Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mrs_Black_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:42 pm
32_dragonfly
Update

Started meds thursday. Adderall 30mg twice a day. If any one eles is taking this med and could answer a few question it would be helpfull.
When first starting did you have side affects?
What side affects did you have?
Did they gradually disapate?
Has it helped?

Again Thank You to all who post heart
Yup have ADD was on Both Aderal and Rytalin at different times am no longer on either. Ad made me feel like i was walking in a dream all the time and I hated it it was like nothing was real and it was all in slow motion, i was always tired and I beleave it made my inability to pay attention worse because my brain would shut down after about the third word of a lecture and there would be nothing just silence. I don't remember what Rit made me feel like I was too young and I have my fair share of other problems to.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:13 pm
Please keep in mind, not everyone will have the same experiences/reactions/results when taking any type of medication for ADD.

The other thing to remember also is that, there are true tests that determine ADD/ADHD. And it is not just on paper. They have to do Brain-Scans to get a thorough analysis.

My high school friend, has a 7 yr old son who was diagnosed with ADD. I asked her "what tests did they do to diagnose him with it?"... She said she had to do a survey of questions. And then, the MD reviews the answers and goes from there.

They gave him a high dose of ritalin. I looked at her and told her "Did he have any CT scans? or MRI's? Any thorough psychological evaluations done by a qualified therapist in conjunction with scans?"...

When she said no, I about freaked.... I explained to her that a paper test does nothing to properly diagnose ADD/ADHD. Nothing, nadda, zilch! I told her that her son still should be reviewed with more thorough testing because given the high dosage of Ritalin (he was taking a dose for a 20 year old man), I had suggested she seek a second opinion before her son is overmedicated and possibly develop more problems.

She did, she took him to a newer referral. They did the correct tests and scans, and he didnt have ADD or ADHD... they narrowed it down to the fact through a therapist, the therapist revealed her son was sexually abused by his father (from visitations with him)...

This 7 yr old child was medicated for no reason.

I gotta tell you, there are TOO MANY doctors who will just throw anyone on ritalin or any relative medication, just for the kick-back profits from the pharmaceutical companies... My previous work through the Federal Government showed an excessive list of drugs prescribed unnecessarily.

It angers me to no avail that this happens... and so many families are now victims of medical-greed.

ADD/ADHD is a highly over-diagnosed situation that in most cases, it is unfounded.

Please be very careful and get as much information as you can before you allow a doctor to prescribe any med related to ADD/ADHD... gonk  

Wixandrettas

pd2care

17,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:56 am
Mrs_Black_Bear
32_dragonfly
Update

Started meds thursday. Adderall 30mg twice a day. If any one eles is taking this med and could answer a few question it would be helpfull.
When first starting did you have side affects?
What side affects did you have?
Did they gradually disapate?
Has it helped?

Again Thank You to all who post heart
Yup have ADD was on Both Aderal and Rytalin at different times am no longer on either. Ad made me feel like i was walking in a dream all the time and I hated it it was like nothing was real and it was all in slow motion, i was always tired and I beleave it made my inability to pay attention worse because my brain would shut down after about the third word of a lecture and there would be nothing just silence. I don't remember what Rit made me feel like I was too young and I have my fair share of other problems to.

Any methelphenydate based ADD drugs (all stimulants) can make you feel like a zombie. That means you're taking too much. The dosage per person can be tricky. Took me a couple tries to get the dosage just right for my daughter, and the clients we had. Back off slowly, a little per day, to get just the right amount for that person. Your doctor can help you fix the dosage if you're over, or under.

Dragonfly...
Side affects usually happen fairly quickly, within a week, or so. I've only had one client with side affects bad enough to stop the medication completely, in my 10 years working with hundreds of children. He developed a facial tic. It's a rare side affect, and the tics are usually permanent. But that's in the pamphlet given with the medication. Hit up Web MD and I'm sure all the answers to your questions are there. If not, let me know, and I'll share whatever I've learned over the years from the psychiatrist, and experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:14 pm
Hey 32_dragonfly,
My son was diagnosed with ADD when he was 11years old. It was suggested by his teacher that he may be suffering from this , he would daydream alot never could concentrate on what was going on and if there was any kind of noise around him thats all he could hear, that's all he would focus on. Unlike ADHD (H means hyperactive) My son is the totally opposite of hyper, his mind does not function well without his meds. He is now 17 and doing great in school but he can tell if he misses a dose, his mind wanders and he can't focus or concentrate in school. We went through many meds before we found the right one. He is on Strattera 60mg non-stimulant medication, which he won't get addicted to. After seeing him go through this I realized I had many of the same symptoms, after I had my Dr. test me and sure enough I had it too along with depression. she perscribed Adderall XR 25mg for ADD and Citolopram 40mg for my depression, and I now feel like a new person. I can actually get something done before I start something else, my house is actually starting to get organized which is a miracle! And yes everyone is different and i believe many kids get put on meds for an easy way out, so please have it all checked out and good luck, I lived with this for 43 years and not knowing what was wrong with me, i just thought I was an extremly lazy crazy person. But now life is great, when I finally figure what the hell was wrong with me! Add me to you friends and pm me anytime you need someone to talk to who has been through it!  

OneCrystalSnowAngel

8,800 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Entrepreneur 150

Sliverbolt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 am
i dont have add it just........oh look a bunny.
yes i do, i was digonsed when i was little but it was not nearly a bad enough case to put me on drugs. Now i kind of use it to my advantage.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 pm
I have ADHD, and I have been trying to do things a little different. I mentally try to work around my mental problems. I have a social worker, therapist and a ARMS worker (they are ones who work on mental rehabilitative issues). Right now she is helping me get my apartment organized, which helps me with the disorganization part of ADHD. It helps for me. I had flat out refused meds for the time being, but then again, me studying herbal medicine, I sometimes do not trust pills too much, but that is just me.

If you can check out places like CHADD.org that is a good place for learning about ADD/ADHD.  

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Sarah_Jones69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:47 pm
*stares out the window*
....Oh! Shiny object!
Wait.
What were we talking about?
Hehe, yes I have ADD, and I hate it...but I refuse to take meds, I hate taking pills.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff