Do You Support the Beijing Olympics?
  Yes
  No
View Results

kakteed

Fashionable Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:55 pm
Since the Olympics are coming up...

I'm just going to say this: I think protests against the Beijing Olympics are ridiculous, if only for one reason. And that reason is that the Olympics were created to stop the fighting between nations and form associations, get trade going, etc., before going back to fighting.
I mean, gosh.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:35 pm
lol, before going back to fighting... lol

nice one  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:01 pm
I dont really understand them sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:56 am
I can see both sides of the argument to this, but I tend to agree with the protesters (but not how they're protesting)
Aparrently the people think that China's not stable enough to handle the Olympics quite yet.
I myself wouldn't want to be playing there if only becuase it's so polluted to point where it's making the athletes sick. sad

I agree that it's supposed to stop the fighting if only for a little bit, but both sides seem to be blowing this out of proportion.

Just my two cents 3nodding  

Komatiite

aytasi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:14 am
I was thinking the same thing kakteed, in the original olympics, people were supposed to put aside differences and just compete so I think the protests and such are ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 am
I don't think the protests will affect the Olympics at all.
The Chinese are very effective at squashing dissent of any kind.  

lazy bonz

Lostt Eviie

3,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:11 pm
First of all, I'm Chinese, so I think it's kind of natural that I defend the Beijing Olympics.

A lot of people are saying that the pollution sucks in China and I agree.

USA holds 5% of the world's population, yet uses a stunning 25% of the world's resources. China, holds 25% of the world's population yet doesn't even use 25% of the world's resources.

CHINA does something to reduce the amount of pollution it creates. What does America do? Raise the price for the flammable liquid called gasoline, so Yale alumni Bush who got a C can get rich. AND this sets off a chain reaction. EVERYTHING in the supermarkets go up, up, up and UP! Why? Because, of the oil they need to ship it. The carrier needs fuel and since it's expensive, they have to raise the price of the product... Especially corn. Corn... Dammit to those whoever found corn and started to eat it.

A lot of people think that the Olympics shouldn't be in Beijing. Well, deal with it you... It means a lot to Beijing. Just because it's freakin' Communist doesn't make a big deal out of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 am
wow well i just hope all of the athletes go to their homes without suffering from the pollution....war sucks and the olympics does sound like a cover up that there is world peace when there really isn't......  

2cool4u4

Lostt Eviie

3,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am
I woke up 8 AM to watch the opening ceremony live!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:32 pm
yep! waiting for the basketball part to come on tonight i think at 10:30  

Butterfingahs

3,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

l kari l

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:43 pm
im in beijing right now for the olympics & i must say that theyve done a really good job. the stadiums are amazing & the pollution isnt half that bad. i actually like it here a lot. the government went all out to put this together. the ppl that are protesting against it are mostly made up of uneducated, closed-minded ppl  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:46 pm
i support the Olympics in Beijing, they should be kept a symbol of peace
however, though the Chinese government has done a splendid job in hosting this event, their methods are questionable...i can see this issue from the protester's standpoint...still, i don't think the games should be cancelled/boycotted for this

Akatsukis Kari-Chan
im in beijing right now for the olympics & i must say that theyve done a really good job. the stadiums are amazing & the pollution isnt half that bad. i actually like it here a lot. the government went all out to put this together. the ppl that are protesting against it are mostly made up of uneducated, closed-minded ppl

i heard the gov't kicked people out of their homes to "clean up" the streets of Beijing for the Olympics...i certainly don't know all the details and i'm sure you don't either, please don't make assumptions based on lack of background knowledge

Mother Eve
First of all, I'm Chinese, so I think it's kind of natural that I defend the Beijing Olympics.

A lot of people are saying that the pollution sucks in China and I agree.

USA holds 5% of the world's population, yet uses a stunning 25% of the world's resources. China, holds 25% of the world's population yet doesn't even use 25% of the world's resources.

CHINA does something to reduce the amount of pollution it creates. What does America do? Raise the price for the flammable liquid called gasoline, so Yale alumni Bush who got a C can get rich. AND this sets off a chain reaction. EVERYTHING in the supermarkets go up, up, up and UP! Why? Because, of the oil they need to ship it. The carrier needs fuel and since it's expensive, they have to raise the price of the product... Especially corn. Corn... Dammit to those whoever found corn and started to eat it.

A lot of people think that the Olympics shouldn't be in Beijing. Well, deal with it you... It means a lot to Beijing. Just because it's freakin' Communist doesn't make a big deal out of it.

the top 2 most polluted cities in the world according to this article are located in China, no USA cities made it to the top 10

wow....gas is a bit off topic, the rising price of gasoline is a complex subject, it's not really a single decision, it's controlled by many factors...obviously this causes a chain reaction leading to worse situations and i definitely agree that it is not a good idea to make fuel from corn...bad bad idea...however this has little to do with pollution in america (if anything, rising gas=less people buying/using it)

and i don't think the whole deal is that China is communist, it's more the lengths the government is willing to go to and the lines they're willing to cross to set up this whole affair...

but as i said, i don't claim to be an expert in this area, though i do know that the situation is much more complex than most assume it to be  

zu-leika

Witty Phantom

9,650 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Millionaire 200

l Princess Sugar l

Desirable Lover

18,465 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Generous 100