Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Across the Universe

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Across_the_Universe_064

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:45 am
i bet you think i'm obsessed don't you? but i can't help it! i love the beatles AND this movie! please tell me what you thought of it!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:27 pm
I Loved It!  

The Trickster Serval

Romantic Sex Symbol

7,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:48 pm
I was hoping there would never be an Across the Universe thread in this guild. I've seen probably a million threads on Across the Universe, and in everyone there are many posts calling it "teh best movie eva", and less so calling it "absolute s**t". So, rather than me type something new for the millionth time, I'll just copy one of my previous posts, and elaborate.

So, for the millionth time I will say that this movie is not "absolute s**t", but it is not "teh best movie eva". It's just... so so. I was hoping for a musical like "The Sound of Music"; that it would make a political statement and be entertaining. But what I got was overwrought, over-metaphorical Beatles hocus-pocus. The acting was terrible (though Jim Sturgess was a little bit better than the rest of the cast.), the covers, for the most part, are just bad. So they'll take a million liberties on "Being for the Benefit of Mr.Kite" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (which, by the way, is the most genius cover in the movie) but will leave "Hey Jude" and "Across the Universe" exactly how they were? Please, if you're going to make a movie with Beatles music, please attempt to throw some creativity into all songs, not just a select few.

I already mentioned that "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the best cover, so I'll have to mention that the "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" scene was the best visually and metaphorically. It worked on all levels. Now if only the rest of the movie was like that. Though the movie was not a comedy, and didn't try to be, I found myself laughing at the most inappropriate of moments. Bono's cover of "I Am the Walrus", for example. Actually, I laughed the hardest just after Sturgess' "Revolution" cover. Just after Sturgess is thrown out of the building, Evan Rachel Wood comes out, crying, and says "Why would you do that?" and walks right back inside. She says nothing more, nothing less. No elaboration, just a simple "Why would you do that?" and she walks away. I think it had to do with Wood's overacting and the awful editing of the scene. But, either way, it was just so abrupt and unneeded that I couldn't help but laugh.

Also, one more thing. You'll all probably kill me for saying this, but here it goes. The movie would have been better without any of The Beatles music.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:02 pm
I still haven't seen it (even though I'm a huge Beatles fan gonk ). It's on my Netflix queue, there are just so many other movies I want to see first sweatdrop

I've heard some of the music and I love it heart The cover of Blackbird by the girl is just to die for whee  

Ellitheria

Ariedale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:05 pm
You know what, i haven't seen it yet i would like to though, but not yet.  
T3h Movie World

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games