Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply RP Retreat
"Pern" / Dragon Riders of Pern RP? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragonriders must fly when Thread is in the sky... (a Pern RP?)
  Clear skies and fair weather (yes)
  Wherry Teeth! (no)
  I'm here for the Gather (poll whore answer)
View Results

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:58 pm
Ha, yes this is my second topic today... cruse the little muse dancing on my brain when I need to get School work done.

Anyway, back to the point.
Would anyone here be interested in a Pern or Dragon Riders of Pern Based RP?

maybe 7th or 11th Pass... as I would like to see what characters people come up with, without using the Cannon characters, like Lessa and F'lar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 pm
Hurr... No Dragon Riders of Pern Fans in here at all?  

Flaconscale

No Longer Around022584

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:15 pm
Sorry, but I don't know what they are about. Mind explaining?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:27 pm
The Dragon Riders of Pern Novels are a series written by Anne Mc Caffery.
Set on another world that is similar to earth called Pern (Parallel Earth Resources Negotiable as it was labeled in the original planet survey). DRoP is about people surviving Pern in away, as every 200 years there is a 25 year period (note in Pern a Year is called a Turn) in which Thread falls.

Thread is an Organic life form that comes from a star (known as the Red star) with an erratic orbit. When Thread reaches Pern it begins to devour things, trees, animals and so on. It can only be stopped by rock and metal as it cannot piece them. It can be drowned and it can be burned.

In order to protect the people of Pern the ancients (or original settlers) genetically modified local wildlife (firelizards) into Dragons (named so because of the Terran myths they resembled). Dragons and their riders become one of Pern's main defenses against Thread.

Of course the series is far more in depth than that... and there are a great many other people on Pern. Such as Smiths, Healers and Dolphineers (people who train dolphins, which are also known as shipfish).

A Wiki

Flaconscale

BadLuckShuichi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:38 am
I never knew it was a book series. o.o I picked up the PC game at a garage sale though (didn't get real far in it though; I'm so bad at games).  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:02 am
It was a Series first ^^ BadLuckShuichi and well worth the read in my opinion, (then again though I'm a Fan).

The game was originally released about 9 months before the 16th book, 'Skies of Pern'. The game is entertaining me at the moment, as I managed to track a copy down... it keeps freezing every so often...
That's when I'm not having a major fail moment at the quests... ><

It’s pretty close to some of the ideals in the books... like with the virus... which occurred in the seventh book 'Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern'. The game gets bonus points because it makes reference to this ^^. The game shares common points with the first book 'Dragonflight' too as it involves a quest to find a new Queen rider as the current Queen is dying. (Some might draw parallels between F'lar [Main character in the opening novels] and D'kor [the character you play as in the game] ). It also makes reference to the ancients, more points and to Benden wine *chuckles* apparently the best wine in Pern ^^. D’kor is pretty awesome in his own respects… being that noble and loyal at the end of a pass would have been a right pain in the neck.

The game loses points though, mainly for straying from canon with the introduction of a White firelizard and for slipping in and out of using Pernese terminology... They say money at one point and yet they call it marks when you get some ... (Marks is the correct term for money on Pern).

Major points are lost because the only time you use Zenth in the games it’s all cut scenes and you never get to fight thread scream Thread is the whole point! In the words of F'lar I think it was, there is no better feeling then being on the back of a firebreathing dragon.

Then again... maybe I'm just a freak for noticing that sweatdrop whee

Flaconscale

elfinfey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:04 am
I love that series, but I am no where good enough to be able to RP any part of it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:53 am
By the First Egg! I'll join in a heartbeat! I used to do Pern RPs all the time! Then all the websites shut down. *mourns*

Would this be completely canonical, or will we be creating new colors or policies? (women on fighting dragons other than greens, etc.)  

Ifailedmywillsave

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:01 pm
Nonsense elfinfey If you try you should be fine ^^, we’re all happy to take you on ^^

Well met dragonrider, Ifailedmywillsave (I'save?) , As for Canon I’m happy to bend it a bit.., I don’t mind females on other fighting dragons for a bit of fun ^^. After all Females on Greens on happened briefly in the series; however, new colours I’m a bit unsure of… one or two might be ok but we hardly need a Pern crawling with whites and the like… as I’m assuming other colours may have this same problems as white’s like Ruth. Ie, being smaller and less likely to mature…

As for other Pern sites I have one if you’re interested ^^ set in the 11 th pass… the plan to eradicate Thread failed in our version of Pern….

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:44 am
No one else?  

Flaconscale

Maze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 am
Never read the series, I'm afraid. I did find one reference to the series in either Myth or a game like it, where there's a woman rambling on about dragons, named Anne something, I think, but that's about the extent of my exposure. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:12 am
lol, interetsting ref

I'm not surre if Anne McCaffrey would be pleased or confused at such a ref...

Flaconscale

Maze

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:21 am
If someone put me in a game like that, I'd probably consider it cool, hehe. If nothing else, it proves people read it, after all. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:28 am
Lol, good point^^  

Flaconscale

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:43 am
*extends a hand cheerfully* Ifa, if you please. That's what everyone tends to call me. Less work on everyone's behalf. I wasn't very serious about the extra colors. Just checking how dedicated we were going. ^_^ Now, you'll have to forgive me... I can never keep all the Passes straight... Which books are contained in the 7th?  
RP Retreat

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff