Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
How do I break it to them?(coming out advice)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nana Hachi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am
I think I might be a bisexual, I know that true bisexuals are rare and that most teenagers claim to be bi so they can experiment with out being jugged but I think that I might really be. I would just like some advice as to how I can go about telling my mom and sister. I know my mom wouldn't have an issue with it, she's very open minded and I know my sister won't either it'd just be surprising to them because I have been fighting my feeling for a while and not showing that I might also like girls. I also will, eventually, have to tell my father, he's very homophobic so I don't know how he'd react. So, I need some advice/help on how to tell my family.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:17 pm
The only thing I can tell you is to be brave. If your mom and sister won't mind, then I would just tell them. But with your dad, I think the best thing to do is tell him, but I would have someone there with me. Like your mom or sister who already knows. I believe that it would help you out a lot. And don't worry. I am sure no matter what your parents think, they will still love you for who you are. You just have to be brave. 3nodding

kittycatsesshomaru

Ashiyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 pm
you can only be who you really are and if you feel like you are bisexual, then you probably are. just be up front about it, i'd probably joke about it a little.. or subtly bring it up. my mom found out i was bisexual when she was looking for something in my files (oi!) when i was sixteen or so. it was a survey.. it had a sexuality question, i said bi. i've always felt attracted to women, hell, i have a boyfriend now, but i'd consider myself a lesbian if it wasn't for him. it's rare to find a guy i like.

anyway. it may be hard, but at least, if they get a little bothered by it, they can still be like "well maybe you'll end up straight!" lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:29 pm
If your Mother and sister are so open minded as you say they are, why not tell them? You may feel somewhat anxious about it at first but when it is done it will be liberating. To crop it up will only make you feel worse about the situation. With your dad... Try to talk to him about homosexuality and see if you can lighten his opinion at first. Your mother will most likely be glad to assist you at this when she knows. Eventually you will have to tell it to them all.

It may also be best to not be alone with another girl in your room with a locked door for sometime after you have told it. It will make them feel more lightly about it as it is overall more accepted to be alone with someone of the same sex. Bisexuals are unfortunately often seen as hump rabbits. Just like parents would more often check upon their kids when they are alone with someone of the opposite sex as they are afraid that they may be having intercourse.  

Garynook

6,950 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

AgentShiny

Shirtless Lover

11,925 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:05 am
Haha, I'm Bi. 19 and I know I am. My mom because she's homophobic rejected the idea when I first came out even though she suspected the whole time before I did come out. My dad is a homophobic but doesn't really care so long as it's "in-the-closet". They both accept me for who I am though. It took some time for the idea and everything to settle into my mom. In time, your dad might accept you but I would tell your family. They should be the ones to know the truth. Don't be afraid to tell those closest to you  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:17 pm
You can show them signs like bring a girl home and hold her hand and stuff like that, this way they will not be so suprized when you do tell them...  

shani26

Ojamagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:27 pm
Well if you think that you are really bisexual, then sit your parents down and tell them what you feel...

No one can tell you what you are besides yourself, I mean, they don't know what's going on inside of your head!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:25 pm
ok, the easiest thing to do is tell them all separatly. for example, one day, if you REALLY think you should tell them, go up to your sis and tell her. i'm not saying it's gotta be dramatic, but it's a lil scary.
then tell your mom privately. you might wanna set a more serious mood with her than your sister.

about telling your dad, they're always the hardest to break it to. honestly, i wouldn't. with some people, you gotta give them a bit more time before you think you both are ready for it.
anyways, good luck. i hope they all accept you! blaugh  

the_forgotten_thought

Loki god of BS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:33 pm
really there are more than you think. you just need to grid your theeth and do it. even if they dont like the idea they should still love you anyway and if dont the smartest thing for them to do is get help.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games