Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
The Golden Compass - A let down of EPIC proportions. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was Golden Compass a Good or Bad movie?
  Good
  Bad
  Haven't seen it, but want to.
  Haven't seen it, and no interest to do so.
View Results

scromlette

8,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am
User Image

I really had high hopes for this film. I loved the books (His Dark Material Series by Phillip Pullman.) and when I heard they were coming out with the movies I was elated!

Sadly that's where my happiness ended. Now I know most films must be changed and adapted for certain effects/time constraints/movie going enjoyment, but I feel like they massacred the original story. From the first five minutes to the last five minutes almost every aspect of the book was changed. To be honest, I'm surprised they even kept the characters names the same.

The book is meant to be somewhat dark (His DARK Materials, anyone?) but sadly the movie tries to be joyous, light hearted and upbeat in places where it is not supposed to be. Critical scenes where changed, deleted, moved and simply unexplained making the movie lose much of the effect it could have had.

This movie is purely a flub. I will post a bit more on the later tonight, but for now I must head back to work!

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am
You see, I disagree with you. I re-read the first book just before Golden Compass came out, and while there were a few things changed (mostly in what order the audience sees them in)...GC was remarkably faithful to the original source. True, it wasn't the best movie ever made...and it wasn't even the best book-to-movie ever made, but there was a sincere effort put forth in this movie which I enjoyed to see. I'm even glad that the end of this movie was a chapter-or-two before the end of the book, because it gives me hopes that they will move on with the trilogy despite poor box-office winnings. Besides, the true darkness in the trilogy doesn't come until the end of the first book...therefore the ending being left out of the movie would have negated the darkness for at least this adventure. wink domokun  

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

Lodemai Poison

3,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:49 pm
I agree with scromlette that it was nothing like I hoped. I wasn't expecting it to be great from the adverts but I thought it would at least mimic the feel of the original story. I didn't approve of the choice for Lyra and I thought it was too light hearted. However, it was a good overall film and if you haven't read the book, it's not bad.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:15 pm
Liked the books, but the movie was decent.  

MegumiIzutaki

valve80

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:39 pm
xp i agree mostly it did stay true to the book but i also agree that the movie took away most of the depth in the book that was ment for the older audiences i mean it tuched on it but they turned it in to a kids flick and if you look in to the hidden meanings in the book you can see it isn't realy ment for children like the movie made it out to be  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:49 pm
I absolutely loved His Dark Materials and was so excited to see this movie. It was such a let down. It started out great, but it was rushed. They are also trying to take out all of the controversial bits and pieces of the books to make a movie. With out the controversial parts of those books, you have no real story, so you don't really have anything to build a movie on. I wish they would just stop trying to make everyone happy by slicing up a great story to make a horrible film that will be well received by close-minded people...It's just a story. And a great one at that.  

Epiphany

Sangel123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm
I read all the His Dark Materials books and watched all the previews about 5 times each and then the movie was such a let down. the big battle scene didn't even last five minutes! I agree with valve with the whole kids vs adult movie thing. Also if you watch some of the previews it shows parts from the very end (which they cut) when the bridge is formed to the separate universe. I think it's sucks that those people put in all that effort just to have it cut at the end. Also the ending to the book has a better hook then everybody falling asleep in a hot air balloon after agreeing to find Lyra's dad.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 am
Epiphany
I absolutely loved His Dark Materials and was so excited to see this movie. It was such a let down. It started out great, but it was rushed. They are also trying to take out all of the controversial bits and pieces of the books to make a movie. With out the controversial parts of those books, you have no real story, so you don't really have anything to build a movie on. I wish they would just stop trying to make everyone happy by slicing up a great story to make a horrible film that will be well received by close-minded people...It's just a story. And a great one at that.
But there wasn't that much controversy in the first book. And I'd say that what was present in the movie still constitutes as iffy...I mean, the kid with the fish is still in there (though truthfully not the same boy as in the books), and there is still dark undercurrents in the first one alone. I would say give the movie another chance...and don't expect it to be worse than the books. wink Movies rarely live up to the original source. domokun  

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

xXInvisible LIEXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:57 pm
omg! ik this movie was soo bad! the books weer soo amazing i was so excited for the movie...but they let me down.
they took it aprat and rushed it along way to much and cut out very important information and the most important nd good parts of the book. I kno that they have to be changed and stuff to fit the movie but this was too much ...i dont think it was tru to the books at allll  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:00 pm
mayhap I need to read the books - lol

I thought the acting - in the adults - was poor

I thought the mood could have been darker  

Novella Song

URL-Length

Dapper Gekko

10,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 am
i seen this movie^^ and... I TOTALLY HATE IT~ xD  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:09 am
They removed all the best scenes along with all the stuff about religion and the Church which mostly robbed it of point.  

Gwion Vaughn

Shameless Man-Lover

38,550 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Icamane--Hatake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:04 pm
well, I can't say too much, 'cuz I saw the movie before I read the books.

I'll admit, they did skrew with the plot some, and moved LOTS of stuff around. that made me mad

but as far as effects go....they did wonderful there. I'll give them that.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 pm
yeah it seemed kinda drawn out but i was on a 14 hr flight while watchin it  

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

x--stevee--x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 am
i actually really really liked it!! i read the books after i saw the movie, and even though they changed some of the details in the movie, i thought it was still done well and that the movie still flowed. reading the book it think it was a really ambitious project to bring it to the big screen and i think that given how difficult it probably was it was very well done!  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff