Reply Serious Conversations
Home Sick ALREADY! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.x.mudpuppy.x.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:29 am
I am 24 and just left home for the first time really attending a college away from there. I am home sick already and only got here yesterday!!! How pathetic is that! Though it doesn't help that I don't feel well my stomach didn't like supper.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:17 am
*hugs* Hang in there hunny! The first week is the worst, it gets easier the longer you do it! And remember, the majority of the other students will be feeling exactly the same! Once you get settled in you'll wonder what the heck it was you were homesick for! I was lucky, couldn't wait to leave home, it was still difficult though. My sister on the other hand managed 3 days and then wimped out and went home, she's 29 now and my parents still can't get shot of her! wink

College food = yuck. My sympathies! I once cleared an entire dining hall by wiggling my fork under the veggie lasagne and making cat noises.... xd Can't help you with that one, sorry!

Faery Nuff

Site Moderator

Magic Manifestation

36,900 Points
  • The Ring: Vol2 Master Collector 250
  • March 2020 Collector 250
  • Wing Mastery 100

Vaihingen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 am
I am so there with you. It felt like the secound I turned eighteen they plopped me into uni and went to another country! Three years later and I still get homesick, but what I've found helps are:
bi or daily emails, same goews for phonecalls. It's not wussy- for your own sanity, it's smart, right?

Getting out there and getting distracted! Social stuff, academic clubs, even *gulp* volunteering. Of course this isn't so feasible when yer sick *hugs as well* Food poisoning is over within two days, but since this sounds tamer I'd give it maybe a day. You pop those painkillers, girl! heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:41 pm
Thanks guys I am sitting her balling atm I am thinking of trying to call my parents when I stop cry to see how they are. I definately need to get out and about I dont think being in all day today has helped at all.  

.x.mudpuppy.x.

indyana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:21 pm
Yeah, definitely make yourself go out and about. Get some daylight and people around you! Also, writing emails to your family, calling them each day to talk about things, and talking to friends back home can help. Just concentrating on having fun learning and interacting in classes can really take your mind off things as well, not to mention that being involved in class can help you get to know your classmates and make a few friends to go out and do things with.

Hang in there! I remember being homesick my first few years away from home, but I found people to hang out with and made sure to do things around campus to keep myself from sitting around and moping too much.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:24 pm
Its normal. I was the same way when I moved out for my first time. But it will pass in time.  

President Kristian Fry

7,950 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Fairy Enna

Conservative Gaian

11,475 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:36 pm
I'm sorry you're having ahard time! My oldest just left for her second year of college and she called me after her first day of classes all angsty about things.

I just said to her over and over -- It was your first day - it'll all work out!

I get homesick for her from here at home, too. It's normal - it's sucky - it's OK and you'll be fine soon and not missing home at all!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 am
Stick it through. This is a big part of making up the excellent stuff that will mature into you, and who you are.

I spent 1 year at a US college campus, and then went overseas for another year. Yes, when things get difficult, homesickness comes into play (especially in winter because you are locked away in your room!) but these are the defining moments.

How do you want to remember your early days, or what will you tell your grandchildren about how you "faced" these moments?  

jcap

1,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

TequilaRose

6,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 am
it's good for you. just don't get stuck in a state you don't plan on staying in just because of jobs. I got married and I moved to Michigan only planning on being here a few years and now I am pregnant and far away from all my family back in Washington. It's not that bad though. Thats what they made transportation for. lol just make sure you go back and visit every year and talk on the phone a lot.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:41 pm
I remember the first time I left home ... (back when they had stone wheels biggrin ) .... I joined the Army and went away for 4 years ... no home, no mom ... I went overseas to Germany for 4 years and at first it was hard but, that changed quick .... I was 19 years old and no drinking age over there!! Talk about parties!! I loved every minute of it. I gave Uncle Sam another 4 years after that 1st tour and then got out after 8 years ... 6 of which were spent in Europe!! I've seen things and done things that most people could only dream of!!

Give it time ... you'll love it too!! razz  

Sho Yuuki

Dani Hyrosha

IRL Shapeshifter

9,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:12 am
Gee...this sounds farmilliar. Oh right, that was me just over three years ago sweatdrop

You'll be okay. I still call my mom practially every day. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

The gang here is right, find something to do. I found a group of geeks like me (video games in the dorms brings all geeks together) and we'd hang out. I didn't feel as homesick between school, work and my friends. The first one I met was the one that brought us together...and I married him eight months later 3nodding

Of course I was lucky and I still get homesick sometimes. Welcome to being an adult.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:02 pm
You know, your family feels the same way. Call and say hello, and make everyone's day! It's okay to call and/or write, they don't want you to feel like you've been dropped off the edge of the world. Even though we're all grown up now, we still call and text and email almost every day. Just don't think that going home is a good option, just because you're homesick. Get out and meet some people, do some things, see what your new town has to offer. It's an adventure! 3nodding whee  

sunsetsmile

bandaidd
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:31 pm
If you are crying, it's probably not the best time to call.
But do send emails and let your family/friends know that you are realizing how much they mean to you.
If you are too sick to your stomach to eat, please at least drink a little... and try to keep the same sleep hours and even routines you had at home.
Talking it out online with us strangers is a great way to spill your guts too, so can pretend to be brave around your roomies and on the phone. You might even consider documenting your feelings on a blog or in a journal so you can share later with kids in the same situation or even look back and see how far you've grown.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:32 pm
You're not pathetic, and you sound just like me. I moved to the other side of my state (Michigan) to go to college when I was 22, and it was the first time I planned to live so far from home. Best thing I found - distraction. Doesn't matter if it's on here, the TV. I particularily enjoy sitting around somewhere neutral in public, like in a coffee house. Doing stuff is the best way to moved past that initial feeling of loss. And on top of not being so homesick, you'll get to experience where you're at now, and maybe get to meet new people.  

Tanuki Rei

O.G. Kitten

5,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:50 pm
My oldest is going through this ~ at 19. It was her decision to go to a college away from home, and I supported her choice. But know that she misses us a lot. Gotta love the IM ~ we hear from her frequently.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff