stressed, what with the three Wraith hive ships on their way.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:43 pm
I thought the Wraith had stopped mentally attacking Teyla by then.  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:51 pm
Well, he was attacking her when Sheppard shot him first, but yes, he had definitely stopped when Sheppard shot him to death.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:35 pm
That was too much. He was already a prisoner.  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:43 am
Yeah, but on the other hand, he could have communicated telepathically with the other Wraith who were attacking the city, and pass them info. Would they have had to kill him anyway?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:22 am
Not if they kept him isolated.  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:59 am
In a room, by himself? That wouldn't have stopped telepathic communication.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:56 pm
No, but it would've left him with nothing to say, if you get my drift.  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:16 am
I suppose. He could have told them about the humans state-of-mind, I guess, but yeah, nothing else.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:48 pm
He may even have been a valuable prisoner. Dang...  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:09 am
Until Sheppard loses his thread and shoots him. Yep.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:21 pm
Not that he didn't deserve to be shot, though. He could've killed Teyla if he wanted.  

kittyfox_kumiko
Vice Captain

Friendly Elocutionist

Sayuri-Ryuu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:39 am
Or left her a mindless drone. Which is worse.  
season 1 sg-1/atlantis

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff