Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply The GAIA Complaints Dept
My goodness - the rudeness of kids these days. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nikolita

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:06 am
On Gaia, the only lip and rudeness I ever got were from stupid users of all ages that I had to deal with when I was modding. They were usually younger, but there was probably a couple in their older teens too.

Aside from that, I don't have many problems with users. I don't come on Gaia as much since I fell out of touch with it (which happened primarily around the time I stopped modding) so I just run my guild, and since it has a good reputation, people tend to leave me alone.

Offline, I'd love so much to just smack the generation or two that came after mine. So many teens and kids are just selfish, self-centered and spoiled rotten by parents who either don't know how to parent properly or who can't be bothered to try.

MercyWild

And who they think funds it. ( I have seen them complain about being expected to buy pixels, I know they don't realize it yet, but even pixels cost money to create..)

An alternative to that is to just not buy the items. I personally made the decision with the arrival of the cash shop to just not buy the items and to not buy MC's unless I really really like an item. For me, I'd rather put my money towards real life necessities like rent and groceries instead of online pixels. I've stopped caring as much since Gaia stopped being a free hangout and became a corporate business, but obviously it's an individual choice. Should I come across a user who's whining about buying pixels, I'd tell them to either buy them or stop whining. When they have their own money, they can do what they want with it. The reality is that Gaia is now first and formost a company, a business out to make money, and the website unfortunately reflects that.

(Sorry, I wasn't trying to slam you Mercy, that just ended up being a bit of a rant in with my reply to your post. I totally agree that kids need to stop whining about the site.)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:15 am
The really sad thing is it's not just Gaia but everywhere that respect is dieing. I work at the ninth grade center of a high school and I see these 14, 15, and sometimes 16 year olds who thing they are grown and know everything, so they don't need to show any respect and just be as rude as they can. Being 27 I know that not too long ago I felt like I knew everything but I still was polite and showed proper respect to people. Nobody really takes pride in anything anymore, and the celeberty "role models" are a joke. Everyone wants to be like the thug rappers or the drunken coked out actress, what happend to wanting to be like Superman or Wonder Woman?  

Tora Shu

Hunter

felinoel

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:28 am
Devilish Zukin
I know when I was younger I was pretty quiet. >>

What's with kids being so opinionated now-a-days?
The internet allows them to be opinionated and not face the consequences that we did without it?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:55 am
The only response I ever get from the "young 'uns" is: Aren't you a little too old to be on Gaia? But the funny thing is, if you use a female avatar they automatically assume you're female in RL so they wouldn't dare to call you a ***** if you use a female avatar, since most, if not all, ***** are males. Mind you, I AM a woman in RL.

Kamika Sugi

8,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Market Browser 100

Taladrea

2,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:57 am
I have not gotten the actual verbal abuse about my age (27), however… I have received the abuse when attempting to give advice over in the LD (Life Issues), as well as seeing it done to other users.

The overall actions of the younger users here on the site are at least going to the dogs due to the behavior shown. When they do realize that there are still much older users (until now I have to admit that I thought was on the line for oldest on here) on the site and that we are not going away as quickly as they would like us to. Posts have gotten down to either one of two things when it comes to context and content: Elite speak (with horrible grammar as well), and no real thought process placed into the posts except when it is bashing someone (even then it’s a 50/50 shot).

Computer technology has vastly improved life as well as started its decline in some aspects in my humble opinion. On the upside, email and instant messengers, VoIP have helped us stay in touch with loved ones faster and more efficiently. Downside, it has also lead to what is now known as Cyber-bulling and Cyber-stalking. Of which the younger ones are taking the former to new and very dark “heights”.

Either way, kids are finding new and better ways to get around the age requirements to be allowed on any social site, the bigger ones like MySpace and Facebook are head on about taking those younger out of the system. However, the kids in question also know about the privacy features to hide that fact. Here I have seen those less than 13 years old on here and acting as if they are within the TOS. I take it either that they do not read them, or that they do not care.

Nevertheless, as I said above…I have yet to be bashed for being an adult here on the site. I can only dream what insults they could come up with since I am a 27-year-old homemaker.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:35 am
Madame_Fluffy
So, my fellow geezers, I must ask...

Do you ever come across the younger populace of this site, and upon learning your real age, you hear the following...

'OMG!!1WTF R OLD PPL DOING ON GAIA?!1! F*CKING *****!!! H4VE NO L1FE!!1 DEY SHULD B B@NNED!1!'

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with such behavior?

That they are self righteous entitled little brats that wouldn't DARE say s**t to us if they saw us in the street. rofl  

Castitatus Lilium

Castitatus Lilium

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:41 am
Akiyhrah
Dragon student
Evil Evie
Mrs_Black_Bear
Yes I have come across that anoyance unfortunately

The world has certainly declined and it makes me very sad, Though I hope to have children of my own and raise them to be respectfull of all people and well manored.

I don't think lack of "Christianity", the media, or music has a thing to do with it. I am Atheist and am respectful to those who are respectful to me.
The problem is a lack of discipline. Parents aren't even allowed to punish their own children. Society is being too soft on these kids. They're told that are special and have all these rights. Since there are no consequences for their actions they run amok saying and doing whatever feels good to them.
I deal with ill mannered snots all day long. Some of them just need a good kick in the butt!
Quite so! I screwed up and my dad would use a belt and I've blacked out whatever my mom did (Mom = terrifying when angry). Let the parents go back to beating the snot out of their brats. Society will be better for it.

And don't misread this. I do think there is a point where a reprimand can go too far and become child abuse.

I agree as well. My brother and I both got a good smack if we were being little shits. We were punished for mis-deeds. I remember when I was about 16 I had a habit of slamming my door when I was angry and my mom got so sick of it she actually took my door off the hinges for two weeks. I never slammed my door again. lol the attitude of Kkds these days is definitely due to a lack of good parenting.
I disagree with the lack of religion though. I was raised Catholic, and became agnostic when my parents split up (my mother's un-intentional influence) and now I am an Atheist, but I am still a good , respectful person, and always have been. Besides, Christianity makes bad people too, every religion has good and bad people following it.

HERE HERE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:14 pm
I often look at this dilemma from an angle. That would be expected more from someone that studies human behavior. Than an observer that just happens to take mental notes of the ones around them. The biggest problem I've found with this type of behavior is it is preventable. People assume nothing will be done if they report rule breakers. But the reality is drastically different. If more people bothered to actually read through the Tos (terms of service). And didn't have some flawed assumption that it is either immature or pointless to report these situations to the moderators that run this sight to be dealt with. We would actually have drastically less fools running around causing trouble on Gaia. Despite the fact that these people actually can make another account is besides the point. When you have seen as many fools as I have online. You will start to notice something rather obnoxious. Despite the fact that the younger ones make up a very large percentage of they people. The older trolls are actually quite a bit worse than the younger ones. A kid you yell at them for being a fool. And you will get a snappy comeback..nothing really major. But an older member that decides to be a total p***k. They actually have some solid reason for there horrible behavior. Which is always based on some level of ignorance. Reason for this is that the foolish actions of the younger generation isn't really based on anything solid. They don't fully believe what they are doing is right on any strong basis.

I think I went on for longer than I intended to. This subject has been a thorn in my side for as long as I've been logging into the internet.  

LanceCalvis

Madame_Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:11 pm
castitatus lilium
Madame_Fluffy
So, my fellow geezers, I must ask...

Do you ever come across the younger populace of this site, and upon learning your real age, you hear the following...

'OMG!!1WTF R OLD PPL DOING ON GAIA?!1! F*CKING *****!!! H4VE NO L1FE!!1 DEY SHULD B B@NNED!1!'

What are your thoughts on this, and how do you deal with such behavior?

That they are self righteous entitled little brats that wouldn't DARE say s**t to us if they saw us in the street. rofl

Eh...you never know. Some of these little pricks are just as obnoxious in the real world. XP

Seriously - some kids just really need to get their a** beaten. XP  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:13 pm
What the hell happened to respecting your elders?

I'm sure that most of the kids on here think that once you turn 20 your life is over. How foolish they will feel when they turn 20 themselves! xd

They're probably just jealous that we have the cash and permission to do all the things that they can't. wink

Personally I think that Gaia would be a much nicer place with more ancient crusties and less obnoxious brats. For starters a conversation might last longer than 3 sentences.......

Faery Nuff

Site Moderator

Magic Manifestation

36,900 Points
  • The Ring: Vol2 Master Collector 250
  • March 2020 Collector 250
  • Wing Mastery 100

stellacadente

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:32 pm
I used to ignore those threads.

Then, I started posting in them, answering the occasional calm, non-insulting observations such as "Why are you on Gaia? Don't you have anything better to do?"

Then, I started answering the above-type questions a bit more snarkily: "I'm on Gaia because I'm done with my work for the day. Don't you have chores and homework to do? I'm going to go buy more EIs with my own cash and make my second million in gold!"

Now, I go in and start screaming for them to "GTFO MAH LAWN!" I love that line, it never gets old! Just like me!!! rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:02 am
Sarah_Jones69
Well, I find it very offensive. I do not like going into towns, or reading forums and seeing sex sex sex, and come to find out, these people are 13-16... Now tell me somethings not wrong with this world.....But yea...I don't understand kinds these days.....

I know what you're saying, I went on General Discussion to see if there was anything important happening and the things they have said on there are horrible, I reported one forum for saying things about a 13 yr old who supposedly got a 14 yr old preg, like push her down the stairs and more. It was disgusting, hopefully something will get done about it. And that's not the only one. There were so many more.  

Mystical_Faery

4,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250

Madame_Fluffy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:16 am
wonderboys_goddess
Sarah_Jones69
Well, I find it very offensive. I do not like going into towns, or reading forums and seeing sex sex sex, and come to find out, these people are 13-16... Now tell me somethings not wrong with this world.....But yea...I don't understand kinds these days.....

I know what you're saying, I went on General Discussion to see if there was anything important happening and the things they have said on there are horrible, I reported one forum for saying things about a 13 yr old who supposedly got a 14 yr old preg, like push her down the stairs and more. It was disgusting, hopefully something will get done about it. And that's not the only one. There were so many more.

The GD has turned into the Chatterbox.

It's sad, really. There are no actual discussable threads there, anymore - and the moderators don't seem to care, either (i.e. - enabling the users to continue posting non-topic threads).

At least, from where I'm looking.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:04 am
Tora Shu
The really sad thing is it's not just Gaia but everywhere that respect is dieing. I work at the ninth grade center of a high school and I see these 14, 15, and sometimes 16 year olds who thing they are grown and know everything, so they don't need to show any respect and just be as rude as they can. Being 27 I know that not too long ago I felt like I knew everything but I still was polite and showed proper respect to people. Nobody really takes pride in anything anymore, and the celeberty "role models" are a joke. Everyone wants to be like the thug rappers or the drunken coked out actress, what happend to wanting to be like Superman or Wonder Woman?

I must agree, I've seen many girls and boys try to copy others, like those from Family guy, but I';m also happy as I am one of the others who didn't do that, I'm 21 and my role models were Amy Rose, Sonia Hedgehog, Sally Acorn and Bunnie Rabbot from Sonic the hedgehog Cartoons and Comics, and I have seen and heard of many people who are still picking them if not Tails, Knuckles and Sonic to find new hope in and new dreams, if this side of the kids works right, there may be hope for us yet.  

BookLover87

cheta2me

3,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 am
i know what ur saying about when they say something about ur age.. believe me i do. im 28yr. and ppl freak out about that.. im a big kid at heart and i love anime.. does it really matter that i lov this site.. hell just like i tell those little children "AGE IS JUST A NUMBER" let them tell me on the street that i need to grow up and get a life, s**t i will put them in there place. on here as well.. i dont let know one tell me what i can and cant do.... that's just me..  
The GAIA Complaints Dept

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff