Reply Serious Conversations
Anyone out there with ADD? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LolaLowRider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 am
Lets get down to it. I've been in and out of the mental health care system for the last 18 years. The damn Dr.'s can't make up there minds about wether I'm Manic depresive or Bi-poloar. The real kicker is this new Dr. tells me I have ADD. I decided to check it out on the internet. All those silly test tell me to get help imediatly. I think the Dr. is right on point. But where do the suicidal thought come from, and why wasn't i diagnosed sooner? What i'm looking for is others with ADD, and how the cope.
What types of meds do you take, if any?
Does thearpy work?
Just looking for support in dealing with this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:10 am
Looking at the symptoms of ADD it really explains alot of my actions in the past and present. Is there a way to change? Is medication the only answer? Are there support groups? Any feedback is welcome. I don't think I can get a handle on this alone.  

LolaLowRider

MQubed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:39 pm
Go to the library and get HEALING ADD by Dr. Amen.

He has done thousands (or more) brain scans and determined there are actually 6 different types of ADD. Like you, once diagnosed, so much finally made sense (I'm "limbic" which looks a lot like depression).

Dr. Amen (yes, he's a real medical doctor) also offers suggestions on nutrition, supplements, as well as medication. It was a great resource, and I'm feeling much more stable (I now take vitamins as well as Wellbutrin and Cymbalta).

After reading Healing ADD, you'll probably want to buy your own copy, but I figure you might be able to find it more quickly at the library.

Best wishes!!
(If you're interested you could send me a friend request... smile )  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:43 pm
Here's a link to the Dr. Amen's website: http://amenclinics.com/da/  

MQubed

pd2care

17,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:02 pm
I've got it. My daughter has it. Neither of us are on meds. But I worked in the mental health field for 10 years, and found that it's often misdiagnosed Bi-Polar (mostly manic) mimicking the ADHD. If you get on ADD/ADHD medications, and they don't help you, then most likely the first doctors were right. You can live with ADD/ADHD without meds, and be fine. Just learn coping skills for the attention deficiencies. Only reason I ever take meds for mine is to sleep. I get times of insomnia due to not being able to turn off my brain. Anxiety makes my ADD worse, which makes the anxiety worse. Hence the need for meds. Bi-Polars shouldn't live without meds. The mood swings just get intolerable, for everyone, including the patient.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:31 pm
well, I have ADD ... and the thing with ADD is it's a new "blanket" diagnosis that is getting more and more popular. A name for what so many folk had that they have been dealing with quietly.

I have Clinical Depression, Hyper Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Agoraphobia, Insomnia, migraines (only like 1 or 2 every couple months), and ADD ... I am on Effexor, Lamictal, Vistaril (for when the Lamictal isn't doing enough for my anxiety), Concerta, Seroquel (for the insomnia), and some allergy meds. I also have therapy now twice a month. I have been in therapy for over a year. It helps. But only for the PTSD.

My son has ADHD, Asperger's .. he's been labeled "high functioning autism" ... we are in the process of changing his prescription from Concerta to something else. I can't remember what it's called right now though.

-o-CrazyMuch-o-

3,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:11 am
I'm currently in the process of finding out why my 7 year old suddenly changed behaviors - I'm worried about him since I'm going through a divorce and he tells me how much he hates being alive.

Anyway, I've had a somewhat rocky history with professional mental health people as well. I've seen a shrink most of my life - and somehow none of them figured out that I was abused as a child - even when I point blank told them! o.O

My suggestion to you is to learn as much as you can about how the mind works. Psychiatry is still not as developed as people like to think it is. The mind if very complex and someday they'll have it figured out.

For me, the only thing I could do was find patience and learn about the things that triggered me to become suicidal. I really don't want to bite the bullet now - so I watch myself very closely.

Well, good luck to you. If you ever need to vent or need a person in your corner - send me a friend request. ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:13 am
-o-CrazyMuch-o-
well, I have ADD ... and the thing with ADD is it's a new "blanket" diagnosis that is getting more and more popular. A name for what so many folk had that they have been dealing with quietly.

I have Clinical Depression, Hyper Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Agoraphobia, Insomnia, migraines (only like 1 or 2 every couple months), and ADD ... I am on Effexor, Lamictal, Vistaril (for when the Lamictal isn't doing enough for my anxiety), Concerta, Seroquel (for the insomnia), and some allergy meds. I also have therapy now twice a month. I have been in therapy for over a year. It helps. But only for the PTSD.

My son has ADHD, Asperger's .. he's been labeled "high functioning autism" ... we are in the process of changing his prescription from Concerta to something else. I can't remember what it's called right now though.

How do you like the Effexor? I used to absolutely love it - but now I'm having problems with high blood pressure and severe anxiety again. So I'm in the process of switching meds (it sucks).  

Shinigami Unity

Thufir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:13 am
I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, and was medicated with several different things over the years. The medications may have helped calm me outwardly, but when I look at myself, and back at myself, I'm glad I'm not on them now. My mind still jitters a lot, causing me to change my topic of focus a lot, even mid-conversation sometimes. Mostly I have it under control when I need to work with other people, but in my down time, I just let it out.

I haven't done much research into the disorder recently, but I do think I'll be checking out the book MQubed mentioned soon.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 am
Thank you to those who have replied so far! It always nice to know I'm not the only one.  

LolaLowRider

Dani Hyrosha

IRL Shapeshifter

9,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:06 am
Manic Depression and Bi-polar are the same thing.... sweatdrop I should know.

ADD is pretty mild. If you know what sets you off, avoid it. You can control it with diet and support. Bi-polar, not so much.

Crazy Munch is right though, a lot of docs diagnose ADD when it's something else. Get a second opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm
Wow, I used to assume I had add since I get bored easily and unless I completely focus I sometimes don't get what I just read like my mind is on something else so I have to concentrate or it doesn't make any sense like I didn't even read it. Maybe I just have a short attention span but lately I've felt some serious depression and bad thoughts about myself. I have only ever taken anti depressants as the only medication I have ever been on for 2 months now and am not sure if they even help or not. I certainly don't feel like I'm happy yet, lol. I guess I just turned 29 over a month ago and maybe it's an old depression catching up with me. I guess, I feel pretty lonely a lot. But who doesn't when there's nobody in your daily life to love and hold. I sort of have that but I recently pictured my whole future and had real hopes and dreams for the first time in my indecisive life I knew what I wanted. But again, being sad a lot takes it all away and crushes the dream. hard to say what my problem is I guess. Hope one of these pill pushing doctors comes to some better conclusions for some of us, haha. thanks for listening.  

Reggiehaha

vickysdream44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:51 am
I realize the topic is ADD, but i was bi-polar ptss and severly depressed.
i have been in theropy for 20 something years. i go once a week . i have finaly reached a turning point in my life. i dont take meds any more . i was on 11. i started to leave my house after 5 years of being scared of my own shadow. i am in the process of getting my GED. and i want to finally live. i am now 50 years old .i guess i want to say there is light at the end
of the tunnel for me and i Pray there is for all of you too. keep trying to find things that work for you. as we are all different all meds and theropyst are different too. dont give up there is a way for us all.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:37 am
I was thought to have ADD growing up, but it turns out that my recent (last summer) diagnosis of Asperger's is much more accurate. Beyond that, the traditional medications for ADD never worked for me - and I was prescribed Ritalin, Adderall, Adderall XR and Wellbutrin (sp?) and none helped; honestly, they hindered any behavioral modification I made. I'm very adverse to drugs that alter mental states unless absolutely necessary, so if you've found that what your doctor has recommended to you improves your wellness, all the power to you! But if you're having difficulty adjusting your daily life to accommodate the effects of it, then I would recommend cognitive behavioral therapy and behavioral modification in lieu of medications. If there's anything you'd like to ask me, please, don't be wary to PM me about it.

Raevena

LolaLowRider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:24 pm
Update

Started meds thursday. Adderall 30mg twice a day. If any one eles is taking this med and could answer a few question it would be helpfull.
When first starting did you have side affects?
What side affects did you have?
Did they gradually disapate?
Has it helped?

Again Thank You to all who post heart

Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items