I've had two degus dropped in my lap... literally. Now, I've only had them for an hour or two and they're in a very small cage. When we got them, they had alphalpha bedding, and cubes, and were eating guinea pig food. I changed the bedding and put in cedar and I'm iffy about the guinea pig food. My sister has two degus. So I gave her a call and she said: No pine bedding, no alphalpha, no guinea pig food. ONLY degu food, cedar bedding, and sunflower drops. I just went on a website and it said alphalpha was okay but now I'm confused.
Bear in mind I DID NOT take these creatures irresponsibly. The people who were caring for them had them in appauling conditions and it was disgusting. My boyfriend payed the guy $20 to take them and the cage looks better already in the 5 minutes it took me to change the litter. I want to learn more about them because no one else can take them and I'm falling in love with them. Both are males, by the way. Since today is thanksgiving, no one's open. I will be getting these little guys degu food and a bigger cage tomorrow. First thing in the morning. I just need to know what is okay for them and what isn't.