Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abortion?
  Yes
  No
View Results

JeremyTheNerd

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:51 pm
I, for one, am against abortion.

I think all babies should be born.

What are your opinons on it?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:20 pm
I think that, in most situations, women should bear their children (as opposed to using abortion as birth control). In an ideal society, these women wouwld be able to raise their children and also attend school and have a fufilling career, or make sure that their child finds a loving home. In an ideal society, women wouldn't be raped by their cousins or uncles or fathers or brothers, and wouldn't be forced to have a child whose conception was incest.

I come from an area where adoption rates are low, and Children's Services is frankly ridiculous. I've met eight-year-olds who've tried to burn their brothers to death and I've met younger children afraid to speak because how they were treated in foster homes.

The fact of the matter is that adoption can take years, and often isn't good for the baby. And most teenage mothers can't handle the burden of raising a baby.

I'm pro-choice because this is not a black and white issue. There are too many exceptions to the rule for a feasible law against abortion to be written and passed. At this moment, the debate on when life begins is a matter of belief -- the "beginning of life" is not defined. I have nothing against people who keep their children and I have nothing against people who abort fetuses. It is the individual's right (or their parents, in many cases, if the individual is a minor) to decide. To CHOOSE.  

Paradoxotaur

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:42 am
I don't think they can choose for the baby

I 4 1 am highly against abortion. I am myself adopted and I wouldn't be here today if my mother (who was only 17 at the time) decided to have an abortion talk2hand  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 pm
I'm pro-abortion.If a woman wants to have an abortion, it's HER choice, not anyone else's.It doesn't matter if she's 12 or 40, rich or poor.It doesn't even matter if she was raped or not.The choice always has been, and always should be, the mothers.  

Omikami Amaterasu Jr

The Great DustBunny

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm
Is this including the babies that will be born without a heart or a brain and will at most live a horrible pain filled existence for a month? Or the situation where if the mother has the child it will kill her? Or it might kill both her and the baby? What if the mother will be kicked out of her house if she has the baby? At what point does it stop being a mass of cells and turn into a baby? At the point of fertilization? When it develops a beating heart? Just because it's heart is beating doesn't mean it's a baby or a person. The brain is what does that.

Anencephaly is where a baby has no forebrain, and are usually blind, deaf, unconscious, and unable to feel pain. Should a child like that be brought to full term and born? Take into account the psychological pain that this may bring to the mother, the father, and the doctors and nurses that will be involved in it's care.

And that's just one on a long list of things that can seriously be wrong with a baby and make it wrong to bring it into a world that it will only know pain and suffering, if even that.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:52 pm
Paradoxotaur
I think that, in most situations, women should bear their children (as opposed to using abortion as birth control). In an ideal society, these women wouwld be able to raise their children and also attend school and have a fufilling career, or make sure that their child finds a loving home. In an ideal society, women wouldn't be raped by their cousins or uncles or fathers or brothers, and wouldn't be forced to have a child whose conception was incest.

The fact of the matter is that adoption can take years, and often isn't good for the baby. And most teenage mothers can't handle the burden of raising a baby.

I'm pro-choice because this is not a black and white issue. There are too many exceptions to the rule for a feasible law against abortion to be written and passed. At this moment, the debate on when life begins is a matter of belief -- the "beginning of life" is not defined. I have nothing against people who keep their children and I have nothing against people who abort fetuses. It is the individual's right (or their parents, in many cases, if the individual is a minor) to decide. To CHOOSE.

I have to agree. i know three girls who've gotten pregnant (I'm a junior in high school. we have 400 students during a big year) one got an abortion, and is in the best shape of them. one kept her baby, and despite a supportive family, raising a baby at sixteen is terrible all around. the other delivered the baby, with a pre-arranged private adoption. I'm not sure waht the name for it is, but she's very depressed and not the same.  

