Reply Advice Forum
Yar, I've got an itch to..... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KaShash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:44 pm
I've got an itch to turn one of my pet peeves (Ornery old fart ahoy!) into a guild.

I own a guild that's been.... well, basically abandoned. And would like to revamp it into a guild about:

True Literacy:
Gaians against the 'fad' use of the word 'Literate'

I get tired of that fad as it truely annoys me when I've got a four year degree in communications and get told I'm not "Literate enough". Bah, do I need my PhD to explaine that literacy is the proper and precise use of words as well as coherent grammar? xp Bah!

Anyway, I was wondering if people thought this may be a good guild idea as I'm wary of making the fort to revamp the old one if I won't get much for my efforts.

Anyone think they'd join? lol
Advice about the idea?
Randomness about the idea? lol  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:05 pm
www.bookcrossing.com

book talk forum, perhaps?  

Caither

KaShash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:03 pm
I'm confused. Are you suggesting I not make a guild on gaia about this then? sweatdrop I'm not really sure if the 'fad' use of 'literate' is popular outside of gaia though?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm
KaShash

I get tired of that fad as it truely annoys me when I've got a four year degree in communications and get told I'm not "Literate enough". Bah, do I need my PhD to explaine that literacy is the proper and precise use of words as well as coherent grammar? xp Bah!

That makes me laugh. I'd probably join something like that - although I'm not sure I could contribute that much. Since I've had kids my grammar has gone down hill - not to mention the coherancy of my spoken sentences (I'm sure typing is even worse).

But I'm kind of confused - "literacy" as in: grammar and sentence structure? Or "literacy" as in: I read a whole lot of books? (I know - I'm dense).  

Shinigami Unity

KaShash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:20 pm
Well, your first idea is correct, even though both definitions you listed can go hand in hand. IF you are well read, you then are used to the correct usage of text and language in text form. Also, if you are 'literate' in the definition of understanding, then you can comprehend books of a higher reading level.

Though all in all, I don't think I'll ever read the Iliad again, no matter how much higher my reading level gets above it. xp

My gripe is mostly with people who believe that 'literate' means the ability to write a s**t-load post for no other reason than you can. talk2hand Please, I can but it doesn't mean I'm going to. I can flick people off from the street corner, but that doesn't mean I will. neutral Something like that is situation appropriate, and so is a giant post.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:25 pm
Illiad... ehh... I had a harder time with Moby d**k - but that was probably because the subject matter was so uninteresting that I lost the whole point of the story. sweatdrop

That is a very good point. Although... I do tend to end up long-winded. ^_^
I have a similar gripe with college papers. Since I do most of my schoolwork online, my teachers tend to ask us to read other students' rough drafts and give pointers. I often find it difficult to do this when people take one point and expand it into a 3 page paper. That's not a good paper.

Thinking about it, I dislike hugely long posts for no reason to! xp  

Shinigami Unity

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:32 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but what would the goal of such a guild be? I mean, I agree with your statements thus far, I just don't see what the unifying purpose of the guild would be.

I too can attest to the misuse of 'literate' around these boards. Their posts may be well thought out and interesting but each mispelled word, each improperly tensed verb, makes for haggard reading.

Not that I'm perfect myself, but I do try.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 pm
A book forum or discussion would be nice..  

ladyshari

KaShash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:03 pm
Well, since this misuse is one of my pet peeves, I thought the guild would both be a source for people to find other truly literate RPers as well as a place to vent when you come across young whipper-snappers that say you're not literate because you used a concise post.

Actually, one person ued the fact that I can use more than one format to RP with as a reason for turning me down to be added to a list. Again, that is another reference to "I can doesn't mean I will"

I guess I just sigh heavily over here as meaning gets so lost in words when they're misinterpreted, but even more so when misused.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 pm
i would like to join such a guild. all these youngsters have made me a lazy typist and wistful of intellegent conversation  

medea malfoy

Puck the Elf

Feral Nerd

17,325 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:46 am
As a former English major and a fellow communications major, I would join such a guild. Just point me in the right direction.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:24 pm
Well, if there seems to be a few already willing to join then let me have about a week or two and I'll get the dust bunnies off the abandoned guild and repaint it to what we want now. 3nodding  

KaShash

KaShash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:46 pm
Ok, the basics are up if anyone wants to join now. If you have any suggestions or ideas on how to improve it (other than the obvious lack of images lol ) feel free to suggest them to me! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 am
KaShash
the guild would both be a source for people to find other truly literate RPers

Sold. Put up the link: the one in your sig says invalid ID...

And I suppose to expound upon my point, you have stated it with the utmost clarity. I run something of an elitist writing board that's about to take a step up in the world... All we need are some more active members, and then we can really get the show on the road. We're talking to site designers and advertisers and charities and literacy operations as well in order to maximize this endeavor. By the sound of it, you'd be interested as well. Torrent Oblivion is what we call it, and there's even a registration process to weed out the bots we used to get. I believe I made note about the site in the Role Play Threads Here section of this Guild. Feel free to check it out, and I hope to crash in on your new guild soon as well 3nodding  

Exor Omega

TamlinSan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:45 pm
I teach English grammar in a community college and have studied the "classics". I even have a Masters in English composition, but since I don't meticulously proofread my posts I get comments at times.

I don't know if a guild based on complaining will run for long though. It seems like it might go under as soon as people get tired of discussing the same thing over and over with little more than variations.

How about a section that instead looks for the worst written goofs, posts them, and has a good laugh about it? Here's a couple of examples I got from student papers.

Diana was the princess of whales.
After years of warfare, there was peas between the nations.  
Advice Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff