Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Final Exams Coming Up Soon. Need Advice.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CherryRooler

Fluffy Bunny

29,800 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:27 pm
Damnit! I wrote everything and submitted it and then it didn't process because Gaia logged me out for "inactivity" so I have to rewrite everything now. scream scream scream

Okay now that that's off my chest, let me talk about what I really need help with. I'm in grade 10 and I'm in the second highest math class (436) and the lowest history class.

I haven't been doing too well in math this year. We learned things like factoring, trigonometry, parabolas, statistics, cartesian planes and just a whole bunch of stuff. The majority of the work involves algebra. I'm pretty good at answering straight forward questions but then when it comes to problem solving, I suck. My three term marks this year for math have been in the low 70's. My term three mark would have been a 61 but he boosted it up to a 70 as long as I do good for the fourth term (which I am. I haven't failed one test so far whereas I failed quite a few tests in the past three terms). So we started reviewing about two weeks ago and our teacher gave us a package that has five grade 10 math exams from previous years. I started doing them but I couldn't answer the majority of the questions. I thought that maybe I just forgot the formulas so I got my notes but it still doesn't help. I asked my teacher to help me with them and he does it so easily and then when I try it, it's so hard! I don't want to have to rely on him for every single question. So now I'm scared because I have a feeling I'm going to fail the final math exam. What happens when you fail the exam is you go and do the 426 (one level lower than 436) math exam. But I have a friend who is in 426 math and she tells me that she does the EXACT same things we do (and incase you're wondering, no she isn't lying because I've seen her work and her tests and everything and it is the same. She's even helped me with some questions in the past). So then I'm worried that if it's the exact same work that I might fail the 426 math exam as well. Then I don't know what happens but I'm really worried that I might have to repeat grade 10 and my teacher told us that it's going to be a completely different program next year so I'm scared that I might continue failing and failing until I give up and drop out and ending living on the streets like a bum (okay, maybe that's an exageration but I'll probably end up living with my parents or with a friend and I really don't want to. I want to live on my own).

Now for history (yes, I still have problems X_X)... All I really need to do is study and review for the final history exam. However, I'm really bad at remembering names and dates and years (no seriously I am. I can't even remember the exact date of my mom's birthday! I know it's around the end of July though...). My teacher told us to make a chart and a timeline to help us but I'm worried that it won't be enough and that I'll mix up dates or just completely forget something. So if you know of another method, please tell me.

Alright well those are my two main concerns. So do you think I'm just overreacting or am I really in big trouble? Is there anything that can help me? Anything that I can eat that can help keep my mind sharp (like certain fruits or something)? ANYTHING?!

Thanks for reading. I know it's long but I wanted to make sure I was clear.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:22 pm
Well, for one thing, you wont have to repeat the 10th grade. haha, you would only have to repeat it if you grade point average (average for all classes) wasn't passing. Generally you only need three credits of math in order to graduate high school so nothing to worry about there. On top of that, its perfectly acceptable that you are struggling I did the same work as you in the 11th grade. Anyways...you don't have to worry about continuing to fail because unless you teacher and parents are blind, they will set you up with a tutor who will help you out. As for going back in the math class, I have never heard of that. If worse comes to worse you will just have to repeat the class you are in so no worries.

As for history, I find actual dates are not needed, unless you history teacher gives you a time line on the test to fill out. If this is the case you have your study time line which you can make up an anagram to help you remember the events in order. Otherwise just understanding the time periods at which events happen is all you need.  

xxtaintedlips

contagious voice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:48 pm
i would just tell you to not freak out over your finals , there like quiz's , just calm down , study and think good about . things always go wrong when people panic
about your history, your teacher is right ,just look over your notes and make a chart
and double check the dates
im in grade 10 too and my finals are next week , but i live in Canada , so we don't have the 436 or 426 , we just have 3 levels of classes.i learned just to stay calm when faced with a hard challenge and do the best you can do  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:10 pm
I guess what I would think is most important is, don't stress smile . If you are terrified of failing, you won't be able to concentrate, so you are more likely to fail. Try and imagine yourself getting a good mark on your papers.

Of course, you still do need to know things for these exams. Have you spoken to your parents about how worried you are? They can probably get you a tutor, or even may be able to help you out with this themselves. Also, if you have older friends or siblings who have already done similar things and did well, you can always ask them for a bit of a helping hand. You can probably find someone who can go over some things with you.

You said you spoke to your teacher. That's also an excellent plan. Most teachers are fairly experienced with what they are doing and so can help you out. If the way that they explain something doesn't make sense, you can always speak to a different member of the faculty. Sometimes having something explained differently makes all the difference.  

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100

Chefeetaboopers

8,325 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:31 pm
Try your best and give it your all. If you tried, that's all that should matter!  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games