AmiNayaki

dark_raez

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm
all i'm going to say is i'm pro-choice because i believe that the woman should always have the choice when it comes to something like that.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:17 am
I'm going to have to agree with Paradoxotaur and The Great DustBunny's posts there.  

Cynfael

xXSerial ExperimentXx

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 am
Firstly, I am HIGHLY against abortion when it was a stupid teenager that didn't think about the consequences of having sex. I know, as teenagers, their hormones are going nuts and some different paths might lead them to early sex but come on! If abortion is used as a form of "birth control" to stop horny teens from having babies I think that's disgusting. Do you kill someone because they are making your life in convenient? No. Then why kill a child because you wanted someone in your pants for an hour??

Rape cases I have more sympathy for. It's horrible that a woman should have to suffer because of what some guy did to her against her will, but I still don't agree with abortion. I know I can't force my belief onto her but I believe in letting the child die. The child isn't responsible for hurting you so why does it need to die.

Now I know there are other situations but I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. sweatdrop
I don't believe in killing a child for someone else’s mistake.

What I think we should be doing is trying to figure out a way to let the mother and baby live safe and happy lives, rather then argue about which one should be sacrificed for the other.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:18 pm
xXSerial ExperimentXx
Firstly, I am HIGHLY against abortion when it was a stupid teenager that didn't think about the consequences of having sex. I know, as teenagers, their hormones are going nuts and some different paths might lead them to early sex but come on! If abortion is used as a form of "birth control" to stop horny teens from having babies I think that's disgusting. Do you kill someone because they are making your life in convenient? No. Then why kill a child because you wanted someone in your pants for an hour??

Rape cases I have more sympathy for. It's horrible that a woman should have to suffer because of what some guy did to her against her will, but I still don't agree with abortion. I know I can't force my belief onto her but I don't believe in letting the child die. The child isn't responsible for hurting you so why does it need to die.

Now I know there are other situations but I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. sweatdrop
I don't believe in killing a child for someone else’s mistake.

What I think we should be doing is trying to figure out a way to let the mother and baby live safe and happy lives, rather then argue about which one should be sacrificed for the other.
biggrin

I agree. Unless the mother or baby is at risk of dying, or if either of them is at risk of being permanently injured/damaged, should abortion be an option.  

Musik des Mondes

Hygienic Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

Elisicle

Timid Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 pm
I am against abortion unless the pregnancy is life-threatening to the mother. Also, if the baby would have problems or disorders that would just cause them pain however long their life would be is the other reason I would say it's ok.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:43 pm
Elithae
I am against abortion unless the pregnancy is life-threatening to the mother. Also, if the baby would have problems or disorders that would just cause them pain however long their life would be is the other reason I would say it's ok.

exactly.  

Musik des Mondes

Hygienic Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

Inuyasha_Chaos_Bringer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:53 pm
I am also HIGHLY against abortion.
I, like Ophelianime, would not be here if my mom had decided to have an abortion(she was just about to turn 19 when I was born.)
But I am a considerate person. If the mother was raped and doesn't think she could raise the child, but can't stand the thought of another person raising her child it is a possibility.
The only other time I think abortion should be an option is, like many others have said, the baby or the mother is at risk of death, or in the case of the baby a completely impossible life as The Great Dustbunny point out with Anencephaly.
I completely disagree with using abortion as birth control. That's just as bad as murder. If you don't want the child, don't do the deed.
That is all I have to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:27 pm
In my personal opinion, I believe that abortion should not be illegal. I could never go though with something like that, nor do I believe it should be a form of birth control, but I think that all women should have the choice. I believe that adoption would be a better path, but there are circumstances that call for abortion. I don't look down apon those who don't see it my way, after all, we are all entilted to our own opinon.  

Aikoginshika

monkeyman2552

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm
In most situations i a against abortion, but there are certain exceptions. I'm only going to give one example is if a women is impregnated by rape which is very possible, i believe the women should be able to chose to have an abortion in that case because even if she does choose to give the child up for adoption that child's existence would be a reminder to that women of what happened to her  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff