Reply Music Room
Music makes the people come together. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Communist Riott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:24 pm
Clearly, you older Gaians adapt with the times (after all, you hang out on a site like this), but I was wondering if the same goes with musical tastes.

Tell me not only about the music you like, but if your favorites change often or slowly. Whether you go from one genre to another, or stick to the same. I am a curious lad. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 pm
Well I haven't really "changed" my tastes. I've always been into metal since I was 11 but the older I get the more into classic rock bands like CCR, Queen, The Who, etc.  

Dargor_Death

Communist Riott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:38 pm
Do you find new bands often? That is another thing I wonder about.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:52 pm
I do actually, sad thing is, most of them aren't really that good. Also there aren't any good rock bands today that I can think of, so I'm kindda limited to the past sad  

Dargor_Death

TemporarilyIdle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:58 pm
I've always like alternative music. Lately I've been listening to Optimus Rhyme, which is hip hop (or rap, I can't quite tell the difference yet).

Then they had a remix kinda electronica album, which got me into techno, so I started listening to Daft Punk.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:08 pm
Music can also make people start to fight. Personally I cannot stand Reggaeton, Rap, Hip-Hop and the like, the lyrics are too offensive in my opinion, it's just ugh. Same goes for some Heavy Metal and the like kind of music, but those are mainly because they give me a headache.

As for what I like, first of all, female vocals, this is a personal "trend" that I've been following without noticing ever since I was in middleschool, starting with The Cardigans, Garbage and The Cranberries, nowadays there's a higher chance I'll like a band if they have a female singer.

Lately I've been a lot into soundtracks, from videogames to movies, as well as ambiental/environmental music, it just relaxes me and sometimes makes me wanna dance. But I also like other types, but I'll list the singers since the songs I like from them goes from "dark-cabaret" to "new-jazz" and personally I'm still not 100% sure of how to define all those types. Some of them would be Goldfrapp and Roisin Murphy. I also enjoy a lot of electronic music, and ANYTHING that has a piano in it, I'm just a big sucker for piano. Of course classical music goes in my tastes too.

I also enjoy alternative-punk and indie-rock a lot, but it's hard to find a good band or at least a band I like, so many of them are just copies of the copies of the copies of the copies of the...  

joluh

Bleu_Fyre

350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:52 pm
joluh
Music can also make people start to fight. Personally I cannot stand Reggaeton, Rap, Hip-Hop and the like, the lyrics are too offensive in my opinion, it's just ugh. Same goes for some Heavy Metal and the like kind of music, but those are mainly because they give me a headache.

As for what I like, first of all, female vocals, this is a personal "trend" that I've been following without noticing ever since I was in middleschool, starting with The Cardigans, Garbage and The Cranberries, nowadays there's a higher chance I'll like a band if they have a female singer.

Lately I've been a lot into soundtracks, from videogames to movies, as well as ambiental/environmental music, it just relaxes me and sometimes makes me wanna dance. But I also like other types, but I'll list the singers since the songs I like from them goes from "dark-cabaret" to "new-jazz" and personally I'm still not 100% sure of how to define all those types. Some of them would be Goldfrapp and Roisin Murphy. I also enjoy a lot of electronic music, and ANYTHING that has a piano in it, I'm just a big sucker for piano. Of course classical music goes in my tastes too.

I also enjoy alternative-punk and indie-rock a lot, but it's hard to find a good band or at least a band I like, so many of them are just copies of the copies of the copies of the copies of the...

I'm the same way. I don't like that offensive music that sounds like "blah" as I say. rofl I really love Garbage and the Cranberries! Apparently I sound like Dolores (from The Cranberries). I, also, seem to be more drawn to the female vocals. Along with that, bands like Stabbing Westward, Linkin Park, Bush, Foo Fighters, Metallica (not so much, anymore-overplayed on the radio), and The Offspring I seem to be drawn to. I think it's because of their vocal styles. I DO love classical music (no, not classic rock...well, only to laugh at, really). I sing with that, as well. Other music that I love is the electronic stuff, but usually the really energetic ones that either build up or have a lot of power to them. Video game music is something I absolutely love, as well! Overall, I think I listen to alternative and electronic style music. I would like to sing in an alternative-rock style band, someday.

I'm the same way with punk and all of that. I just want some originality. I can appreciate other types of music, at times, but it doesn't mean I want to own it and play it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:07 am
To anyone who likes the Cardigans for more than just Lovefool (or even just the album "First band on the moon") deserves some real props! I too love The Cranberries and Garbage (i have every garbage album sitting infront of me).

I am also drawn to female vocals, but she doesn't need to have a particularly strong voice. I really enjoy 'til Tuesday and Aimee Mann's solo work. She is incredibly poetic, and you can hear the emotions in her voice. That is important to me.

As for male vocalists I enjoy; Morrissey is a god. Simple as that.  

Communist Riott

joluh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:24 am
Bleu_Fyre.- I personally don't like many "popular" bands, and at some point I kinda dislike a few of them. The offspring are good, I used to listem to them a lot a long ago, but not anymore, unlike Cranberries, Garbage and Cardigans <3.

Communist Riott.- Seriously dude, they have a lot of other great songs, one of my personal favorites is their cover of Iron Man, the moment I heard it I just fell in love with it <3.

From those 3 bands, my favorite is Garbage, I'm addicted to their music and I've been a fan of Shirley for a long time now, great inspiration in many ways. I still like their two first albums better, but the new ones have good material in them. I'm so anxious for Shirley's solo album D:!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 am
Joluh - I been waiting for Shirley's solo album since she said she was thinking about one. Apparently it is done, but not release, which baffles me! But yes, all of their songs are amazing.
I have been looking for someone who has listened to the Cardigan's latest album (Super Extra Gravity), because I love one of the tracks (I need some fine wine and you, you need to be nicer), but I don't know if I will like the rest. I kinda was hoping they'd keep the sound from Long Gone Before Daylight, but I can understand why they have gone back to a sound similar to their earlier work.

Again, I'll plug the Submarines. They are an awesome new band and totally worth listening to. I want them to be recognized, but I am kinda afraid that in a few months they will be all over the radio (they have that potential) and their third album will lose their artistic glow.

Another question i have, anyone a fan of Bjork? That woman can do ANYTHING with a synthesizer!  

Communist Riott

joluh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 am
Yeah, I've heard a few songs from their album, but I don't own it, it does sounds good tho, I liked that song. But just like Garbage, as much as I love new material, old songs are just personal classics<3.

Of "new" bands, I have a few in my list, not too many but Elefant and Interpol are definitely some of my favorites, I can listen to their songs over and over, and for a while I adoppted the name of a song from Elefant (bokkie) as a fake last name or a nick name haha. I actually own the account bokkie here in Gaia ;3.

To be honest I don't really enjoy Bjork, she's too all over the place for my taste and her voice irritates me sometimes. I do recognize she is awesome tho.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:47 am
I guess thats what makes people either love or hate her (Bjork). I will say that some of her more "out there" tracks, though beautiful and art in every sense of the word, get left out of my play lists because when I am just wanting to listen to easy music, I'm looking for her better known tracks like Hyper-Ballad or Earth Intruders.

But for Garbage, their first two CDs can go on any play list in their entirety. But that was their whole vision. Butch Vig was tired of every band just wanting to do a "jam session" and decided to craft their songs. The result is clear; perfection.

So who else do you listen to Mr. Joluh?  

Communist Riott

joluh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:53 am
Well, on the dancing part of music, I'd go with Le Tigre, Cansei de Ser Sexy, Metric, New Young Pony Club and Teddybears Stockholm just to name a few, and besides Teddybears (except for a song or two) have female vocals, I just love 'em <3.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 am
I love Le Tigre. Although it is interesting you consider them dance music, because to me, they are just modern Riot Grrrl.  

Communist Riott

joluh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:07 am
I don't label them as dance music, but I mean as in, I like to dance to some of their songs, unlike Garbage, Interpol and such, since to me those are more of just relax and listen.  
Music Room

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff