Submit

Do you like what you're doing??
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 20 ]
Hell NO!!!
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Work is work. . .you're not supposed to enjoy it!
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
I'll do anything for the right money
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

HakimsRazor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:23 am
I've been looking for a new job for a year now. I even went to see a career counselor who basically told me I wasn't suited for the job I'm currently doing (duh!) and took a lot of my money.
I'm getting callbacks on my resume and I'm doing 2nd and 3rd interviews but they keep telling me I'm the 2nd choice.

So I'm pursuing HR because I've been doing temp staffing placement for the last 4 years. I'm not crazy about it but I just need to get out of the company I'm working for and out of the staffing industry.

Any suggestions??  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 pm
My only advice is to just keep working at it and not give up. The job market these days isn't what it used to be. I just got my BS degree and was planning on just getting a job but my job hunt wasn't going very well. So I decided to go to graduate school and get my masters instead. I am hoping by the time I am done the economy will have stabilized and even if it hasn't I will still be better off that I was before.  

Aeternam

Fashionable Duck

Mikiba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:20 pm
Just don't give up. Looking for that perfect job is difficult. I've been working in retail for three years and recently applied to a security call center office job, and I only got a phone interview. After a couple of days, I was told that they passed over me. I'm going to apply again, but it's so discouraging.

Just keep looking. Eventually the right job will come up. It takes a lot of time and determination. :]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:33 pm
HakimsRazor
I've been looking for a new job for a year now. I even went to see a career counselor who basically told me I wasn't suited for the job I'm currently doing (duh!) and took a lot of my money.
I'm getting callbacks on my resume and I'm doing 2nd and 3rd interviews but they keep telling me I'm the 2nd choice.

So I'm pursuing HR because I've been doing temp staffing placement for the last 4 years. I'm not crazy about it but I just need to get out of the company I'm working for and out of the staffing industry.

Any suggestions??

I get layed off every year. I work like crazy to please them so they will keep me on and every year I am looking for a new job. I am a year older and another job listing on the resume that looks like I am a drifter. I don't get it . I have a friend that never went to college and she makes 60k a year in sales and I went for 6 years and been working and keeping up my education as a teacher and haven't come close to making that much. I work long hours and get canned every year. I am unemployed and burned out on job hunting and trying to sell myself.  

Goldiepirate

11,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

bbydaeriel93

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:30 pm
I know a little about this sort of thing. I had a few ideas before God led me to the right one. I mean I've read alot of articles about what sort of jobs suit what sort of people. In fact I could even recommend a couple of books.

First, look at your dissatisfaction as a good thing. Most people get freaked out, and settle for something they always regret. I almost fell for that. I started school 2 years late; come to find out, waiting was the best thing I could have done.

My advice, not knowing your situation, try to be patient, and hone your skills; maybe try to learn a new one if possible.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:16 pm
stressed  

HakimsRazor

HakimsRazor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:21 pm
Thanks for all the feedback. (just joined this guild recently and wasn't expecting much of a response. . . can u tell I'm a pessimist).

Trying to keep plugging. . .I've been searching for a little over a year and my bf won't let me give up. . .not to mention my desire to stick it to my boss. She knows I've been looking and seems to be amused that I'm still around. I'm the kind of worker that kicks butt in whatever position I'm placed in. . . .however, I'm not a fan of selling myself (rather modest, I guess). I think that's what really kills me in the interview.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:36 pm
The best thing you could do would be to prepare for your interview and go over things that you think they would most likely ask and see where you could improve. Be confident in yourself. Sell yourself to the fullest extent but never lie. Also keep on your toes...sometimes you can get some pretty odd questions. Most of all be yourself...your best self. That way if you get turned down you know it was because they weren't right for you.  

Aeternam

Fashionable Duck

Xx velvet petals xX

3,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:45 pm
Where I work at I do the interviews for our new employees. What i can tell you is walk in the room self assured (believe in yourself) know some background about the company that you are applying at and be prepared to sell yourself. One of the things we look for is personality believe it or not.. employers want to know if your going to be flexible enough to fit into their environment.

There is also a difference between looking for a job versus a career. Having different jobs can help you find out what you like best so you can find a job in a field you like for a career.

You should also know that you are definately NOT alone, everyone feels the way you do and we all go thru it. It will pass and you will get thru it just stick to it wink

if ever you want to talk PM me or add me  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:17 pm
NO cake for candy
Where I work at I do the interviews for our new employees. What i can tell you is walk in the room self assured (believe in yourself) know some background about the company that you are applying at and be prepared to sell yourself. One of the things we look for is personality believe it or not.. employers want to know if your going to be flexible enough to fit into their environment.

There is also a difference between looking for a job versus a career. Having different jobs can help you find out what you like best so you can find a job in a field you like for a career.

You should also know that you are definately NOT alone, everyone feels the way you do and we all go thru it. It will pass and you will get thru it just stick to it wink

if ever you want to talk PM me or add me

this is very helpful. i've been doing various jobs in different fields for some time now and i thought it would be a bad thing, you know, just shows i dont know what i want.. but thanks to this i find that it has it's good points too :3

HakimsRazor: We would not know what's right for us if we dont keep on trying. :3 i guess we start off with what really motivates us to work and what are our interests are.

if a company can offer both or a little of both then we have to give it a try. things are not perfect and the grass is always greener on the other side. but what's important is we try to learn everything about the job, make friends with co-workers, remember that mistakes are fine they're part of growing up, keep a positive outlook (tomorrow will be a bit better than today). Smile. :3  

ainenia

HakimsRazor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:58 am
heart heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:34 am
I hear that its very common for jobs that require lots of education to be harder to find *and* that the number of years you spent in school is roughly equal to the number of years it'll take you to find a nifty job...that little tidbit seems to be true for teachers especially - they substitute and work in crazy inner city schools until they get a good teaching reputation.

Anyway, what I *want* to say is: Keep at it scream hunt down that job and wrestle it to the ground!  

Kuuryuro

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:30 pm
I would like to suggest a visit to your local Employment Security Office.

They can give FREE help and assistance to those who need to brush up on interviewing skills.

AND, you can get some GREAT job searching done by companies who ONLY advertise with them.

Temping is another avenue to consider as you are right now. Again, companies who are looking for select people will go through a temp agency (a reputable one) that carefully screens their applicants.

I have been in the healthcare industry now almost 13 years. Ive got Pediatrics, Women's Health, Nutrition, Durable Medical Equipment, Transcriptions, Physician's Billing, DME Billing, I specialize in Government medical insurance plans as well as Medicare and State Medicaid programs.

Im working for a very large hospital here in Southern NH which will soon be expanding. I will have first dibs on the newer opportunities, AND they will put me through college which is what I want to do.

I want to get my degree in Accounting and Business Healthcare Management, and thankfully Im still young enough to thrive on it afterwards.

Give it a shot!!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 pm
in addition to good interviewing skills, networking is a must! i have been at my company for 10 years, but have had seven different desks, if you don't count the ones i've had more than once! i am a flexible employee who can work anywhere. that's rare today, every company needs someone like that and only 8% of the workforce is like that.

take pride in your accomplishments. being unsure of yourself is a killer during an interview. and as for networking, i hate to admit it but more often than not it really is who you know. i was interviewed at my company ahead of others i think because i put one of their higher level managers down as a reference. (the interviewer had to find out how i knew him!) it helped my interviewer learn enough about me to get my foot in the door. i've been overworked and underpaid by them ever since! wink  

medea malfoy

Kamui_kusinagi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:12 am
I have to say two things..Networking and have a really tough skin. Dissapointment happens. Just brush off the rejection, and try again. Some persistance can also come to be admired by some, shows enthusiasim for the job just as long as you don't start calling everyday x.x  
Advice Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff