Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
Transformers -- Actors in Disguise Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Transformers
  Robots in Disguise!
  Gimmicks in Disguise!
  Have not seen it yet...in...disguise?
View Results

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:50 am
So I finally caught Transformers on HBO last night. I have been wanting to see this movie since it came out, but I never got around to it...

Boy am I glad that I didn't pay to see it.

This is a CGI mecha whose green-screen prowess does nothing to enhance the poor acting presented by the actual human actors. From Jon Voigt's showing up on set only to get a paycheck to Shia LaBouf's lazy fallback roll of hyper teenager (they should have just called his character Louis Stevens). In any case, it is a huge embarassment when Optimus Prime out-acts the entire cast.

But it's not all the actors' faults. The writing department as well as the director have to be blamed as well. There were some truly awful comedic plot elements here. One particular point was when the robots are hiding outside the kid's house while he searches for a key plot element. I think with a few thousand tons of alien robot outside my house with the threat of the destruction of the world hanging over my head, I wouldn't worry about my parents finding out about them. Nor would same giant alien robot possibly be able to fit inside of my house to hide from unsuspecting parents. I think it was Ratchet that literally climbs into the living room through the window...? Also, Michael Bay is not known for the best movies...let's just be honest. He can blow things up like no one else, but there is some really serious questions on whether he can handle an emotional experience as well as a high-octane thrill ride. In Transformers, Michael Bay once more relies on his cliched classic 360-degree slow-motion camera rotation as well as countless other cliched camera uses. He may have box-office clout, but Michael Bay is likely Hollywood's worst director.

Overall, I give this movie 2.5/5 if only because the CGI department really busted their balls creating this movie. The robots are really great to look at, even if the rest of the movie is an eye-sore. Hopefully Transformers 2 will do for me what Dark Knight did for Batman Begins, but with Bay staying in the helm...I highly doubt that. If you're looking for a popcorn flick, I suggest looking elsewhere for your summer entertainment. burning_eyes domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 am
omg...I know some of it was cheesy but dude! HE MADE IT LIKE THE BOOK!!! Not the tv series, the origanel book, the only added feature, the hacker, the one that dies and says OH SHET!!!  

xXDragon FoxXx

kallismom99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 am
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I surprisingly enough loved this movie and cant wait for the next one. Also keep in mind that this movie didnt have as much action as expected because they needed to set up the storyline.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 pm
Wait. Stop. Did you say that a movie compromised action for storyline? Holy cow, stop the presses. Michael Bay giving his movie a plot. What is this world coming to? I mean, whatever happened to the mindless and ambling "Pearl Harbor" and "Armageddon"? Why did Bay have to sacrifice his epic action sequences for dialogue and storyline? Movies don't need a storyline. With enough action and explosions, he's sure to bring most of America into the theatre, and make enough money to feed a third-world country for a decade. Because, clearly, movie making is all about the money. It's not about holding up a mirror to society, or making a comment on the state of the world, or making the audience feel some emotion. Nosiree. It's all about the Benjamins.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

jfnbhgurkddhj8
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:34 am
There really wasn't a in-depth storyline, though. I mean, yes...there was point A to point B, but there was very little in setting things up, like you were suggesting. There was just a bunch of happenstance and random events that added up into a plotline.

And besides, I would rather have a kick-a** story with no action than an action-heavy dud, personally. xD domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 am
The ironic tone of my post was obviously ignored...  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:01 pm
I thought the movie was cute, and I think Shia LaBouf is great. Wasn't it a kid's cartoon before? Now it's a teenage movie? Seems fitting to me. And yes, there were a few little goofy things in the plot, such as the giant robots in the backyard, but I think that was fitting too as cheesy as it may be. I mean, I don't think it was ever supposed to be a dense, dark, serious, 100% adult movie, was it?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:30 pm
Hmm... no it wasn't supposed to be a "dense, dark, serious, 100% adult movie", but is it too much to ask for a little sense and a little pith? I mean, just a drop would suffice in a Michael Bay film. Just a drop.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

xXDragon FoxXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 am
*sigh* you realize this was based off a book right? And yes I have read it. IT IS LIKE THE MOVIE! Stop saying that there was no fricken plot and accept that it is transfered from a book to the movie screen! Michle Bay does suck but the movie was great! And if the second one doesn't have hotshot, someone is dying!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:13 am
the movie was awesome to me!....i dont care wat anyone says...but i guess i understant why ppl didnt really like it!  

II RAISER II

Sylvannas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:36 am
I thought Transformers was a brilliant film. Sure Shia LaFrench was a bit crap and that girl from Hope and Faith was a bit rubbish. And the agent was terrible, he was the worst agent I've ever seen.

But APART from that! Oh, and the president was bad too. The army guys and the robots were good though, well, the ones that spoke, obviously.

I'm glad they left it open for a sequel, hopefully they'll have a better cast this time. Shia should've grown up by then, Indiana Jones helped him along. I agree that he was nearly exactly the same in Transformers as Louis Stevens and also, the kid he plays in Holes. That's the same too.

Anyway, good film, bad acting, always next time to improve.

(Added note: YES, HOTSHOT NEEDS TO BE IN THE NEXT ONE. AND RED ALERT!)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:20 am
I personally loved the movie. I mean, yeah, Jon Voight didn't give a strong a performance as he could've. And as for Shia revising his role as Louis Stevens, I have no opinion for I've never seen the show. Also, I thought he did pretty well for the role he was given. Plus, he's kinda cute.

The CGI and realism of the bots won me over! While I did want to see it at first, the CGI kinda had me a bit down cause the graphics are pretty frickin useless and cheesy in most movies, but this one did them brilliantly.

And to have been from Michael Bay? Who knew the man had it in him.  

Post Coital Cookie
Captain

Bloblike Loiterer

scoops0011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:28 pm
it was really cheesey but it wasnt bad but i mean DUDE!!!!!!! MEGAN FOX!!!!! hottest girl alive...just sayin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:25 pm
I watched it as a kids movie and enjoyed it as such.
if it was meant to be an adult movie it did miss the plot and acting mark just a little, but oh well.  

Novella Song

fault22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:51 pm
I looooved the movie. What happened to going ot the movies and watching it just to get away from the everyday blah of life. why analize things to the nth degree.... its one of my favorites.. top 5 definately ..altho i just recently found out about the second one i have mixed feelings on it. its kewl cuz theres another one but i hate for it to go on and ruin it .....  
Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff