Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
Death... What does it mean to you, do you fear it, and why? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death is to you...
Only natural.
84%
 84%  [ 85 ]
Horrible...
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
A thrill
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 101

RoleOfAQS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:12 pm
By the way, this is probably gonna move to the serious discussion sub-forum, so I'm letting you know that other deep stuff will be there too! (took me 20 minutes to find that politics stuff got moved into that new subforum...)

So then... Death. The end of life. What is it to you?

Are you afraid to die?

Why do you feel this way?

Three simple questions... VERY COMPLEX ANSWERS.

Me? I don't break a sweat. Don't call me heartless though...

What is death to you?
-Death is the end of life. A transition of existence. Should the afterlife exist, it shall be transference from this existence into the final existence. Should it be reincarnation, from this existence to the next. Should it be non-existence, the transition from a consumer to the consumed, from the top to the bottom. From a being of destruction, to a seed of creation in the never ending cycle of creation and destruction, also known as the cycle of life.

Do you Fear Death?
-Not really. Nor am I phased by it. Death is to be welcomed with open arms. It is the end of suffering, and is that which makes life worth living. If it were not for death, we would be stricken with an eternal torture. If you want the details. They're a bit graphic, since body ever has, ever will, or can even die. It's not a pretty picture, and not for the squeamish. However... There are rules. Death is to be welcomed... but not sought out or given. In other words, it is to come when it does... you are not a messenger of death, nor a sacrifice to it. You insult that which death stands for when you abuse and misuse it in such a way.

-It is only logical. My mind is that which sits back and thinks things out, sometimes far too much. That does NOT make me emotionless. Love, I would say, is my greatest weakness, and one I'm glad I have. Love is the most wonderful feeling in the world. However, death is not tragedy. If they lost their life to disease, it ended their suffering. If it was to murder, I must take up arms and fight in their stead... Honor their memory and face life headstrong. WAR DEATHS COUNT AS MURDER. If it was suicide... then they did not love me more than they loved themselves. And evidently, I wasn't good enough for them... it would be the same as if they said "I hate you" or "Let's just be friends" on our anniversary or on Valentines. And before you say "It'll be different when it happens to you"... you're wrong. It already has. My grandmother and first crush to cancer, a very close friend to suicide. Nobody has been murdered, but I do believe I would be compelled to live on for both of us. Death to me, is not a tragedy. Merely a transition and inevitability.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
What is death to you?
Being a believer in reincarnation, to me, death is the spirit soul's transition from the current physical body into another body, or possibly even ascension to God... depending on the individual's karma and state of mind. One who lives a noble lifestyle {regardless of religion} and has in some way reduced or eliminated past bad karma will obtain a higher form, and those who have conducted themselves badly with bad karma will be given a lower form... or even sent to a hellish planet, depending on the severity of their misdeeds.

An individual's state of mind upon death is, in my belief, one of the most decisive factors in determining which body they will take birth in next. The way they have lived their lives and their past karma mold their way of thinking and what will be on their mind at the time of their death.

Death is natural and should be expected. It is only the material body that dies and it's a condition we have to endure in the material world. The spirit soul, however, is eternal; continuing existence after the physical body has died.

Are you afraid to die?
As much as I want to say "no" due to my knowledge of death, if I want to be completely honest, I would say that I am. There's a lot about my life that I do not feel is being done right and there are still things I feel I need to complete before I die. With this feeling of attachment, I fear that if I were to die at this moment, I would not be ready for it and I could become stuck here.

I know that if I were to die, it would be due to my own karma and it was meant to happen and therefore it should be welcomed, but having the knowledge and applying it to your life are two different things. With my imperfect mind, I cannot say for certain that I would be thinking straight at that point in time.

It's a heavy influence from my religion, but it also makes sense to me and seems logical and intellectual. I accept the possibility that I could be completely wrong about death and "the after life", but right now, this is what my mind believes is correct. I'm open to the possibility that there are other answers out there that, regardless of whether I believe them or not, could also be correct.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Kyreie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:24 pm
What is death to you?

Death is the end of the physical body and hopefully, a time for the spirit to rest and contemplate the experiences of that life before moving on, either to a higher existence or to the next physical life. (You may have guessed already, but I am a believer in the next world and reincarnation! smile ) Of course, some do "get stuck" here, because of fear, unfinished business, etc.

Do you Fear Death?

No. I'm not eager for death, but when it comes, I won't be afraid to go on a different adventure.

I've seen and experienced too many things to logically believe that there is nothing after death. And of course I have my spiritual beliefs.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:37 pm
Death is death.

if i die, than so be it...  

Aquatic Zombies

fault22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:14 pm
death to me is just the ending of the physical life
i am more afraid of how i will die than death its self i dont want to suffer cuz im a wimp
also im scared of it because i , altho not a bible toting bertha, i am semi religious, and im afraid of going to hell lol im a sucka sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:21 pm
Alas, being featured is a blessing and a curse. Because it is easy to lie about your age, yet hard to hide your stupidity. Don't post here unless you're gonna take it seriously and do so in a meaningful manner. And for the love of God... at least TRY to use correct grammar! It couldn't hurt you to act least TRY to act like the old people you claim to be!  

RoleOfAQS

Sweet_lil_tomboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:28 pm
Death comes to all things and beings, from plants to humans. It is a natural course of life. I pray I am lucky enough to die a ripe old age, napping in my rocker on my front porch, as the sun sets over the mountains.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:27 pm
Death is nothing but a part of life. To some it comes sooner than later, but there is no need to fear it. Embrasse that witch you do not understand, do not fear it. For the only thing to fear in life is fear its self. I am not emo but i do not mind if i die, I kinda look foward to it, It doesnt make you emo not to want to have to see so much poain and suffering. Its nothin more then the world we live in. We all wish to die its just how much. Some like my self welcome it with open arms, and other fear what they dont know, but deep down they know its part of life. Theres an old saying,"Death luaghs at us, but all we can do it luagh back". I luagh real damn hard. Sides for any one that believes in God they have nothin to fear right. I dont think any one has a reason to fear death. Well thats all i have to say about that  

Kylsum Hikaru

grindol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:42 pm
What is death to you?
To me death is a constant thing, recently I have lost my father to cancer, my best friend to liver desease, a few good friends to suicide, a friend and a mentor to a car crash and yea, there has been a few deaths recently. But death to me is neither good nor bad, it simply is, like being born death is a natural part of the life process, I have only a few months (possibly a year) left to live if my doctors are correct so have recently become more comfortable with death, that does not mean i WANT to die merely that i am READY to do so,

Do you Fear Death?
Not at all, I have lived (for the 32 years that i have had) a relatively good life, I have helped others and done what I thought was right, Have i accomplished all the things i wanted to in my life? No, but i am content, and I'm not dead yet so still have time to complete a few more things on my list wink

Why do birds sing? Because they know not the sorrow of tomorrow. Why do I feel this way about death? Because I have seen the face of death and know that it holds no malice, nor does it hold any desire to hurt or harm, it merely is, death is the coming of night on the day that was my life, if i lived well (which I have tried to do) then it was a good day, granted there was some showers and stormy weather but that to is part of life's grand adventure, I am a christian and so believe that in death I am born to eternal life, I also believe in the ideals of the jedi, and believe in death we become one with the force, able to for a short time aid those we love and care for.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:46 pm
Death to me? Well, it's end of one cycle, and start of a new one. It's a natural curse, although, not a well accepted one.

Am I afraid of it? It depends, some days I will admit, for some odd reason I will fear it. The rest of the time, I challenge it. It is the unknown, and by instinct, the unknown warrants concern.

The reasons I feel this way is...I am surrounded by death, I'm constantly at a funeral. The fact the concept is no where near foreign to me. On the other hand, despite my belief in reincarnation, I simply can't help but wonder what is on the other side of the veil. And that sometimes messes with my mind.  

Kamui_kusinagi

AvilesC

7,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:50 pm
What is it to you? Death is the end of what you have been and the beggining of...well I dont know. Sum think there is sumthing after death but im the type that dont like to beleve in sumthing I cant feel see touch with my own. yes I hope theres a heavin for me were I can be with my grandfather who died so many years back. But I always stick to one truth in my life. Expect the wors hope for the best but its usualy gona be wors...

Are you afraid to die? No im not afraid to die. i willingly would acept death... im afraid of how I would die and when. I die to soon and I leave behind my wife and soon to be born child missing who knows what...I die to late and thats just more missery and pain I go thru befor the end...also I would like to die in peace. Not to die alone. One of my greatist fears is to die with no one to remember me...

Why do you feel this way?I have witnissed the deaths of countless people who will never have anyone remember them. its a great sadness that comes into a soal of sumone when dieing and knowing one fact. After all the years I have lived what have I done with myself? Who have I hellped? Will my death mater to anyone? Questions that pluege the dieing. Evryone whant to be remebered in a good way sumhow by sumone. Usualy by those your closest to. your lover, your child, your parents...sumone to remember who you were and what you did in your life. For that life to have been one worth living.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:01 am
I'm not afraid of death anymore, I was a British soldier at the age of 16 in combat at 17, so what bother's me is the how! Coz I've lost many good mate's.
For me personally I hope it's quick and painless. And if not that and I'm incapable to commit 'hari kiri'; I'll be lucky enough to have a mate there to 'do what's right by me'

As to what happens afterwards I don't know, useually I'm not religious, but there are no atheist's in the trench's and I do know when the order to fix bayonet's is given one make's one's peace with 'god'. But I'm willing to wait to find out for sure eek

My main concern is living the life I want to, following my own interest's and ambition's (And they are not that material), I am living in 'realative poverty' at the moment following my path, practisng zazen kotodama and being a fulltime 'uchi deci' at a dojo (At my age goddamnit with a bunch of kid's) I don't even have regular employment or income. But my life is so rich, interesting and fulfilling at the moment, that I'm content to 'go at any moment' and in the word's of a dear friend "Life's Great" and as someone I really respect say's "You have to be alive to feel pain, so acknowledge it and get on with it"

So my 'thang' is enjoy every moment and "Eat the hell out of the hamburger". And why worry about death, just live the best you can, follow your passions and interest's and try one's best to make a positive difference to everyone you meet, even if that's just a smile to someone who looks like they need someone to smile with them.  

Iaido Dude

Trelayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:33 am
Death is simply part of life. At this point in my life, I can't say that I fear death for my own sake, but I am concerned. I have a three-year-old to raise into a responsible young woman. That would be difficult died while mommy was still incarcerated and may never be judged a fit parent again. So, I take reasonable precautions and try to enjoy life.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:01 pm
I am not afraid of death, I accept it as a part of life. When my time comes, I shall welcome death with open arms. I don't know why I feel like this, I always have felt this way. There is no escaping death.

Yes, I will feel sad for my family and friends, but in time they will move on. If I'm lucky, they will remember me so in a way I will have lived forever in their minds.  

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers