Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
ugh musicals............. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MrSkelli

Dapper Gaian

3,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 pm
who here absouloutely hates musicals there are some that are so good you want to see them over and over again the there are most which completely drain your spirt,hope and will wo hear and see.such as high school musical that seems to be getting alot of hype but have you heard there sond if you listen not so closely you can here the same tune in each song.others are ok with the same tune as long as they use it sparsly.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:51 am
i hate musicals but the only musical i ever like was sweeny todd that was a good musical  

Shinigami Nightmare

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:55 pm
*enters advocate of musicals*
... could you maybe give some concrete examples of musicals that disappointed you and why they drained your spirit and hope?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:10 pm
I dunno... I thought Chicago was a very well done and modern musical that isn't boring or soul stealing... its quite ummm stimulating??... i cant think of a better word... or even know if that word expresses what i mean. Sweeney Todd was a good musical but I am sure any musical directed by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp would be a popular one to the public... even if it had the basis of these said "spirit" and "hope" draining musicals.  

Misfit_the

Rishon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:10 am
I must say that the only Musical that i ever like was, of course, Sweeny Todd. however i do in fact hate musicals, they competely drain the will to live out of my soul such as The Sound of Music the only reason that i will watch that when it come on tv is that there is things moveing that on screen, my mom won't let me turn the channel, and they're Nazis in it and nazis make me laugh.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 am
User Image

Johnny Depp starred in a musical called Cry Baby, I thought it was absolutely horrible.

But there are numerous musicals that are just wonderful - Chicago, Moulin Rouge, Across the Universe, Sweeny Todd, West Side Story, Rent and The Little Shop of Horrors to name a few.

User Image  

scromlette

8,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 pm
I really enjoy musicals, but there are definitely some that don't live up to what I want them to be. Some examples of those are Rent, Sweeny Todd (to an extent), and Hairspray. But others, like Cry Baby, Across the Universe, and Dreamgirls are really phenomenal. Not to mention almost every Disney musical ever created.

Rent was terrible because they used the same actors (and nixed a few great songs). Normally, orignal cast reprisal would be something great...but it was ten years since they played those characters on stage. That means that they were ten years older than they should have been on screen. I didn't care as much when a thirty-year-old Mark and Roger were struggling in Bohemian New York. They were too old to still be doing that crap, to be honest.

Sweeny Todd was a beautiful movie with excellent acting. It's not on my all-time worst list for movies, but the singing leaves much to be desired. Helenda Bonham Carter was an excellent actress for the part of Mrs. Lovett...but I wish that they had dubbed her singing. They had to slow down Worst Pies in London for her to sing off-key. Depp had a surprisingly good voice for many songs...but sometimes he went flat and it was painfully obvious. The best voices came from the unknowns in the parts of Joanna, Toby, and the romantic lead (whose character name escapes me).

Hairspray...I just don't like because I don't like the musical. It was flashy, it was loud, it was annoying. However, this movie showed that Zac Effron was a better actor than I thought he was. Unlike Rent and Sweeny Todd where I enjoy the Broadway productions...Hairspray just gets two thumbs down. Kind of like what I expect from Mamma Mia!... domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 pm
i never watch musicals
but my little sis does... a lot!  

devils_only_angel

2,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

PrayForUs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 am
Don't get me started. Sweeny Todd was great, but there's too much revolving around High School Musical and The American Mall or whatever the ******** it is. So no. Don't even get me started.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:04 am
Never a biug usical fan myself, there are a few good ones I like.... Into the Woods ( teh broadway Production starring Burnedette Peters.), Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Sweeny Todd ( althought you were right about the off key thing) Musicals... I pretty much have an overall good opinion on them ( then again, I haven't seen that many aside form tehones on my list, and the ones I have Been a techie for in Shcool. So, i really can't say much!) With the exception of high school musical, I liked both movies at first, but after seeing the sighns and the posters, and all the unesacary hype for a disney movie, not to mention that thanks to my 10 yr old sis, I have seen both movies around 14 times....each...seriously, I counted. I just can't stand it anymore. I am looking forward to seeing HSM3 but.....I also know that after I see it, more than likely will never hear the end of it. XD

ps: "I love saylorMars <3"? From Sailor Moon? I LOVE that show!!! ^_^  

aria2345

5,400 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Enabler 100

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 am
I love Into the Woods. It's one of my favorite musicals...and it's another Sondheim, like Sweeny Todd! I hope that it becomes a movie!

(And SaylorMars, like...the gaian username. xD She's my fiance) domokun  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:54 pm
I absolutly love musicals. They are wonderful and It is the Songs that tell the story. I liked all the ones named above and of coarse I do believe that the High School musical is way too hyped, Grease was much better. Evita was best movie ever. Not to mention the Barbra Streisand Musical's Beautiful. Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar, Hair, Avenue Q, just to name a few. All the Disney Musicals Oh my. How can you not like these???  

Lynssis

Dragon Mistress Kat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:01 am
I love musicals but when they get more attention then they deserve then I really hate they example high school musical it was good the first maybe the secound time around not the 100th.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:45 pm
I generally like musicals. The Sound of Music is really good and the songs are catchy. I also love Annie. I really hate High School music though. Also, the remake of Hairspray was horrible. I felt like the world was ending when I realized John Waters agreed to have his wonderful movie butchered and made into a musical. I didn't like Rent either.  

Blue Eyed Wallflower

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

monkey_bubbles_1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:21 pm
i for the most part like musicals.....i just dont like that they randomly burst into song and dance....its a little freaky......  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff